Popular Tags: [View All]
Chris Knapp
United States
Yellowstone National Park
Wyoming
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
1) The Haunter of the Dark mystery requires me to have the Shining Trapezohedron artifact to hurt the epic monster. If a Mythos card forces me to discard it what happens? Just forfeit? I can't gain it again if it is discarded right?

2)The lead investigator has to "impair 3 skills of his choice". I assume I can choose the same one three times right? In that case I have chosen to impair my skill that is already at 1 three times.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M.C.Crispy
United Kingdom
Basingstoke
Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you lose the Trapezoid and later gain it, you can retrieve it from the discard pile. This is covered somewhere in the rules, FAQ or Ref Guide, I don't remember where.

You can't choose to do something that you can't do. That would be called cheating.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kenneth H
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Per some rule or another, you can't impair a skill already at 1.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ioannis Raptis
Greece
flag msg tools
1) No. when you gain an artifact you may choose to pick the Shining Trapezohedron. If the certain card is not in the deck you search at the discard pile.

2) No. You had to choose 3 skills out of the 5. This does not imply that you can choose one skill three times. Also I think that you can't choose a skill that it can't be impaired.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Knapp
United States
Wyoming
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well I totally blew those rules haha. I know for next time. I had a lot of oddities come up this most recent game. So if any card names a specific card to be gained you can gain it from the discard pile? I know this doesn't apply to starting possessions for replacement investigators.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ioannis Raptis
Greece
flag msg tools
No I think it applies too,but you can't take the possessions of the crippled/insane investigators when their tokens are still on board(waiting for someone to encounter them).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Xelto G
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Morlow00 wrote:
2)The lead investigator has to "impair 3 skills of his choice". I assume I can choose the same one three times right? In that case I have chosen to impair my skill that is already at 1 three times.

You can impair the same skill three times, but you cannot impair a skill that's at 1 or that has two impairment tokens on it. So the only effective way to be able to impair one skill three times is to have one that is normally 3 or higher, and has an improvement token on it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Knapp
United States
Wyoming
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So also, when playing against Nephren-Ka, when he has his reckoning I assume you just have to manually figure out the shortest route to the Bent Pyramids and move one space that way? Also, if two routes are tied for the same distance can I choose which to head toward?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grzegorz Kępa
Poland
flag msg tools
Yes You can choose. Remember to count local paths in the process and if Your investigator is already on the Bent Pyramid he has to lose sanity.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Knapp
United States
Wyoming
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Perfect. I was just going to ask if a local path is still equal to one space for his reckoning. I played that it was.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David "Davy" Ashleydale
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Xelto wrote:
Morlow00 wrote:

You can impair the same skill three times, but you cannot impair a skill that's at 1 or that has two impairment tokens on it. So the only effective way to be able to impair one skill three times is to have one that is normally 3 or higher, and has an improvement token on it.

Are you sure about this? If it really is worded "Impair 3 Skills of his choice", I would say that they have to be 3 different Skills. If I were to choose Strength twice and Influence once, and then if someone asked me, "How many of your Skills became impaired because of that card effect?" my answer would be "2".

Otherwise, it should have been worded more like, "Impair 1 Skill of his choice. Do this three times." Or, "Perform 3 Skill impairments."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Knapp
United States
Wyoming
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
After reading the replies here I am inclined to think it should be three different skills.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Krzysiek Domański
Poland
Wrocław
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There's an official clarification out there that states those must be three different skills, but I don't have time to search for it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M.C.Crispy
United Kingdom
Basingstoke
Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There's certainly a semantic difference between "Improve three skills" and "take three skill Improvements". Generally, I'd take the card at face value and improve three different skills, it's usually the right way to approach Nikki's instructions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Allison Macrae
Canada
Victoria
BC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Since the question was about the Haunter in the Dark, it's worth noting that the mystery has been errated to say the Haunter cannot be encountered without the Shining Trapezoehedron. If you don't have that artifact, you just have normal encounters as though that epic monster wasn't there.

This is because when you gain a specific item, you can take it from the discard pile, but you can't take it from a deceased investigator sheet. Since the Haunter is in Arkham, if you die fighting it, the artifact would have ended up inaccessible (trapped on a dead investigator you couldn't encounter until you defeated the monster...)

Also, yes, something that tells you to impair 3 skills requires you pick three different skills.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Knapp
United States
Wyoming
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
One more question, and I really hope I haven't been playing this wrong: when a mythos card says "investigators as a group" do something, this means I can choose freely who loses what correct?

So it says investigators as a group lose 5 health. That doesn't mean every investigator loses 5 health? I have been picking and splitting up the health to keep everyone as healthy as possible (just a total loss of 5 health spread across all investigators).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Krzysiek Domański
Poland
Wrocław
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Morlow00 wrote:
One more question, and I really hope I haven't been playing this wrong: when a mythos card says "investigators as a group" do something, this means I can choose freely who loses what correct?

So it says investigators as a group lose 5 health. That doesn't mean every investigator loses 5 health? I have been picking and splitting up the health to keep everyone as healthy as possible (just a total loss of 5 health spread across all investigators).
You've been playing it correctly. If each investigator should lose health the card would say "each investigator" and many do.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
haroth9842 wrote:
There's an official clarification out there that states those must be three different skills, but I don't have time to search for it.

https://boardgamegeek.com/article/22038336#22038336

It seems the same skill can be impaired multiple times.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David "Davy" Ashleydale
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Roger the Alien wrote:
haroth9842 wrote:

https://boardgamegeek.com/article/22038336#22038336

It seems the same skill can be impaired multiple times.

Dang, then I wish it had been worded differently.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.