Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
John F.
United States
Shelton
CT
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My wife is Vice President of Development for a non profit organization, Marrakech Inc., that helps individuals with developmental disabilities. They will soon be having a big fund raising event where they put items up for auction to raise money. She is going to put together a game night basket for the auction and asked me what to put in it. She has the board game Marrakech to put in, and I suggested Codenames and maybe Dixit. I was wondering if anyone else has other game or non-game suggestions that would make it an appealing item to bid on? Thanks for any ideas!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Val Ofiesh
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That's a wonderful idea. Codenames is an excellent choice. Even a non-gamer would quickly follow how to play. Depending on the type of people attending and your budget, you might swap Dixit for a different game. Dixit's art is lovely and it allows more players, but the game may not be obvious to non-gamers.
Alternatives: Timeline, Sheriff of Nottingham, Splendor, Love Letter, Bring Your Own Book, or Archeology: the New Expeditions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John F.
United States
Shelton
CT
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
SpaceAlien wrote:
That's a wonderful idea. Codenames is an excellent choice. Even a non-gamer would quickly follow how to play. Depending on the type of people attending and your budget, you might swap Dixit for a different game. Dixit's art is lovely and it allows more players, but the game may not be obvious to non-gamers.
Alternatives: Timeline, Sheriff of Nottingham, Splendor, Love Letter, Bring Your Own Book, or Archeology: the New Expeditions.

Those are some great suggestions. Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lluluien
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
SpaceAlien wrote:

I'd point out here as someone that is the kind of person that goes to these kinds of auctions and bids on things that you have to ask yourself what your target audience is. If you put together a "Game Night" basket for non-gamers, then even though I'm likely to be the guy at the auction that hosts the most game nights, I probably won't bid on it because those games are going to be so commonly deployed already that not only do I already have them, but so do all of the people that I might gift them to.

I'm not saying this still isn't the best idea, but it's just something to think about. If you happen to know that you have some gamers in your audience, you might actually be better off going the opposite route.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jesse Shamber
United States
Marietta
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmb
Perhaps add some 2 player games like Jaipur, Patchwork or Tides of Time
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Liz D
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmb
You could also include a few game-friendly snacks. Maybe some gummi bears, almonds or other nuts (but not greasy salted peanuts), or non-buttered popcorn?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John F.
United States
Shelton
CT
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
All good suggestions! I was thinking maybe Wits and Wagers might work well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.