Subject: Does it matter? Drafting rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Dsd
msg tools
badge
mb
Please explain in details.

why does the raven coin of drafting direction (clockwise/counterclockwise)matter?

how does it effect game if one draft clockwise or counterclockwise?

edited unnessasry negativity

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A Huynh
Canada
Vancouver
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Many drafting games switch drafting directions between rounds. This matters because in drafting games a core aspect is to think about what cards your opponents would want and potentially deny those to them. Switching directions makes you think about the strategies of people to your left *and* your right.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian
France
Lyon
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, and more so the turn order applies not only to the drafting but also to the Season phase and to the clashes, where it matters a lot.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tanguy Serra
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In my opinion, the crow direction and changing of direction is a really interesting mechanic:
- the Gates of Tir Na Nog are an interesting territory where if you have a clan (or ideally two) there you lose a clan but draw an epic tale card which is often a good trade
- you need to be careful what cards you pass to the player receiving the cards i.e. If your neighbor has iron mine you want to avoid passing warlord or conquest cards, if your neighbor has 5 sanctuaries or 5 territories you want to avoid passing exploration or new sanctuary - the change of order makes it interesting - so the changing of direction keeps it interesting on who is responsible to not pass the the relevant cards to the relevant player
- when conflict starts in a territory with citadels the order matters a lot

I generally think this game is amazing and the more I play the more layers and combos I find -
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dsd
msg tools
badge
mb
we just hope wait and see

pretty sure it will be great game

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Garnica
United States
West Covina
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I know this is an older thread, but I wanted to chime in because there is an element to the answer of your question that has not been sufficiently addressed.

On the surface it would appear that functionally it doesn't make a difference. But think about it this way:

In a four player game I am Brenn (1st player), and if I stay Brenn for 4 consecutive rounds, AND I happen to flip the coin toss and it always shows we go, say, counter-clockwise, that means that the player to my left will always be "last"...not just in turn order and clashes potentially, but also in drafting. This might matter depending on how the cards are initially dealt and which cards I hold onto or pass. There is less of a chance the player to my left would even see certain cards if other players along the way want them.

Let's say during the drafting phase I always got dealt the Bard, and 3 times out of 4 I kept it. But that last time I passed it for whatever reason. The player to my left still has a slimmer chance of ever seeing it if I've been flipping the coin going counter-clockwise, than if I've been flipping the coin clockwise...he'd see it next. It kinda sorta matters a little more than people realize.

Hope this clarifies the "gaminess" of the drafting token you flip.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.