Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Fake Name
Germany
Cologne
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi,

we played today for the first Time with the starter Deck and ended up with a tie. Maybe it's my fault but I couldnt find a Tie breaker in the rules.
Also the "fight" for the last circle was pretty long and boring. We felt that maybe the game would be better if we would end it one circle earlier, so the last circle would never be scored. This would also minimise the Risk for Ties i.m.h.o.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kai Mölleken
Germany
45147 Essen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My first advice would be to play again and draft your decks this time (as described in the rules) instead of taking the starter cards. Those are meant to show you how the game works. The game is meant to be played with a deck of cards you drafted at the beginning of the game. Play again, this time drafting your deck, and the experience will probably be a different one.

Your issue about ties is one that I wouldn't really consider that much without seeing ties come up consistently. Yes, there is no tie breaker in the rules. But in how many cases would you actually need one? There's one case: If both players managed to get 3 tiles worth 7 points, 2 tiles worth 5 points and the exact same number of reward tokens. If the tiles are distributed in any other way between the two players the number of reward tokens needed to achieve a tie is high enough to ensure that this won't happen too often (if at all).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Latto
United States
Foxboro
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Kaermo wrote:
But in how many cases would you actually need one? There's one case: If both players managed to get 3 tiles worth 7 points, 2 tiles worth 5 points and the exact same number of reward tokens. If the tiles are distributed in any other way between the two players the number of reward tokens needed to achieve a tie is high enough to ensure that this won't happen too often (if at all).

There's one other possible tie that doesn't seem unreasonably unlikely. Player A gets 4 tiles worth 7 and 1 tile worth 5. Player B gets 2 tiles worth 7, 3 tiles worth 5, and 4 reward tokens. Each player scores 33.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kai Mölleken
Germany
45147 Essen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
andylatto wrote:
Kaermo wrote:
But in how many cases would you actually need one? There's one case: If both players managed to get 3 tiles worth 7 points, 2 tiles worth 5 points and the exact same number of reward tokens. If the tiles are distributed in any other way between the two players the number of reward tokens needed to achieve a tie is high enough to ensure that this won't happen too often (if at all).

There's one other possible tie that doesn't seem unreasonably unlikely. Player A gets 4 tiles worth 7 and 1 tile worth 5. Player B gets 2 tiles worth 7, 3 tiles worth 5, and 4 reward tokens. Each player scores 33.

Mathematically that's certainly possible. To me it doesn't seem to be that likely though, that one player manages to win 4 out of the five circles he wins over the course of the game with the dispute marker in it while the other player (who manages to win more high scoring circles) is not able to get even a single reward token. If actual play experience backs up your case, then I'm happy to change my mind. But currently I would not consider this a likely scenario.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sheila Morton
United States
Dutch John
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We also played and tied, and I must say, ties seem very likely to me. Both players concentrated on one tile at a time for the most part; he won one, I won one, he won one, I won one, etc. Which means that ties will be not uncommon. We haven't used the draft yet, though, so we will see how that affects things.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.