7 Posts

Guardians' Chronicles» Forums » Rules

Subject: Escaping During a Showdown rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Morgan Bonney
Ireland
flag msg tools
Having now played my first game of Guardian's Chronicles, a bit of debate came up about Dr Skarov escaping when he eliminates a Hero.

So, first it says that he can escape when he eliminates a Hero - does this mean that the Doctor has to do the damage which causes the wound which eliminates a Hero personally, or does he just mean whenever a Hero is eliminated? All the traps and foes are his handiwork or minions, after all. If not, how do you decide what counts as the damage which wipes someone out, when it's based on wounds rather than damage?

Also, since Heros are only eliminated when they have three Wounds in their hand, this can only happen either after they play their last power cards during the Strategy phase and redraw, or during the End of Turn phase when they resolve Damage tokens, it can't happen during the Activation phase. So... I guess Dr Skarov gets to escape during the next Activation phase after either of these two eventualities, and there's nothing the Heroes can do to stop him beyond trying to get enough hits in to wipe him out before he goes?

All of which really seems to mean that if any Hero is eliminated by anything during the Final Showdown, Dr. Skarov almost certainly wins at least a partial victory. Which I don't have a problem with so much, it just seems like it would be a very roundabout way of saying something so simple.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Guy
England
Chorleywood
Hertfordshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
bloodymorgan wrote:
Which I don't have a problem with so much, it just seems like it would be a very roundabout way of saying something so simple.

And thereby in keeping with much of the rest of the rules
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Morgan Bonney
Ireland
flag msg tools
PlanBee wrote:

I'm gathering that all right! This has usurped Age of Conan for the worst laid out rulebook I've ever encountered - even that one I could figure out by sitting down and re-writing everything.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Guy
England
Chorleywood
Hertfordshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
bloodymorgan wrote:
PlanBee wrote:

I'm gathering that all right! This has usurped Age of Conan for the worst laid out rulebook I've ever encountered - even that one I could figure out by sitting down and re-writing everything.

The rules are not that bad, but I think the designers view is they should be fluid, ie do what you want. Its a level of imprecision that does not sit well with me.

I am not sure that rules, scenarios and variants have been playtested with balance and challenge in mind. For example it leaves the number of lieutenants placed up to Skarov. That means it could be an easy game for that player or a difficult one.

With that in mind I decided that rather than search through the rule book and FAQ for answers that may or may not be there, I would make my own decisions. EG a piece that is diagonally next to a player is adjacent for attacking purposes.

I do think it is a good game, and its unlikely that you will come up against loads of other players who have the game and will challenge you, so as long as you are consistent I would recommend playing it how you think it should be played ( see some of my other posts in this game for examples)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Beighel
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I completely agree that the rule book for this game needs a lot of help. It's vague and poorly organized. I've tried to forgive the authors as it seems English is a second language. Still though they should be able to easily get English proofreaders and fix things up.

On the downloads page of the game's website there is a fan edition of the rule book, some fan apparently reorganized it to clarify things. I haven't read it so I can't say if it's actually better or not. I suppose it can't be worse.

Anyway, as for the question posed. I always thought that Skarov could escape anytime a hero was defeated after the control room door was opened. Essentially matching Morgan's interpretation.

For the adjacency thing, it isn't stated in the text but there is a picture showing that diagonally is valid for that. So I'd say you ended up with the right rule.

I've been tinkering with my own set of rules as well. Partly to automate the villains for cooperative play, and partly to avoid getting stuck on these same sorts of issues.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Morgan Bonney
Ireland
flag msg tools
PlanBee wrote:
The rules are not that bad, but I think the designers view is they should be fluid, ie do what you want. Its a level of imprecision that does not sit well with me.

I don't think the rules are bad either, just terribly badly explained. I don't like for that kind of fluidity either, because it's a competitive game. A discussion of something like my issue is going to come up sooner or later when it makes a big difference in who wins or looses.

JBeighel wrote:
On the downloads page of the game's website there is a fan edition of the rule book, some fan apparently reorganized it to clarify things. I haven't read it so I can't say if it's actually better or not. I suppose it can't be worse.

It's much better - it's the only thing which got me to the stage of running the game - but it's still not totally clear.

Quote:
I've been tinkering with my own set of rules as well. Partly to automate the villains for cooperative play, and partly to avoid getting stuck on these same sorts of issues.

Anything you feel ready to post yet?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Beighel
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
It's this far along. I'm still mucking around with some of the details. I'd be glad of any feedback if you'd care to read it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.