Subject: CGs that play like CCGs (but aren't C)? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
M D
United States
Cos Cob
CT
flag msg tools
The gameplay of CCG's has always appealed to me but not the singularity they open up near my wallet that sucks out all the cash. Are there any kind of fixed deck card games that have the feel of a CCG? Thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Colin Hunter
New Zealand
Auckland
flag msg tools
badge
Stop the admins removing history from the Wargaming forum.
mbmbmbmbmb
Blue moon would be my suggestion. It is a really good games and it can be played with deck construction.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul DeStefano
United States
Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
It's a Zendrum. www.zendrum.com
mbmbmbmbmb
Blue Moon seconded.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Blue Moon thirdeded.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ray Favocci
United States
Cherry Hill
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Blue Moon fourtheded

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eddie Mittelstedt
United States
Hampstead
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
Tower Siege by Arcane Games

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Silbey
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Blue Moon is probably the best you can do. It's a great game, but it doesn't really feel like Magic, Netrunner, Middle Earth, either of the Star Wars ccgs or other "true" ccgs.

There are several geeklists on this subject, I don't have their links though and, from memory, most of the geeklists on this subject include card games like Jambo, Camelot Legends, etc., that don't have customization.

Edit: I don't know why I assumed that deck customization was part of your criteria for a "card game that feels like a ccg." I've posted a few relevant geeklists below.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J.L. Robert
United States
Sherman Oaks
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Follow me for wargames!
mbmbmbmbmb
Get both. A CG that's derived from a CCG, that's derived from a CG!

Find Illuminati: New World Order's "One With Everything" box set. It has 1 copy of each card from the Base Set of INWO. More than enough to play the CCG version of the game just like the original, non-collectible version.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Wiles
United States
Macon
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Blue Moon
Jambo
Minotaur Lords
Scarab Lords

If you have the willpower, it is quite possible to make a single purchase of $25-$50 and pick up enough of a single dead CCG (or commons from a not-so-dead one) on eBay or elsewhere to be able to enjoy the CCG experience. Much of the enjoyment of a CCG is experimenting with different decks, tweaking them to make them better, and working out which cards are actually good versus being a waste of cardboard.

hillswholesalegaming has boxes of CCGs for sale very cheap on ebay. I've purchased from them before. They rock.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Davis
United States
New Concord
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Horrific I believe is another game in the Blue Moon mold. You also might consider Jambo.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Silbey
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Some relevant geeklists:

Non-collectible ccgs
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/1242

non-CCG cards-with-rules-printed-on-them
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/7718

XCG's: The Definitive List of EXPANDABLE Card Games
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/4282

This is a topic that I am very interested in. I would like to find a game that has customization, lots of options, one deck (or tile bag or whatever) per player and fixed/non-collectible sets. Not sure if that is what you're looking for though.

Some of the games suggested, like Jambo and Scarab Lords are excellent games that do have a ccg feeling but lack in customization (yes, scarab lords has a "sideboard" of cards that can be used- but players don't begin play with customized decks).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd say just get older ccg's that are dead and can be purchased online for cheap. Why downgrade?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Johnson
Australia
Perth
Western Australia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
J.L.Robert wrote:
Get both. A CG that's derived from a CCG, that's derived from a CG!

Find Illuminati: New World Order's "One With Everything" box set. It has 1 copy of each card from the Base Set of INWO. More than enough to play the CCG version of the game just like the original, non-collectible version.

And it comes with a rules variant so anything up to half a dozen players can play just using the box set as a single deck. A very good suggestion.

I also suggest Fluxx and all its cousins. I came to it from M:tG and it shares the traits I loved of Magic.

Finally, Universal Fighting System: Penny Arcade may look like a CCG, but it's not sold that way. It's sold just like the INWO box set.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Karp
United States
Rockville
Maryland
flag msg tools
admin
Developin' Developin" Developin!!
badge
100 geekgold for OverText, and all I got was this stupid sentence.
mbmb
Blue moon is good, although it is far from cheap, if you get all of the decks (which you will probably want to get). You might find it cheaper to get fixed decks from a dead CCG. Or, if you are interested in deck-building, you could get cards from a cheap dead CCG.

I recently got more Harry Potter CCG cards than I could ever use for incredibly cheap. Wholesalegaming.com was selling them at $2 per box of 24 boosters. Along with one starter and one box of 36 boosters for the first expansion, I paid about $25 shipped. that is much cheaper that Blue Moon.

I also recently picked up the fixed Challenge decks for the Middle-Earth CCG. These can be played as a stand-along game--no need to buy more cards. They are also priced very reasonably.

I haven't played either of them yet, so I can't say anything about how good they are, but the price certainly is right.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug Faust
United States
Malverne
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Check out this thread:

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/155978

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mitch Willis
United States
Kathleen
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Aside from Blue Moon, you might also want to check out:

Coppertwaddle
Ruse & Bruise
Hera and Zeus
Ivanhoe
Nature of the Beast: Farm vs. Forest
Kung Fu Fighting

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J.L. Robert
United States
Sherman Oaks
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Follow me for wargames!
mbmbmbmbmb
dakarp wrote:
I recently got more Harry Potter CCG cards than I could ever use for incredibly cheap. Wholesalegaming.com was selling them at $2 per box of 24 boosters. Along with one starter and one box of 36 boosters for the first expansion, I paid about $25 shipped. that is much cheaper that Blue Moon.

And if any of you are looking for Harry Potter CCG stuff, hit me up with an email.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Davis
Australia
Canberra
flag msg tools
This game here if you like comic book superheroes

Powerstorm

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Key Locks
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
I've heard people say Fairy Tale feels like a CCG because of its card drafting mechanic.

Also, there are some games like Brawl and Fightball which are considered to be "semi-collectible" because they exist in the form of a small number of preconstructed decks, so that it's not too painful to collect the whole series if you want. I don't know if these are the types of games you are looking for though, as they might not resemble any CCG you've ever played. They may appeal to you if you are interested in real-time games.

By the way, the title of this thread could be construed as "Collectible Games that play like Collectible Card Games (but aren't Card)?" in the unlikely case that the author has unlimited disposible income and an irrational aversion to cards. In that case, I might suggest any of a number of different miniatures games. shake

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Finazzo
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hera and Zeus always feels like Netrunner to me. You get to play both attack and defense every game though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Jome
United States
Franklin
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
As others have said, Blue Moon is a good choice.

Camelot Legends is very like a collectible card game converted into non-collectible board game format. I really enjoy it.

Another common idea is to play Magic with the preconstructed decks that they sell for every expansion. The play is very good, you get a regular influx of new cards, you don't waste time on deck construction, it's a game many people know and enjoy, and the cost is very minimal - roughly $12 per deck, 3 or 4 decks are available every quarter or so (not that you have to buy them all). I've been doing this for awhile and despite my disenchantment with Magic in general, I feel it's the best way to enjoy the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ender Wiggins
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've just created a GeekList to address this question, and included some of the suggestions above. Please add other suggestions, and comment on the suitability of the existing entries!

Non-collectible card games with CCG-type qualities
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/21597

I'm especially intrigued by Nature of the Beast: Farm vs. Forest - is anyone familiar with this game at all?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.