Popular Tags: [View All]
Michael Leuchtenburg
United States
Cambridge
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I hate luck, especially in long games. In a short light game - say, No Thanks!, it's fine. It's over soon enough that the randomness doesn't hurt my enjoyment of the game. But in Die Macher, it drives me nuts.

Do you always play Roads & Boats with the solo mine rules? Have you considered how to reduce the card draw screwage in Goa? Do you refuse to play Parthenon: Rise of the Aegean because of the random elements in venture success? Then I want to see your ratings and comments when I click Analyze to see interesting opinions on a game. I've found a few such people through ratings similarity, but I'd really like to get some more so that I always have an opinion which talks about the randomness in a game, for any game with more than a few ratings.

So, if you're one of the luck-haters, or know someone who is, please say hi.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brent Mair
United States
Roy
Utah
flag msg tools
The Meeple Nation Boardgame Podcast - 30 minutes a week!
badge
BGGCon 2015 or Bust
mbmbmbmbmb
Howdy. I couldn't say Hi because I like luck in a game. I'm certainly not a fan of the games where the players have little or no control, but I like a dab of luck in a game.

I also agree that the longer the game is the less luck there should be. Not to your extreme, I don't think.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Clark
United States
Holyoke
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We're already GeekBuddies, Lucky, but I'll say "hi" anyway.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
leftfield
United States
Durham
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Um...Greetings.

I like the irony in this post in light of your nickname, which you describe in your profile.

I admit to getting particularly annoyed by the cube tower decimating my armies in Shogun, but I don't think I have as much of an aversion to luck as you do.

Anyway, have you checked out Mikko Saari's Gamer Correlation?

http://www.lautapelaaja.net/bgg/correlation.php

Plug your username in and see who comes up. Many of your current geekbuddies show up high on your list but you're missing some too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ray
United States
Carpentersville
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If you the type of gamer that finds luck unavoidable and distasteful you may want to geekbuddy me as an anti-buddy. I love complex games with much randomness and ways to mitigate the luck in them so that I get lucky more than I should in the eyes of those who don't try to mitigate luck.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Leuchtenburg
United States
Cambridge
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
gtatters wrote:

Plug your username in and see who comes up. Many of your current geekbuddies show up high on your list but you're missing some too.

Yup, that's how I found most of my current Geekbuddies. They're pretty much all either through that tool or people I've gamed with. Thanks for the pointer, though.

Some of the people I don't have on my list currently who rank highly with that tool I have not included because they don't include comments with their ratings. Without comments, the ratings are not very useful to me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sifu
United States
Beaverton
Oregon
flag msg tools
mb
wtrollkin2000 wrote:
I love complex games with much randomness and ways to mitigate the luck in them so that I get lucky more than I should in the eyes of those who don't try to mitigate luck.

YES! I like that too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexander B.
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmb
I hate games with *too much* luck. Now, this is not easy to define. However:

1) If a game has random elements, it is better for it to have a lot of them so the law of large numbers can balance it a bit,

2) The other side of #1 is that a game should never come down to a few random events: I call these "luck bottlenecks".

3) Perhaps most importantly, the amount of luck in the game should never allow a substantially weaker player to beat a better player.

So, yes, I do do things to lower luck in games, have a luck tolerance level that--if crossed--I won't play the game at all (especially, as you pointed out, longer games), and I prefer games with less luck over games with more.

All that said, I don't mind luck at all what there isn't too much of it. Also, what I dislike even more than luck is games that combine luck with limiting my actions (e.g. Battlelore), so luck is not only costing me the game, it is telling me what pieces I can move, etc: that I really do hate!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Curt Collins
United States
Pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't know anyone who loathes luck as much as I do.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Leuchtenburg
United States
Cambridge
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
diamondspider wrote:

2) The other side of #1 is that a game should never come down to a few random events: I call these "luck bottlenecks".

That's a good way of looking at it.

I notice that you have your game comments in the "condition" field rather than the "comment" field, for most games. See, for instance, Antiquity. You can tell because it's in red rather than in black. That means that if I add you to my Geekbuddy list, I won't see your comments in the Analyze Geekbuddy Ratings function, except for Hey, That's My Fish!, where you do have the comment in the usual place.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
leftfield
United States
Durham
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
dyfrgi wrote:

please say hi.

Hi. Came back to bring this thread full-circle. I played Die Macher last night for the first time. Boy, was I annoyed when, I came across a luck bottlenecks. In the 6th round, I won one of those auctions to get the card for mucking with the public opinion polls. But when I turned over the card, I found I just lacked sufficient luck to do anything but lower my already low standing in the polls. Those twenty or so points might have been useful.

I guess I should have checked my horoscope before sitting down to that 5-hour session.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexander B.
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmb
dyfrgi wrote:

I notice that you have your game comments in the "condition" field rather than the "comment" field....

Thanks Michael: fixed

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.