Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Volker Hirscher
Germany
Oftersheim
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi all,

I own Polis and played it (only one time so far). The game was... ok. I tried to find anything negative about the game here on BGG, just to find out why I did not glow for the game as many people here do. But - there are not negatives about this game in the forums (at least I found nothing).

What somehow bothered me was that the "tax" action where you collect resources felt mandatory and somehow "automatic", i.e. something you have to do and there is not real alternative left. So both of us ended up moving our armies around (the more hoplites the better), so we can collect as many resources as possible. Mostly it was only one or two armies who were travelling through and collecting, travelling and collecting and so on...

Anyone else had this repetitive feeling? Maybe we got something wrong? There must be something about this game if there are so many and only positive reviews.

Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Tam
United States
Belmont
California
flag msg tools
Follow the Map!
badge
These organisms are cleaning out an eye socket infection
mbmbmbmbmb
play online at http://en.3.boardgamearena.com

There are experienced players there. You will learn how to play without is boring move/collect, etc.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fritz Richard K.
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Too bad you didn`t enjoy the game so much.

Did you take into account that every military action (troop movement, claiming resources, besieging a Polis) costs one precious prestige point?

Did you consider the blocking of enemy troop movement, by land and at sea?

Well, sure it`s necessary to tax your territories each round. How else would you come by grain for your population? Makes quite sense to me thematically.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roger Reisinger
msg tools
mbmb
Polis has a large amount of euro mechanics in it. If you came in thinking it was a straight up wargame I can see why you'd be dissapointed.

The taxing for resources is somewhat samey but it gets pretty interesting in later rounds when you are being blocked out of areas, trying to protect others, and have that damn politico flying around causing trouble.

I think the game is great.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Volker Hirscher
Germany
Oftersheim
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
That's a lot of prestige to spend on actions you don't feel are necessary.

I think they ARE necessary, still they feel samey...

Thanks for the input so far. We played the rules correctly, but maybe did use the mechanism of blocking sufficiently (although one single blocking in the last round brought me victory). Still, I guess I might actually trade the game away.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Daglish
United Kingdom
Cheadle
Cheshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Lowecore wrote:
If you came in thinking it was a straight up wargame I can see why you'd be dissapointed.

but if you lose three land battles you'll be pretty much finished.

The combat system is adequate, but there's a feeling it could have been improved, to match the rest of the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michel Ouimet
Canada
Montréal
Québec
flag msg tools
mbmb
I've heard of people playing Polis in a sort of "parallel ways", not interacting much with the opponent. I think Polis is at its best when you play it "agressively", i.e. exploiting any economic, territorial or military weakness of your opponent, while trying to do the best move possible at each round, like in chess. In that kind of tensed game, each action is a brain smelter :-)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Arunas Rudis
Lithuania
Vilnius
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Polis is the game which gives many options to the player, but after few plays just a 1 or 2 options is meaningful if the player considering wining

Initial sieges of level 2 cities is very important and if you had bad luck... Your receive the challenge to your brain which could be enjoyable if you mind likes masochistic experiences.

Battles: Fun for Sparta not fun for Athens due to predetermined first player move and rules about retreat.

So this game plays like train on rails and the sieges and battles is like railroad switches.

P.S. If I play it I play it online (bookkeeping and in general like to play games with more players life), but does anybody played this game where first player in the battle is decided by initial die roll?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.