$30.00
Recommend

Thumb up
 Hide
8 Posts

Cry Havoc» Forums » Rules

Subject: Rules question about artillery token, trog Region Control, and others rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Doug Favelo
United States
Purcellville
VA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello, I have been reading lots of posts here, so I'm not being totally lazy, but I have some questions and Grant has been so timely in answering rules posts that I'm going to take advantage of that.

We are SNAPPING on this game. SO MUCH FUN! Please make expansions with more races!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

We had a disagreement about the artillery tokens. I see from one post that the human player has to essentially shoot into a region before a battle begins there. But my hyper literalist players note that the card says it counts as 2 attrition in the next battle resolution in that region--so why can't one shoot into a region with a battle token, since resolution has not been reached? Is there somewhere that says artillery and watchtower tokens can't be placed in battle region? Tokens are not units, and the artillery was not activated inside that region (so p. 8 seems satisfied).

NPC Trogs: in a 2/3p game, my opponent fights some Trogs. I'm to that player's left, so I control the Trogs. If I play something like "Air Support," I presume I put a Trog mini into the battle, even though it says "Add one dude from YOUR reserve..." (so MY reserve for the battle is the Trog reserve, yes?)

Also, if the Trog NPCs capture a player's mini, that player can liberate minis for 2 vp even though the rules say "...currently being held by another player..." and the Trogs are not another player. Yes??

And if in 2/3p the Trogs win region control, they get a new Nest, but the victorious Trog minis stay there, so the Nest token remains face down? And similarly, what if in a future adjacent region battle the Trogs lost the region control, and the new Nest moves to this region with Trog minis (and a Trog nest?), it stays face down too?

Machines: they can Orbital Sniper and Shredder units in opponents' Headquarters, correct?

Well, that's enough for now. Thank you for your time!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dustin Crenshaw
United States
Shepherdsville
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
aeneas75 wrote:
Hello, I have been reading lots of posts here, so I'm not being totally lazy, but I have some questions and Grant has been so timely in answering rules posts that I'm going to take advantage of that.

We are SNAPPING on this game. SO MUCH FUN! Please make expansions with more races!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

We had a disagreement about the artillery tokens. I see from one post that the human player has to essentially shoot into a region before a battle begins there. But my hyper literalist players note that the card says it counts as 2 attrition in the next battle resolution in that region--so why can't one shoot into a region with a battle token, since resolution has not been reached? Is there somewhere that says artillery and watchtower tokens can't be placed in battle region? Tokens are not units, and the artillery was not activated inside that region (so p. 8 seems satisfied).

NPC Trogs: in a 2/3p game, my opponent fights some Trogs. I'm to that player's left, so I control the Trogs. If I play something like "Air Support," I presume I put a Trog mini into the battle, even though it says "Add one dude from YOUR reserve..." (so MY reserve for the battle is the Trog reserve, yes?)

Also, if the Trog NPCs capture a player's mini, that player can liberate minis for 2 vp even though the rules say "...currently being held by another player..." and the Trogs are not another player. Yes??

And if in 2/3p the Trogs win region control, they get a new Nest, but the victorious Trog minis stay there, so the Nest token remains face down? And similarly, what if in a future adjacent region battle the Trogs lost the region control, and the new Nest moves to this region with Trog minis (and a Trog nest?), it stays face down too?

Machines: they can Orbital Sniper and Shredder units in opponents' Headquarters, correct?

Well, that's enough for now. Thank you for your time!

Battle regions are locked. PERIOD. So unless a card or effect says it can target a battle region, it cannot.

Yes you can buy back from the trogs.

Trog minis do not stay on the board after a battle.

No. HQ are safe places.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Ferguson
Australia
Brisbane
Queensland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Think of HQ's as drop ships, so they are not really on the board so can't be attacked or moved into.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug Favelo
United States
Purcellville
VA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Can you show me in the rules where a battle region is "locked" from placing tokens? I'm assuming Grant et al. specifically used the word Unit on page 8 regarding not moving into battle regions for a reason. Put another way, I would argue that the Golden Rule on p. 13 that says a card etc. can override the general rule applies to artillery and watch tower tokens (and any future expansions that use this... ahem, wishing for, cough) just like Pilgrim Power Orb, Mech Bunker, etc.

So what I want clarification on is if this is a p.8 rules oversight that should say Unit and Token, or if indeed this is a legitimate play. Help, Grant?

Thanks so much

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Graham Gass
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
The difference between the power orb/bunker and the artillery is that the first two specify battle regions while the last one does not. Therefore the first two are exceptions to the general rule while the human buildings aren't.

Check the FAQ for details.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grant Rodiek
United States
Redwood City
CA
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
aeneas75 wrote:
Can you show me in the rules where a battle region is "locked" from placing tokens? I'm assuming Grant et al. specifically used the word Unit on page 8 regarding not moving into battle regions for a reason. Put another way, I would argue that the Golden Rule on p. 13 that says a card etc. can override the general rule applies to artillery and watch tower tokens (and any future expansions that use this... ahem, wishing for, cough) just like Pilgrim Power Orb, Mech Bunker, etc.

So what I want clarification on is if this is a p.8 rules oversight that should say Unit and Token, or if indeed this is a legitimate play. Help, Grant?

Thanks so much

The battle region is locked. Unless a card explicitly states it affects a battle region, you cannot do so.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug Favelo
United States
Purcellville
VA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oak Wolf
msg tools
As far as i am aware, the only structures allowed to interact with Battle Regions are Shred Drones and Power Orbs. Only two structures can be activated within a Battle Region: The Machine's Bunker and Trogs' Traps (iirc for that last one)

Some tactic cards allow some troops to "feed" battle regions (Regroup, Air Support) as well.

There are some skills who allow a player to fiddle with them too, but that's about it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.