Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jason Hofstedt
United States
Oak Creek
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
This isn't a review per se - hence its presence in the general forum - but my pre-ordered, full KS version arrived today, and while I've only had a chance to punch it out thus far, I had to comment on something:

This game has the best component quality I've seen! The cardboard is so heavy/dense, you could build your own wine rack with it, the cut is perfect, and the insert is designed with love. I'm thoroughly impressed. Can any of you tell me if you have other games in your collections which feature this level of quality?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Crosby
Australia
Brisbane
Queensland
flag msg tools
The real XB
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, The Gallerist obviously, but Dungeon Lords: Happy Anniversary and Scythe also spring to mind.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kim Choy
Canada
Winnipeg
Manitoba
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Galaxy Trucker Anniversary Edition has a great insert and the components are top notch as well.

I just obtained a copy of the Lancaster Big Box and it has a great set of components and insert.

Looking forward to finally receiving this one
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rafaël Theunis
Belgium
Antwerpen
Antwerpen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Francis Drake comes to mind, so does the Vanuatu second edition too. Really thick cardbaord for the punch boards, board and box. Very nice. And of course Trickerion too. So many components and everything looks and feels great.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cliff Fisher
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The Gallerist. I didn't even sleeve the contract cards because they feel too nice to not enjoy unsleeved. Don't own Trickerion but friends do, I'd vouch for the quality there as well but I'd say it's still one notch below Gallerist and Vinhos.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James J

Texas
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Agreed on Vinhos. A suggested way to organize items in the tray would have been great, but people have already started sharing ideas here.

This arrived right on the heels of another Kickstarter, Karmaka, which also had great quality components. Admittedly, there's a lot less in that box, but it's the first insert that I've taken everything out of and admired just on it's own. It's lovely. (And they included oversized wells to accomodate sleeved cards--brilliant!)

I Kickstarted Trickerion as well. The components are pretty good. But it would have benefited from at least a shipping insert. It had absolutely nothing in it to keep the heavier items away from the player boards and such, which were all jumbled together. Rather scary opening it for the first time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shawn is boufalaxx
Australia
Brisbane
Queensland
flag msg tools
Subscribe to Smashing Plastic on YouTube
mbmbmbmbmb
I was really impressed with VivaJava: The Coffee Game: The Dice Game when I received it. It was obviously crafted with care. Then I received Brew Crafters and I was blown away with the quality of the components, the colour palette and the graphic design. Truly a Deluxe edition without being Deluxe.

Carson City: Big Box and Orléans: Deluxe Edition get honourable mention for their deluxe quality, but kinda expected... (Orleans is just fantastic)

A lot of Fantasy Flight games deserve special mention, but I think they're more "great quality" than "deluxe". Plaid Hat also take special care (I'm looking at you Ashes: Rise of the Phoenixborn. I think that Portal Games is on the upswing.

I'm really looking forward to Vinhos Deluxe Edition to see if it can unseat Brew Crafters! (Stoopid mail man - HtFU)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Off The Shelf Board Game Reviews
United States
Anchorage
Alaska
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Don't forget Empires: Age of Discovery and the White Cthulhu-phant in the room.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan M
Canada
Regina
Saskatchewan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have mixed thoughts about EGGs tendency to over produce their games. I love Vinhos and had the original game and it was perfectly fine. So I struggled with having to pay so much for the KS when it seemed like most of that money was going to unnecessary production choices.

On the other hand I've recently dusted off my old copy of Pastiche and while it too is over produced and would be nice to have less costly for what you get...it is just a nice game to play and handle and there is something to be said for high-end components.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Cole
United States
Toledo
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Trickerion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Smith
msg tools
mbmbmb
Our copy has arrived today here in the UK. I am very, very happy with the production quality and art! Thick, thick cardboard, I had to check it wasn't two cardboard sheets I'd picked up to punch out. Pieces punched out beautifully, no feeling, this is gonna tear.

A very nice insert! I have been sorting out a few games lately and most of them are a bit of a pain to organise. Which made me extra appreciate not having to bag or box a load of stuff.

Wow was the parcel heavy, we had The Gallerist in the box as well as an add-on.

re: other games on the same level, I would say Empires: Age of Discovery.

Not quite as nice but with some lovely metal coins, Brass, from Eagle-Gryphon (again).

As just a card game, I will give a shout to Xenon Profiteer, by Eagle. Those are thick cards with a lovely linen finish, far superior to most of my card games and price point was not bad at all considering.

I hope Eagle do keep "overproducing" games. I have plenty of nice games with decent components, but not many like this.

And Lisboa, by Eagle, is looking promising too.

I may have to count myself as an Eagle-Gryphon fan at this point. Love Fleet too. I like the insert in Francis Drake, which has a lovely big map, ...

arrrh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vita Est Certamine
United States
Wesley Chapel
Florida
flag msg tools
No matter where you go, there you are.
badge
Kilroy was here
mbmbmbmbmb
Vinhos Deluxe is spot on near-perfect! Almost belongs in a wooden box!

Game I own that is of similar quality,

Puerto Rico anniversary edition (same overproduced cardboard and meeps...excellent!"

The insert reminded me of the "Small World: Designer's Edition" though it would be tough to top the components in that box. Or the box itself.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.