Subject: Discarding domino's rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Schout bij Nacht
Netherlands
Utrecht
flag msg tools
mbmbmb

Main question: Is het compulsary to place a domino?

The rules state that you must discard a domino if you can't add it to your kingdom following the placement rules. I'm wondering if you are allowed to discard a domino, even if you can place the domino according to the rules (this is definitely beneficial from time to time).

Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sebastian
Germany
Hürth
NRW
flag msg tools
I won an Games for Geekgold Lottery with 0.09% Chance of winning. You sure you wanna mess with me?
mbmbmbmbmb
I was wondering the same thing and after consulting all the rules I understand (german, french, English, dutch), I came to the conclusion that you MUST place if possible. You may only discard if you CANNOT play.

For example the English rules say you "must" place it in your Kingdom. If you cannot place it you "must" discard it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
bruno cathala
France
st pierre en faucigny
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I confirm that if you have a possibility to play, you MUST play
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robin Schulze
Germany
Halle
Sachsen-Anhalt
flag msg tools
I was wondering the same...
But is it possible to place a domino I don't want so that it is outside the 5x5 field to get rid of it? (The rules say, that domino's placed outside the 5x5 field or overhang it are discarded/scored zero)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bart R.
Belgium
Tongeren
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The way I read is that a domino that can't be placed is discarded immediately - you can't place it and then leave it out at the end when you score.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sebastian
Germany
Hürth
NRW
flag msg tools
I won an Games for Geekgold Lottery with 0.09% Chance of winning. You sure you wanna mess with me?
mbmbmbmbmb
orobu wrote:
I was wondering the same...
But is it possible to place a domino I don't want so that it is outside the 5x5 field to get rid of it? (The rules say, that domino's placed outside the 5x5 field or overhang it are discarded/scored zero)

I sense some serious rules lawyering here

Kingdomino Rules wrote:
All your dominoes must fit in 5x5 grid. If, due to
bad planning, one or more of your dominoes could
not fit, they are discarded.

You only discard tiles you cannot legally play in your 5x5 grid. No voluntary discarding. No placing out of 5x5 grid.

Or as a cat would say: "If it fits - it sits".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lars Ehresmann
Germany
Haan
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
german rules (Pegasus edition) clearly state that you may choose not to place the chosen tile ("darfst.. verzichten").

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Spider Jerusalem
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
TermiGator wrote:
[q="orobu"]I was wondering the same...

I sense some serious rules lawyering here

Kingdomino Rules]All your dominoes must fit in 5x5 grid. If, due to
bad planning, one or more of your dominoes could
not fit, they are discarded.[/q wrote:

You only discard tiles you cannot legally play in your 5x5 grid. No voluntary discarding. No placing out of 5x5 grid.

Or as a cat would say: "If it fits - it sits".

I think being able to discard tiles at will would be against the spirit of the game, as the bidding phase and your choice of tiles would have less of an impact. In other words, if you made a bad choice, you wouldn't have to deal with it.

The OP claims being able to discard a tile would be beneficial from time to time, but you would end up with an incomplete kingdom, so I suspect that, in the balance of things, the benefits are outweighed by the points you don't score.

In any case, Bruno has confirmed that you must play a title, if you are legally able to do so, so it sounds like the Pegasus rules need to be corrected.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sebastian
Germany
Hürth
NRW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
larse wrote:
german rules (Pegasus edition) clearly state that you may choose not to place the chosen tile ("darfst.. verzichten").

Yes - you are right. German Pegasus Rules added a complete sentence which is not present in any of the languages (8 different including german...whistle) in the blueorange Version.

So Pegasus just added a new rule which is not in the designers intend...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dmitri Dolgov
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
mb
TermiGator wrote:
larse wrote:

Yes - you are right. German Pegasus Rules added a complete sentence which is not present in any of the languages (8 different including german...whistle) in the blueorange Version.

So Pegasus just added a new rule which is not in the designers intend...

I think allowing to discard a tile would make it more fun, since it might reduce randomness and forcing a player to make "bad moves" just because she was last in the queue. Besides, discarding a tile is already a penalty in itself because of missing those tiles' potential VPs.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mister lee
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I like the rule of being forced to place it.
It makes you plan well that you aren't grabbing just any good looking tile.

The funny thing is that people forget that the tile you just bid on isn't the one you place. so sometimes they think they are placing the perfect tile only to find out that they just moved off a tile that must be played and blocks out the next tile.

I love that part.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sebastian
Germany
Hürth
NRW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
canadiankorean wrote:
I like the rule of being forced to place it.
It makes you plan well that you aren't grabbing just any good looking tile.

The funny thing is that people forget that the tile you just bid on isn't the one you place. so sometimes they think they are placing the perfect tile only to find out that they just moved off a tile that must be played and blocks out the next tile.

I love that part.

I also think, forcing to play makes it a bit more challenging.
Lately I tried to reserve a space next to my castle as long as possible to have a "joker" placement leftover just in case.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tyler Gingrich
United States
Hilliard
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't grasp how a tile "wouldn't fit"?

It might suck for scoring or completely screw up your kingdom but how would it not fit?

Also, if you could discard a tile you would give up the points for a 5x5 kingdom.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sebastian
Germany
Hürth
NRW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
tylergingrich wrote:

A new tile has to match to one other landscape next to it with the castle being a joker.

This way you can easily create "monocultures" where you need a certain type of terrain to be allowed to place the tile at all.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marcel
Netherlands
Den haag
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
tylergingrich wrote:

It might suck for scoring or completely screw up your kingdom but how would it not fit?

Also, if you could discard a tile you would give up the points for a 5x5 kingdom.

A tile has to border the castle tile or match an adjacent tile and is not allowed to go outside the 5x5 grid.
In the games I have played, more often then not do people have 1, sometimes 2, tiles they can not play.

(I must add never play with bonus points for using all tiles, so people do not aim for it.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mouldy Banana
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmb
canadiankorean wrote:
Similar to that is when playing 2 players, each bids for 2 tiles and the tiles must be placed in order. On one occasion I had to discard both tiles because the 1st tile could only be placed if I could place the 2nd tile first

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.