United States
Saint Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We are exploring miniatures right now. Here are WIP shots of the Knight and the awake Dragon. The campaign will be structured in a way that the campaign will pay for the molds, so compared to the per unit cost the goal might seem a bit high. Remember I have to make the molds, print it all, and ship it all with one lump of cash. Anyway here is some in progress photos to get you excited.

During the KS we want to offer a full set of miniatures, a little expansion for people that don't care about miniatures, and once it crosses a certain threshold second edition copies of the game. If you pre-ordered Caryl and I are working out how to combine shipping right now.

Assuming we do any of it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas -
Denmark
Aalborg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The dragon is spot on! The knight looks a tad like an old woman, methinks.

Still very interesting! I'll definitely keep an eye out for the campaign.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Harrell
United States
Wichita
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Those are looking really nice. The dragon is really looking like the art, however, I feel that his pose could be a little more dynamic. Maybe turn his head to the side so he is not looking straight ahead, and reposition his legs so that all four legs are not in the same position. I think you can still retain the art style but give the mini a bit of "movement".

Can't wait to back this on kickstarter.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Williams
Canada
Mississauga
Ontario
flag msg tools
ThomasDN wrote:
The dragon is spot on! The knight looks a tad like an old woman, methinks.

It would probably help if her head were finished

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This is the knight and thief I'm using. I haven't painted them up yet, but I think they matched the art style well. I also haven't found a good dragon model that isn't huge or any good goblins with banners I can put their tribes on so I'm glad to see these new models.

I don't know what line of miniatures these were from though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ぶる ぶるっ
msg tools
Night fell and the hours dragged on, but still we murmured to each other of the King and the Pallid Mask, and midnight sounded from the misty spires in the fog-wrapped city.
badge
We spoke of Hastur and of Cassilda, while outside the fog rolled against the blank window-panes as the cloud waves roll and break on the shores of Hali.
mbmbmbmbmb
ThomasDN wrote:
The knight looks a tad like an old woman, methinks.

Old woman... ?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
François Mahieu
Belgium
Rhode-Saint-Genèse
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
What about those ones?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Johnson
msg tools
I rather like the looks of these. They look appropriately cartoony without being chibi, and that's a look you don't see in miniatures... pretty much at all, really. These could be a lot of fun to paint, and one could use some really unusual techniques on them without breaking the aesthetic.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Baker
United States
Fishers
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
GreenM wrote:
We are exploring miniatures right now. Here are WIP shots of the Knight and the awake Dragon.

Exciting! The knight appears a little more, um, shapely that I would have expected from the artwork.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam Carroll
United States
Urbana
Illinois
flag msg tools
Soli Deo Gloria!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
buruburub wrote:
Old woman... ?

Man!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas -
Denmark
Aalborg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
buruburub wrote:
ThomasDN wrote:

Old woman... ?

Yes, based on her pose and the length of her garments.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ぶる ぶるっ
msg tools
Night fell and the hours dragged on, but still we murmured to each other of the King and the Pallid Mask, and midnight sounded from the misty spires in the fog-wrapped city.
badge
We spoke of Hastur and of Cassilda, while outside the fog rolled against the blank window-panes as the cloud waves roll and break on the shores of Hali.
mbmbmbmbmb
ThomasDN wrote:
buruburub wrote:
ThomasDN wrote:

Old woman... ?

Yes, based on her pose and the length of her garments.

I see...
Still, you may find effect allayed by the addition of a face.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ぶる ぶるっ
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
spartax wrote:
buruburub wrote:
Old woman... ?

Man!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Freelance Police
United States
Palo Alto
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Khift wrote:
I rather like the looks of these. They look appropriately cartoony without being chibi, and that's a look you don't see in miniatures... pretty much at all, really. These could be a lot of fun to paint, and one could use some really unusual techniques on them without breaking the aesthetic.

The Reaper Miniatures guys will be all over this! laugh

Take a look at the Impact Miniatures KS to get a feel for a KS campaign with "cute" miniatures. IM may also be helpful in organizing your KS campaign, although their figures are resin, iirc. They do have plastic injection experience with dice.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Johnson
msg tools
Sam and Max wrote:
Khift wrote:

The Reaper Miniatures guys will be all over this! laugh

Take a look at the Impact Miniatures KS to get a feel for a KS campaign with "cute" miniatures. IM may also be helpful in organizing your KS campaign, although their figures are resin, iirc. They do have plastic injection experience with dice.
I took a look at that campaign and I'd still classify those as chibi to be honest. Big heads, big eyes. They're a little more western than the Super Dungeon Explore minis, but chibi is as chibi does.

That said resin is definitely the material of choice here. Plastic molds would be inordinately expensive.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick Leder
United States
Saint Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I buried the lead here. Chad Hoverter is doing the miniatures.

Thomas - Let's see what the face and hair does. Her backpack is pushing her forward.

François - Awesome picture. I'll get some big tiles together.

Paul - I have commented about this with Kyle and Chad. Some people were worried about replacing the standees (and the art) with miniatures. But Chad and Kyle are working so well together, ehn.

Brian - Agreed.

Adam - I am definitely moving in that direction right now. For sure reasons to do it and to not do it, right now do it is winning.

All - Thanks for your comments.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas -
Denmark
Aalborg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
GreenM wrote:
Thomas - Let's see what the face and hair does. Her backpack is pushing her forward.

Oh absolutely! In hindsight I see that my comment may be perceived as more negative than I intended it to be.

Looking at the dragon I'm sure that your guys will do a great job with the knight and other figures as well. I look forward to seeing the final results.

I disagree with Targus on the pose of the dragon. I think the poses from the graphics should be kept for the minis!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Katharina Schrempf
Austria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I love the dragon. Normally I'm not interested in miniatures and rather play without, but I really like the cartoon style.

I agree that the stature of the knight makes it look like that she is older - and a bit bulky. The pictures of her are more of a young, scrawny woman. If you want to stay close to the pictures, I would make her overall thinner, especially in the waist and shoulders.
The accessoires are spot on though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.