Subject: Solo Rules rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ian Armstrong
Canada
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Are the solo rules only to be used in the corporate era version of the game?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marcus S
Canada
Calgary
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Really, you can play which ever version of the game you want. But yes, the solo version of the game is meant to be played with the Corporate Era cards. I think some people play without while they are learning, but I'm not sure that's necessary as nothing really changes in how the game works.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bård Holst
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
dante2010xxx wrote:
Are the solo rules only to be used in the corporate era version of the game?

Yes. Many of the cards in the corporate era deck are cards that doesn't help directly with terraforming and are more directed towards the corporations. So by not using those cards you make the solo game easier.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Armstrong
Canada
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Is it just me, or is the solo version of this game incredibly hard? I've tried twice now and have got pretty much no where by generation 14. The game I played tonight netted me 3 oceans down, and no upgrades to either oxygen or temp.

I had a bunch of cards that would have been great to play, but they all required me to reduce either $ or heat production, which were always at 0 because I had no other cards allowing me to increase their production values for the entire game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Booth
United States
Cary
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
dante2010xxx wrote:
Is it just me, or is the solo version of this game incredibly hard? I've tried twice now and have got pretty much no where by generation 14. The game I played tonight netted me 3 oceans down, and no upgrades to either oxygen or temp.

I had a bunch of cards that would have been great to play, but they all required me to reduce either $ or heat production, which were always at 0 because I had no other cards allowing me to increase their production values for the entire game.

Remember your not just taking two actions during your turn. You take all the actions you can before you draw your next four cards and advance the generation marker.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Armstrong
Canada
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
theericbooth wrote:

Remember your not just taking two actions during your turn. You take all the actions you can before you draw your next four cards and advance the generation marker.

Yes I was doing that for sure. I found that money was a big issue, as well as the production decrease issue that I already mentioned. Seems like it will defiantly be a challenge.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sebastian Stückl
Germany
flag msg tools
mb
dante2010xxx wrote:

Yes, the solo version is very challenging.
Even if you are good at it, you'll probably only win half your games (or a bit more if you play safe).
You have to focus much more on terraforming than in multiplayer games, and you have to efficiently execute your turns.

To be fair though, it sounds like you may have done something wrong, considering you only placed 3 oceans during the entire game. (?)

Sebastian
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marcus S
Canada
Calgary
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
dante2010xxx wrote:

If a card asks you to decrease your M production, that can go negative (no other resources can) because your net income will still be positive with your TR.
It certainly sounds like you are doing something else wrong though. If you are following the "more than 2 actions per round", what actions are you performing that you only placed 3 oceans and no other advancements?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Florian Ruckeisen
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Bastinator1 wrote:
To be fair though, it sounds like you may have done something wrong, considering you only placed 3 oceans during the entire game. (?)

Well he did say he didn't play great cards because of M€ prod reduction, which he totally could've done by going into negative M€ prod.

That said tho, rough games do happen. whistle When unlucky draws meet overoptimistic/unwise card buying choices, the terraforming just doesn't go anywhere.

A lot of it is experience of course - after just 2 attempts, you're bound to make suboptimal choices. Especially since the solo mode plays very differently from multiplayer. Solo, the pressure is ON to get the parameters up, and I usually find myself maxing them all out more or less at the same time. This means, for instance, that some cards that might be great in a multiplayer game are much less attractive when soloing, because you don't get to "milk" them for nearly as long a time as you might in multiplayer.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Armstrong
Canada
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes I did not realized that money could go into the negative, so that was something I was doing wrong.

Not sure how much it would have helped me in the game I played by doing that though, as having enough money was an ever present issue. Going negative to get less each production round would not have been that great.

I feel it's just the cards I got that didn't really let me get production going in other places. I'll have to give it another go or two to see if things go differently with a different selection of cards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Arlington
United States
Memphis
TN
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've played four solo games so far with four different corporations. I won with Inventrix, Mining Guild (my best score), and UNMI.

I lost with the one corp that starts you with 20 Steel. Fell short on all my terraforming tracks on that one. I think that game I was guilty of keeping/buying too many cards for future turns. The other games I was much more picky about what I kept.

Dave

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Armstrong
Canada
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I played solo again and managed to get temp / oxygen up to max levels, and was only 4 oceans short of winning. All in all a much better result then last time. I was playing with the power corp that starts you with 1 energy production and all energy cards you play cost 3 less.

One gripe I have about the solo is that certain cards are almost always of little to no use. I am talking about cards that only gain you points. Getting this in solo is frustrating because they do not propel you towards the ultimate goal of terraforming. What good are points if you don't actually win the game?

I'm tempted to take those cards out when playing solo and try it that way. With only 14 turns you need to be able to pick from the best cards you can to help with terraforming goals.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Arlington
United States
Memphis
TN
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
dante2010xxx wrote:
One gripe I have about the solo is that certain cards are almost always of little to no use. I am talking about cards that only gain you points. Getting this in solo is frustrating because they do not propel you towards the ultimate goal of terraforming. What good are points if you don't actually win the game?

I would turn the question around and ask, what good is winning (terraforming the planet) if you don't have the points to measure your success versus past efforts? If I didn't have the points as a goal besides winning, I think I'd tire of this game a lot faster. I've won 3 of 5 games now (lost again with Interplanetary Cinematics - the Steel company), I think going forward, I'll keep winning more than I'm losing, so the points are important for my playing enjoyment. If it was just terraforming the planet as my sole goal, it would be more "ho-hum, terraformed again" at the end.

Early game I just ignore them, late game I'm looking for them and trying to balance how close I am to winning with how much I want to pile on the points. It's like any other card with some late game pre-condition (Need 10% oxygen, need 2 degrees heat, need six oceans, etc.). Useless early, possibly game changer late.

Dave
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.