Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
mark mcleod
United Kingdom
Birkenhead
Wirral
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have a single surface unit in the same hex as a Task Force but my opponent wins the initiative for the first Action segment so I can't combine the single ship into the Task Force yet.
My opponent attacks the surface unit, I know I can not use the Task Force for Close Anti Air but can I use them for Area Anti Air due to them being in the target hex?

Mark

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Edmund Hon
Canada
Maple
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, Area Anti Air defence includes all units in the attacked hex, and also all hexes that the attack passed thru, regardless of Task Force / Task Group composition.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mark mcleod
United Kingdom
Birkenhead
Wirral
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you Edmund, am I right about the Close Anti Air values?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darrell Pavitt
United Kingdom
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Don't have the rules at hand, but are you prevented from starting the scenario with ships in TF/TG? I thought you could set up that way, assuming they are in the same hex.

Edit: If you are talking about a later turn, then no, you must wait to join.

Otherwise, you are correct, and close AA can only be used by units in the same TF/TG.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mark mcleod
United Kingdom
Birkenhead
Wirral
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It was on a later turn which I knew I couldn't combine the single ship into the TF until the beginning of my surface segment.
Edmund confirmed for me that all the units in the target hex do add their Area Anti Air values to the total even if part of different TF/TG's.

But thanks for confirming that I was playing it correct by not adding the Close Anti Air values of units in other TF/TG's.

Mark

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mark mcleod
United Kingdom
Birkenhead
Wirral
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If at the end of a turn Nato get the last activation and destroy a ship which was part of a 2 Ship TG, then Nato get the first activation of the next turn, then they attack the lone ship. Does the lone ship get the benefit of being in a TG still even if it's on its own? I just had this scenario and I did not subtract 1 from the defense die roll for not being in a TF/TG. But I did subtract 3 for it being a lone ship in the hex.
That was the correct way to play out that scenario, right?

Mark

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darrell Pavitt
United Kingdom
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

In 2nd fleet (as opposed to the later games) it remains in a TG until the next friendly Surface action phase, so you do not use the non TF/TG penalty.

Not having the rules to hand, I cannot check if the defence mods are cumulative, I assume they are, in which case the -3 would apply.

This also means that on later turns, once the TG is dissolved, a lone ship would defend at -4, which is the same modifier for 5th and 3rd fleet rules.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
craig grinnell
United States
speer
Illinois
flag msg tools
Screaming Eagle and Damn Proud of it!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
markmc wrote:
Thank you Edmund, am I right about the Close Anti Air values?

You are correct about the Close AA. Only the target and the ship stacked directly beneath can contribute close AA values. Since the ship is alone (not in the TF/TG) then it can't be stacked with any other unit.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mark mcleod
United Kingdom
Birkenhead
Wirral
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
nyhotep wrote:

Not having the rules to hand, I cannot check if the defence mods are cumulative, I assume they are, in which case the -3 would apply.

This also means that on later turns, once the TG is dissolved, a lone ship would defend at -4, which is the same modifier for 5th and 3rd fleet rules.

Having looked at the rules again the defense modifiers of -1 for NOT being in a TG/TF and the -3 for being a lone ship in target hex are not cumulative. So once the TG is dissolved the lone ship defends at -3.

Mark

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
craig grinnell
United States
speer
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
markmc wrote:

Having looked at the rules again the defense modifiers of -1 for NOT being in a TG/TF and the -3 for being a lone ship in target hex are not cumulative. So once the TG is dissolved the lone ship defends at -3.

Mark

Only if the TG's ships are gone. Even if it no longer qualifies as a "Group," if there is more than one ship in the hex, only the "-1" applies. A dissolved TG can still leave several "target practice type" ships in the hex (CRs, CSs, AAs,...)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mark mcleod
United Kingdom
Birkenhead
Wirral
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
When the rules say "Combine Area Anti-Air values of all units in target hex" for SSM and Bombing, do you include any aircraft Anti Air that are on the carriers?

Mark

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
craig grinnell
United States
speer
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
markmc wrote:
When the rules say "Combine Area Anti-Air values of all units in target hex" for SSM and Bombing, do you include any aircraft Anti Air that are on the carriers?

Mark

Me? Nope.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tommy F
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
Nope. However in the later fleet games (5th and 3rd if I remember right) you get a bonus for having F14s flying CAP overhead.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mark mcleod
United Kingdom
Birkenhead
Wirral
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
grinnell1969 wrote:
markmc wrote:

Mark

Me? Nope.

Thanks
Mark

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mark mcleod
United Kingdom
Birkenhead
Wirral
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
NYC8206 wrote:
Nope. However in the later fleet games (5th and 3rd if I remember right) you get a bonus for having F14s flying CAP overhead.

Thanks for confirming this.
In 2nd Fleet you also get the F14 bonus (2 per F14) and 1 per other INT air unit.

Mark

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.