Recommend
11 
 Thumb up
 Hide
57 Posts
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 

Mechs vs. Minions» Forums » General

Subject: Will there be a German version? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Bruns
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmb
So now that you were at least able to see the first rush for your game. I'm curious: How likely is a German Version and if you are going to do it, what will be a realistic time frame? This one is a question mostly for the Riot emloyees I guess.

I'm still on the fence of waiting it out and hopefully getting a German version, so my friends and family would have an easier time enjoying this one or just jump on boat right now.

Sincerely an avid lol and boardgame player.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Cantrell
United States
California
flag msg tools
designer
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Anbucku wrote:
So now that you were at least able to see the first rush for your game. I'm curious: How likely is a German Version and if you are going to do it, what will be a realistic time frame? This one is a question mostly for the Riot emloyees I guess.

I'm still on the fence of waiting it out and hopefully getting a German version, so my friends and family would have an easier time enjoying this one or just jump on boat right now.

Sincerely an avid lol and boardgame player.


We're actively having conversations around this right now. Anything I tell you would only be speculation, though. I suspect if we do decide to translate MvM (and we'd like to), then German will most likely be on the initial lists of translated languages. Whether that happens in 6 months or 18 months (or at all), I don't yet have an answer for you.
12 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruns
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmb
hey and woah did not expect such a quick response.

Even though it didn't really help me in making up my mind. Still thank for the fast response and honesty. On another note I want to applaud you (aside from the game looking great) for your dedication and active contact to your audience. It really shows that you care for your game and some other big publishers could really take a leaf out of your book.

Guess I still have a few weeks before I'd commit to the english version one way or another. Maybe we will hear from you again in the near future with your localisation plans and i can make up my mind *hint hint*laugh
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Baier
Germany
flag msg tools
A German localization would be great. I could get it in English, but German would still be a little more convenient for some of my friends. I'd totally pick it up then.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Cantrell
United States
California
flag msg tools
designer
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd love your honest opinion on this thread:

https://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/1653654/riot-games-tran...

There's no right or wrong answer, but I would love to get more thoughts on that suggested approach. If we did an upgrade pack, it would launch at the same time as the full German version.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruns
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmb
You asked for it, so here is my humble opinion: With a language upgrade kit I bet you could make a bunch of non english boardgamers pretty happy. Even though the numbers of people needing/wanting one might not be as high as this forum makes them look to be.

I think you would probably have to see this more of an oportunity for fanservice than a chance to make money. From my experience (kickstarter etc) people would like a chance to upgrade or convert their original (early) version, but they are not willing to spend a fortune on it.

From my own experience I know those guys buying the english games in the first place, most likely wont have a problem with english. They can read the rules, understand and speak english just fine... so just the components have to be translated so you can win over other people easier to play the game with you.

As in your case if you just make the cards available for a low amount of money, most players would probably be really happy. Dossiers and rules would be downloadable and the only other components with longer english text are the playerboards with the overdrive mechanic and the lava side of the school tile. Those could be overlooked wihtout a problem.
It wouldn't be perfect but more than sufficient for the great majority.
So with a low pricepoint everyone would be happy, if the price in turn is too high though, you will see people throwing a tantrum about getting ripped off and paying big even though they were the first "supporters".

So the key thing is if the price is right people would be able to overlook all the minor quibles and praise you and your company even more. Because they can just enjoy the game even more so in their native language with friends and family, who are not as fluent in english as they are themselves.

I myself would be in right away buying the game, if I knew a language kit was coming, just so I can play before a true localisation is published,
Cheers Stephan
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grand Khan
Germany
Wiesbaden
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Anbucku wrote:
You asked for it, so here is my humble opinion: With a language upgrade kit I bet you could make a bunch of non english boardgamers pretty happy. Even though the numbers of people needing/wanting one might not be as high as this forum makes them look to be.

I think you would probably have to see this more of an oportunity for fanservice than a chance to make money. From my experience (kickstarter etc) people would like a chance to upgrade or convert their original (early) version, but they are not willing to spend a fortune on it.

From my own experience I know those guys buying the english games in the first place, most likely wont have a problem with english. They can read the rules, understand and speak english just fine... so just the components have to be translated so you can win over other people easier to play the game with you.

As in your case if you just make the cards available for a low amount of money, most players would probably be really happy. Dossiers and rules would be downloadable and the only other components with longer english text are the playerboards with the overdrive mechanic and the lava side of the school tile. Those could be overlooked wihtout a problem.
It wouldn't be perfect but more than sufficient for the great majority.
So with a low pricepoint everyone would be happy, if the price in turn is too high though, you will see people throwing a tantrum about getting ripped off and paying big even though they were the first "supporters".

So the key thing is if the price is right people would be able to overlook all the minor quibles and praise you and your company even more. Because they can just enjoy the game even more so in their native language with friends and family, who are not as fluent in english as they are themselves.

I myself would be in right away buying the game, if I knew a language kit was coming, just so I can play before a true localisation is published,
Cheers Stephan


Definitely true for me too although I have already ordered the English version.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
R R
msg tools
Hi Chris,

I'm very interested in purchasing MvM, but considering some people in my Playgroup really dislike english language in boardgames, i'd like to know, wether there are any news on a german translation, since i heard that wave 2 would start soon in NA.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Cantrell
United States
California
flag msg tools
designer
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
VanGovv wrote:
Hi Chris,

I'm very interested in purchasing MvM, but considering some people in my Playgroup really dislike english language in boardgames, i'd like to know, wether there are any news on a german translation, since i heard that wave 2 would start soon in NA.


In July, we should see Wave 2 ship in English and should also see a small allocation for German Wave 1 as well as a German Language upgrade pack. German is the only new language we will ship in July, but we will be watching those sales closely to better understand the risks with moving into a new language.

The next language(s) that we're looking at for a similar treatment are - in no order- French, Italian, Spanish, and Korean.
10 
 Thumb up
1.00
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andreas Lippert
Germany
flag msg tools
Absolutely awesome news.
Keep us up-to-date when the German Version is available
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
R R
msg tools
Indeed, awesome!

Do you know how much the upgrade Pack will cost and wether it will include mission dossiers?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Cantrell
United States
California
flag msg tools
designer
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
VanGovv wrote:

Do you know how much the upgrade Pack will cost and wether it will include mission dossiers?


It will definitely include the dossiers. Our goal was to replace everything that had English text on it with a replacement piece that had German. Minus the box. So no miniatures or trays, but cards, dossiers, rulebooks, and the boards that have any text on them.

The cost hasn't been finalized, yet. I suspect $10-$15?
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lara Spitz
msg tools
I also like the idea of a language upgrade kit for German very much.
Personally, I do not mind playing the english version of a game, but my girlfriend does and since she is my main gaming partner I would buy the upgrade kit instantly.

Btw, I already ordered the game in the end of november and yesterday I finally got my tracking number (but there is no tracking (yet)).
Hopefully, this game will arrive in the next days.

And since this is the first time I post in the Mechs vs. Minions forum, I would like to thank Riot Games and especially Chris for their awesome work!
I admit there are other boardgame companies with good customer service, but Riot Games is even above that.
When I first heard about Mechs vs. Minions and watched a review I was quite skeptical, but after reading Chris' comments in this forum I was very impressed by his kindness and honesty and friendly and courteous behaviour towards everyone. (I think it is important to treat your customers on an even level and not like they are stupid.)
This was the main reason I looked deeper into the game and then ordered it.

Thank you very much!
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leif Langsdorf
Germany
flag msg tools
I just received my english version, but a upgrade kit for German would be great, too.
Just tell me, when i can order it...! ;-)
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Cantrell
United States
California
flag msg tools
designer
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Bensa wrote:

Thank you very much!


Thanks, Lara. Hopefully you enjoy the experience if you get time to get it to the table. Happy Holidays!
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthias Nagy
Germany
Berlin
Berlin
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Riot Kades wrote:
VanGovv wrote:

Do you know how much the upgrade Pack will cost and wether it will include mission dossiers?


It will definitely include the dossiers. Our goal was to replace everything that had English text on it with a replacement piece that had German. Minus the box. So no miniatures or trays, but cards, dossiers, rulebooks, and the boards that have any text on them.

The cost hasn't been finalized, yet. I suspect $10-$15?


The more important question:
Where do I sign up for this to get that as soon as possible?
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Heike Pohl
msg tools
mb
I would also buy the german pack. Would be great.
When could I order it?
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Max
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I am looking foward to the german Upgrade Pack.
Hope it will be available soon.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Hohm
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I'd like to buy the German version in July.

Is there some kind of newsletter where I can sign up so that I don't miss it?
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marty McFly
Austria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
SO COOL!

Awesome News!

I will order the German Version in July too!
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
galar ralag
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Can i order the German Version in july or is the delivery in july?
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Cantrell
United States
California
flag msg tools
designer
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
We are projecting shipments will start in July, but we will ship it as soon as it is available. We are still finalizing the 'sale date' for German: Wave 1 and the German Upgrade Pack.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grossmutter
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Riot Kades wrote:
VanGovv wrote:

Do you know how much the upgrade Pack will cost and wether it will include mission dossiers?


It will definitely include the dossiers. Our goal was to replace everything that had English text on it with a replacement piece that had German. Minus the box. So no miniatures or trays, but cards, dossiers, rulebooks, and the boards that have any text on them.

The cost hasn't been finalized, yet. I suspect $10-$15?


I get goosebumps reading this!!!
That is the best Service I have experienced in a long time.
You are my "Rock in the Waves" in this greedy, fast-paced world we are living in nowadays.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Cantrell
United States
California
flag msg tools
designer
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Grossmutter wrote:

I get goosebumps reading this!!!
That is the best Service I have experienced in a long time.
You are my "Rock in the Waves" in this greedy, fast-paced world we are living in nowadays.


Heh; we're learning as we're going - just like everyone else. Can't promise that there won't be the occasional slip-up in the future. But we'll try our best to do right by you guys and then let the cards fall where they lay.

I'd feel a lot better reading kudos after we have gotten it into your hands in a way that you're excited about. Till then, it's just words. And words are pretty cheap.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mario Sandor
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Chris,
really looking forward to the German Edition.
Any idea when orders will be possible?
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.