Subject: question concerning home teacher and end game use of it rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Kris Maes
Belgium
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I just finished a solo game .
I started with the light brown home teacher card (or whatever it is called in english)
It allows you to play a person card for 1 coin, at any time (blue background).

I had two cards left at the end of the game, each worth 2 points.
So i could, for two coins, play both, I thought. Only problem is that phase 7 gives income, and the game ends after phase 9.

So I was wondering if you could use that income to buy those cards. It would also be usefull to prevent having to take a -3 tile in case you have 1 empty space in your last feast (and are out of money besides the last income).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Brooks
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
Proud writer for iSlayTheDragon
badge
mbmbmb
The rules (End of the Game and Scoring, Final Income) say:

"do not pay out the income of the final round; instead, write it down in the "Final Income" category of the scoring pad."

I would guess that you can can't use money from the final round income during the feast or to use any card benefits.

Edit: see Frank's official answer below. You are allowed to use money from income.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
GAF Blizzard
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
dotKeller wrote:
The rules (End of the Game and Scoring, Final Income) say:

"do not pay out the income of the final round; instead, write it down in the "Final Income" category of the scoring pad."

I would guess that you can use money from the final round income during the feast or to use any card benefits.

This would be a good question to get confirmation from Rosenberg on. I would guess the opposite -- since you are explicitly instructed not to pay out the final round income, you do not have the physical coins to use card benefits or place on boards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Brooks
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Typo, I meant to say can't. So we are in agreement that you can not use the money from your final income for harvest or card abilities.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Petersen
Denmark
Copenhagen
flag msg tools
So you wouldnt be able to use it during the last feast either? Thats a Big deal since there is no harvest in the final round.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Brooks
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Armsved wrote:
So you wouldnt be able to use it during the last feast either? Thats a Big deal since there is no harvest in the final round.

Correct. Though considering round 6 provides a bountiful 1-4 harvest and your income should be at a decent to high level you'd really have to be hurting in order for the final Feast to be tight.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dok Indigo
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

The german rules say that you do not have to get your last income in money, instead you may note it down on the scoring pad.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank Heeren
Germany
Eppstein-Bremthal
flag msg tools
publisher
badge
mbmbmb
zowieso wrote:
So I was wondering if you could use that income to buy those cards. It would also be usefull to prevent having to take a -3 tile in case you have 1 empty space in your last feast (and are out of money besides the last income).

Yes, you can use the income from the last round to use the home teacher or in the feast phase.
Writing the incomce down instead of taking it is rather an option for convenient handling then a must-follow-rule.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andreas Vecstric
Sweden
Malmö
Skåne
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the official answer Frank. thumbsup
This really needs to be cleared up in later versions of the rules. (In my opinion the whole thing about not taking coins in the final scoring and the line about it on the scoresheet could just go away altogether. Sure it's more streamlined to just do the regular 'get your money' and 'score all extra silver'?)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Leitner
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
nan3000 wrote:
zowieso wrote:

Yes, you can use the income from the last round to use the home teacher or in the feast phase.
Writing the incomce down instead of taking it is rather an option for convenient handling then a must-follow-rule.

Frank,

I'm sorry, but this is a rather odd explanation. The rule as written in the rulebook is pretty clear. It says that no income is taken. That has significant implications for the final feast and any other actions that use coins.

How is that optional?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dok Indigo
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

It is optional in the german rules. Seems to be a translation error.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank Heeren
Germany
Eppstein-Bremthal
flag msg tools
publisher
badge
mbmbmb
MDJD wrote:
nan3000 wrote:
zowieso wrote:

Frank, I'm sorry, but this is a rather odd explanation. The rule as written in the rulebook is pretty clear. It says that no income is taken. That has significant implications for the final feast and any other actions that use coins.
How is that optional?

Sorry, but the translation has bot been accurate on this. We will add it to the Errata and clarifications. But normally you'll end the last round with some silver anyway.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
GAF Blizzard
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
nan3000 wrote:
zowieso wrote:

That's super important, I'll pencil in an "optional" in my rulebook. Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mfl134
United States
Havertown
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
My words literally betray me.
mbmbmbmbmb
nan3000 wrote:
MDJD wrote:
nan3000 wrote:
zowieso wrote:

Frank, I'm sorry, but this is a rather odd explanation. The rule as written in the rulebook is pretty clear. It says that no income is taken. That has significant implications for the final feast and any other actions that use coins.
How is that optional?

Sorry, but the translation has bot been accurate on this. We will add it to the Errata and clarifications. But normally you'll end the last round with some silver anyway.

and the intent is to score for your income even if you happen to have already covered all your -1 spaces ahead of time? (a situation where that income would have no value)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
GAF Blizzard
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
mfl134 wrote:
and the intent is to score for your income even if you happen to have already covered all your -1 spaces ahead of time? (a situation where that income would have no value)

I think this has to be the intent -- you always score or gain your final income.

Otherwise, it would be really obnoxious to calculate. You would have to score your final income, UNLESS your final income is 10 and you only have 8 "-1" spaces, in which case you would have to adjust it etc.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dok Indigo
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mfl134 wrote:
nan3000 wrote:
MDJD wrote:
nan3000 wrote:
zowieso wrote:

How is that optional?

What? Silver is always worth points. Be it on -1 spaces or in your personal supply.
Covering -1 spaces with silver is of no benefit for itself, you either have a -1 space and a silver, worth 0 points in total or you cover a -1 space with a silver that otherwise would score you a point, also 0 points total.

The rule to note the final income on the sheet is just for bookkeeping issues, you save yourself the hassle to get your income in silver and you save the time to count that silver for points.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mfl134
United States
Havertown
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
My words literally betray me.
mbmbmbmbmb
Hexendoktor wrote:
mfl134 wrote:
nan3000 wrote:
MDJD wrote:
nan3000 wrote:
zowieso wrote:

How is that optional?

What? Silver is always worth points. Be it on -1 spaces or in your personal supply.
Covering -1 spaces with silver is of no benefit for itself, you either have a -1 space and a silver, worth 0 points in total or you cover a -1 space with a silver that otherwise would score you a point, also 0 points total.

The rule to note the final income on the sheet is just for bookkeeping issues, you save yourself the hassle to get your income in silver and you save the time to count that silver for points.

Indeed!

"what? " indeed

thanks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.