Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Martin Windischer
Austria
Innsbruck
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
This is an entry for the 18 Card Microgame Contest 2016.

Print and Play File (printer friendly)
Print and Play File (full colour)

Circle is an abstract 2-player game. It's mainly tactical, but also has some bluff and luck components.
It's not really a WIP, as it's already well tested and finished, but I don't know where else I should have posted it.

Here are the rules:

And here are the cards:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ghislain LEVEQUE
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I love your color selection
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Odd Hackwelder
Taiwan
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
One design thing to try. Instead of black background, how about the light tan like in the small circles. The black doesn't fit in my opinion and heavy for a PNP.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Windischer
Austria
Innsbruck
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
courtjus wrote:
I love your color selection

Thanks. The first version I designed was the printer friendly one, and when I added the parchment background I had to change the colours of the circles as the original colours didn't fit. I chose some dirty versions of the colours and I'm quite happy with the result.

Hackogames wrote:
One design thing to try. Instead of black background, how about the light tan like in the small circles. The black doesn't fit in my opinion and heavy for a PNP.

Do you think of something like this?

I must admit I don't really like it.
I think a black border is important so the players can instantly recognize the type of the card.
But this way there is too much contrast at the borders, while there is not enough contrast in the center of the card.
Of course there would be also the option of enlargen the scroll to get rid of the large amount of black, but if the sroll is too big it can happen that it doesn't look like a card back but rather like a blank card front.
So for the moment I would rather keep the design.

For printing purposes I also made a printer friendly PDF, so I don't think the blackness hurts anyone.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Odd Hackwelder
Taiwan
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't know about the black border.
I meant even lighter on the background half of that.
Maybe no border, if you want, keep that shade of tan for border and light in the middle.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Miller
United States
College Station
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
Could you use the top-right image (on the cards with the black background) as the backs? Use the parchment piece in place of the "S"?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C. L.
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just played two-handed (so no bluffing), printer-friendly version. Elegant little game. Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JK
New Zealand
flag msg tools
designer
Hi Martin.

Had a quick game of Circles today with my son. We both thought it a clever game, but need to play more before giving any feedback. The only flaw I noticed this time around is on instruction card 1 "deduct" should be "deduce" I think.

Will play some more soon and let you know if I have any suggestions.

Nice work!
JK
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Garry Hoddinott
Australia
Brisbane
Queensland
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I played Circles when I first made it - very early in the contest, and actually forgot how much I had enjoyed it. Returned to it on NYE - and found the experience fresh and fun. The first inclination is to play circle cards, it took awhile to see the advantage of changing the scroll card. The game works well for a best of three series. I am sure it will hit the table again every now and then. Thanks for your game, Martin.

Oh one small question that didn't affect the play of the game - In the rules it says that cards have to stay "in the rectangular grid". I didn't see where that was defined. What did you mean by that?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Windischer
Austria
Innsbruck
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for playing and liking it

I used "rectangular grid", so people don't think that it's allowed to play the cards chaotically (turned by 60°, or moved 1cm to the side, or such strange things). In the end you will see the cards forming a rectangular grid, that's why I used this term.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.