Popular Tags: [View All]
Raf Cordero
United States
Bolingbrook
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I assume that guards can move along facedown tiles. This means that they might move through walls while the tiles are facedown? Does this also mean that Scientists won't advance to a ring until the players have open the gate to that ring?

Thematic in one way, a little odd in the other

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Bleys
Belgium
Antwerp
flag msg tools
designer
mb
1. Correct, they will move through walls while the tiles are facedown, as it is unbeknownst to the player whether or not there is in fact a wall there.

2. They go through it even when it's closed. Manual states:

If a Loctae Scientist ever encounters a gate leading to an outer level, the next move it takes will always move it through the gate. This does not unlock the gate.

EXCEPTION

Do not move a Loctae Scientist through a gate if:

The ring segment the Loctae would be
moving into is bounded by walls on both sides

And

There are no players within this bounded section

And

There is no revealed gate tile within this bounded section

If a Loctae Scientist is ever in a section of the Hive that meets all the conditions above, it will move inward (closer to the center) through any gate it encounters. This is the only time Loctae Scientists will move inward.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Raf Cordero
United States
Bolingbrook
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks! To clarify my 2nd question: it's possible that the scientists will move into a ring that is 100% facedown tiles. If so they will not continue outward until the players begin revealing rooms?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Pricklefish
msg tools
designer
That is correct: they can move through an explored gate to a ring with 100% facedown tiles, and will remain there until a gate is explored or and brace yourself as this is by far the most complicated rule of the manual:
- if 2 walls are discovered AND
- the Loctae Scientist is bound by these walls AND
- there are no players within this bounded section AND
- there is no revealed gate tile within this bounded section

If a Loctae Scientist is ever in a section of the Hive that meets all 4 conditions above, it will move inward (closer to the center) through any gate it encounters. This is the only time Loctae Scientists move inward.

Hope this clarifies and didn't raise more questions :-)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Raf Cordero
United States
Bolingbrook
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Clarifies it perfectly thanks! That is in fact how the rules read I just wanted some clarification. Played solo last night. Enjoyed it until the Scientists captured me and used my body for experiments!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shay Moore
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmb
Funny enough, we thought this rule seemed far-fetched, with all three of those variables having to occur at once. And then in our first game we ran into exactly that situation!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.