Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Alexandre Carmel-Veilleux
Canada
Charlottetown
Prince Edward Island
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
OK, when I'm forced to retreat and there's not an obvious retreat destination that is advantageous towards my edge (I was in 3605 being attacked from North and North West) do I have to force my retreat path towards the friendly edge?

Can I voluntarily avoid EZOCs even if that means taking a path that is less direct?

Can I use prohibited terrain (the mountains) to decide that I cannot retreat to 3804 and have to go through EZOC in 3704 and instead retreat to 3805? 3806?

That "If possible" in the rule I've interpreted very liberally in the past but playing without the advnaced (supply and isolation) rules there's less consequence now.

Here's the situation visually, the reduced mech brigade must retreat 2 hex (it was under a clearing marker)

For the curious, the combat was 17 : 10, with 2 shifts for ER, two AH-64 for CS and a drm for LI infantry. So column 9, -5 drm and the net roll was -3 so -/3R.

We played the retreat like the unit was forced to retreat through 3704, it failed it's ER check (rolled an 8) and was eliminated.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mitchell Land
United States
Ballwin
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Locally to the rear, i.e., away from the attacking units would have been acceptable. Not through prohibited terrain, though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marco Poutré
Canada
St-Jean-sur-Richelieu
Quebec
flag msg tools
designer
Yes... I still like 'em 32 years later...
mbmbmbmbmb
Toadkillerdog wrote:
Locally to the rear, i.e., away from the attacking units would have been acceptable. Not through prohibited terrain, though.

And would continuing to hex 3806 been acceptable as well or would the second hex have to be towards the DRPK map edge this time? The words "if possible", IMHO, are at the root of these questions. It's possible (Though risky of course) to retreat through an EZOC but it's not possible for mechanized units to retreat in a road-less mountain hex, hence the confusion. I initially thought the retreat direction had to be in one of the 3 hexes towards your map edge, barring any impassable terrain.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mitchell Land
United States
Ballwin
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Marcon wrote:
Toadkillerdog wrote:

And would continuing to hex 3806 been acceptable as well or would the second hex have to be towards the DRPK map edge this time? The words "if possible", IMHO, are at the root of these questions. It's possible (Though risky of course) to retreat through an EZOC but it's not possible for mechanized units to retreat in a road-less mountain hex, hence the confusion. I initially thought the retreat direction had to be in one of the 3 hexes towards your map edge, barring any impassable terrain.

I would say generally, yes, back towards the DPRK if possible to do so without entering prohibited terrain. A unit can retreat so as to avoid an enemy ZOC.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marco Poutré
Canada
St-Jean-sur-Richelieu
Quebec
flag msg tools
designer
Yes... I still like 'em 32 years later...
mbmbmbmbmb
Let me try to sum it up (IT programmer at work here) :

Priority 1 - Retreat hex through an allowed terrain that is towards your map edge AND Free of EZOC.
Priority 2 - Retreat hex through an allowed terrain that is free of EZOC.
Priority 3 - Retreat hex through an allowed terrain that is towards your map edge.
Priority 4 - Retreat hex through an allowed terrain.

I'm assuming we go through these priorities for the 2nd hex as well. So, in my example above, moving on to hex 3806 is not an option.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mitchell Land
United States
Ballwin
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Marcon wrote:
Let me try to sum it up (IT programmer at work here) :

Priority 1 - Retreat hex through an allowed terrain that is towards your map edge AND Free of EZOC.
Priority 2 - Retreat hex through an allowed terrain that is free of EZOC.
Priority 3 - Retreat hex through an allowed terrain that is towards your map edge.
Priority 4 - Retreat hex through an allowed terrain.

I'm assuming we go through these priorities for the 2nd hex as well. So, in my example above, moving on to hex 3806 is not an option.

That's perfect.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.