10 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » General Gaming

Subject: Board Game Bento? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Braden Adam
msg tools
Anyone tried this subscription service?

I'm being overwhelmed with ads for it on FaceBook, but it seems too good to be true.

Do you actually end up getting anything good from it?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason
United States
Ogden
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My take on the board game blind boxes is that the money could just as easily go to games of your choice. For $50+s/h a month, I can curate my own collection. I don't have to worry about duplicates or receiving games I have no interest in.

Other, non-board game, blind boxes are usually cheaper and tend to offer a few exclusives. If there was a board-game blind box for $15-20 a month that only provided exclusives, then I would probably look into something like that. Or if it was something that had quarterly releases and cost $40 or so.

It would be much funner to open the box and find some new miniatures, new cards, new tiles, or some awesome exclusive bling for a game. Look at the Dice Tower Kickstarter rewards, then imagine a service that provided something like those goals regularly. To be honest, given the amount of exclusives around CMON products, I'm surprised they don't have a subscription blind box model to further feed off the "gotta catch 'em all" mentality many of their core gamers have.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel C
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This has been brought up before and the general consensus is, you're going to get junk most of the time. Most games are based on MSRP, so if you do a comparable vs online stores you'll pay about the same, but when you shop online you know what you're getting.

This is just another kind of loot crate, except targeted towards board games, it'll be dollar bin junk that doesn't sell and one or two good items. Also, it might be games you own already, since you don't have the power to choose what you get.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Braden Adam
msg tools
Yeah this really seems like too much of a gamble.

I just wondered if there was a chance of getting something really awesome. You know, enough chance to justify the gamble.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
R S
United States
Salem
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My friend actually did this for a few months and I'll tell you now I don't think it's worth it at all. Best game they got was Deluxe Tiny Epic Galaxies. The rest were mostly terrible. Just spend the money on things you actually want.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Malmberg
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
mb
bradenandpichi wrote:
I just wondered if there was a chance of getting something really awesome. You know, enough chance to justify the gamble.

So why not just go out and buy the something really awesome and save a bunch of money?

Maybe I am a bit crotchety, but I hate these blind box things -- waste money on trash I neither want nor have the space; I would rather drink my money away than throw it in a waste bin.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Braden Adam
msg tools
malmby wrote:
bradenandpichi wrote:

So why not just go out and buy the something really awesome and save a bunch of money?

Maybe I am a bit crotchety, but I hate these blind box things -- waste money on trash I neither want nor have the space; I would rather drink my money away than throw it in a waste bin.

That's not crotchety at all!

I've just had some decent luck with other surprise bag services (t shirts, movies, posters, etc). Thought maybe this could be similarly good.

Doesn't sound it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jessica
United States
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We get the Bento, and we've been really happy with it. Yes, we've gotten some games we wouldn't have bought on our own- but that's the point of a surprise box, isn't it? For us it's an opportunity to try something new. We've never gotten any games that are 'junk' or have terrible ratings. Mostly they are just little known; it's hard to compete when so many games come out constantly.

There's only been one box of the three we've gotten that we've been legitimately disappointed in, and that was the first. The theme was 'Party Games'. Obviously, in hindsight, these are going to include loud, silly games like you play at parties; things like DEER LORD! and Loud About. Those type of games just aren't our thing; it was completely our fault that we didn't like them, and not the company or the games. You can always cancel your subscription for themes you don't think you'll like- we did so for the 'Sports' theme a while back.

The only legitimate complaint I can make for the Bento Box is that they advertise you get a little something extra in each one that's gaming related- they advertise things like a small pack of dividers from Broken Token, or a small pack of meeples, that sort of thing. So far we've gotten 5 party invite cards from the Party box, a cheap calculator with the Bento logo printed on it for the Science box, and a cheap pair of red plastic sunglasses in the strategy box. They always come up with little things to say about them for why they're included (the sunglasses were to help with your 'poker face' for the strategy games, lol), but they're definitely not as nice as getting meeples, or Broken Token stuff, or even cheapo dice would be.

Anyway, you certainly aren't going to get a special deal on the games. The last box we got we could have paid roughly the same amount we spent on the box itself if we'd have just gotten the games ourselves from Amazon. BUT, they were all games we'd never heard of, and frankly, probably would never have because they weren't super popular or hyped up. None of them were bad. I'm excited for the next box as the games will have a historical theme, and one of them is going to be a Mensa Select winner.

Anyway, if you're super limited on what you can buy each month, then obviously the box wouldn't be for you- you should invest in what you want specifically. But we tend to over splurge on games, so we usually buy what we want in addition to getting some fun surprises. But if you enjoy opening up a box full of surprises, and trying something new, then get it! It can be fun to broaden your horizons and try a game you wouldn't normally have, or better yet, find a game that's been lost in the masses that you really enjoy!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Freelance Police
United States
Palo Alto
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
A friend of mine likes Battle Bin, but he's enjoys surprises and new games. I passed on it because I have too many games already.

https://www.cratejoy.com/battlebin/
http://www.battlebin.com/

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Perhaps as a gift for someone, and you'd rather not have to deal with their wishlist on BGG.com. Otherwise, I'm not really inclined to buy the games I actually would like to get, let alone this.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.