9 Posts

Cry Havoc» Forums » Rules

Subject: Card drawing and reshuffling rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mokey D Luffy
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So, as with any games with deck-building mechanisms, I was curious as to the exact order some things were supposed to happen, or if it was up to the player to decide.

So I play a card for movement, and it lets me draw a card. Do I draw my card before declaring my movement? If so, then obviously I get to see it before I decide where I am headed, and whether or not I draw a Tactics card could influence my decision.

Sort of the same kind of thing: Let's say I play multiple cards that let me draw cards, but my draw deck is empty. Do my played cards go into my discard pile before I shuffle? After I shuffle? Before I resolve my action? After I resolve my action? Is it up to me?

I always try to figure these things out, as it can effect how soon you can get a card back, and I don't like the idea of doing it whichever way benefits you at that exact moment, unless that is the actual rule.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grant Rodiek
United States
Redwood City
CA
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
1. Play cards
2. Declare Action
3. Execute Action
4. Discard cards
5. Resolve any bonuses
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mokey D Luffy
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you for the quick response. The question came up yesterday, and I let my friend draw immediately after playing as I could find nothing against it, and I had something odd happen later that made me unsure about the exact order. This will make everything completely clear moving forward.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon Aeschleman
United States
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
HerrohGrant wrote:
1. Play cards
2. Declare Action
3. Execute Action
4. Discard cards
5. Resolve any bonuses

So when the Pilgrims have that card that let's you draw a card for every symbol, and they play 3 cards giving you 8 tech symbols, but they only have 12 cards in their actual deck, does that mean that they can essentially redraw their entire hand again as soon as they play their cards and do the tech action?

So action would be:

8 tech symbols plus the draw card per symbol card.

Build, do pilgrimy things with crystals and go up victory points and essentially make us all sad

Discard all cards.

Draw 4 cards.

Reshuffle deck and draw 4 more cards to make 8?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grant Rodiek
United States
Redwood City
CA
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
late for dinner wrote:
HerrohGrant wrote:
1. Play cards
2. Declare Action
3. Execute Action
4. Discard cards
5. Resolve any bonuses

So when the Pilgrims have that card that let's you draw a card for every symbol, and they play 3 cards giving you 8 tech symbols, but they only have 12 cards in their actual deck, does that mean that they can essentially redraw their entire hand again as soon as they play their cards and do the tech action?

So action would be:

Build, do pilgrimy things with crystals and go up victory points and essentially make us all sad

Discard all cards.

Draw 4 cards.

You don't redraw cards at the end of your action. I'm not exactly sure what you're talking about. You only redraw cards at the start of a round.
Or, after an action you can draw one if you have a card bonus.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grant Rodiek
United States
Redwood City
CA
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
late for dinner wrote:
HerrohGrant wrote:
1. Play cards
2. Declare Action
3. Execute Action
4. Discard cards
5. Resolve any bonuses

So action would be:

Discard all cards.

Draw 4 cards.

Cry Havoc isn't Dominion. You only discard the cards played for the action. I'm not sure if that is what you were thinking, but trying to analyze your question.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fito R
Argentina
flag msg tools
late for dinner wrote:
HerrohGrant wrote:
1. Play cards
2. Declare Action
3. Execute Action
4. Discard cards
5. Resolve any bonuses

So action would be:

Discard all cards.

Draw 4 cards.

I think I see the confusion. The symbol that lets you draw a card means "Draw one card for each of this symbol", NOT each symbol played. There is no combination of three cards that let you draw eight cards. If you play two cards with the draw symbol, you'd only draw two cards, regardless of any other symbols you actually use in the action.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon Aeschleman
United States
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
What I meant by the whole reshuffle thing:

1) The "Draw card symbol" I thought meant you drew a card for each action symbol. For instance, I used 5 move action symbols and I drew 5 cards because of the the "Drawn Card symbol." This was cleared up for me in the last response. Thank you.

Now, in Dominion, If I play a bunch of cards from my hand, they don't go into my discard pile until my turn is up. They stay in a tableau, so if I have a card that says Draw 2 cards in Dominion, but I have no cards in my discard pile and my draw pile is only 1 card, that means instead of drawing 2 cards, I can only draw one. Hopefully that clears up what I was trying to describe in my original post.

That being said, does the same concept go for this game? Or when I play cards from my hand, do they immediately go into the discard pile?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grant Rodiek
United States
Redwood City
CA
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
late for dinner wrote:
What I meant by the whole reshuffle thing:

1) The "Draw card symbol" I thought meant you drew a card for each action symbol. For instance, I used 5 move action symbols and I drew 5 cards because of the the "Drawn Card symbol." This was cleared up for me in the last response. Thank you.

Now, in Dominion, If I play a bunch of cards from my hand, they don't go into my discard pile until my turn is up. They stay in a tableau, so if I have a card that says Draw 2 cards in Dominion, but I have no cards in my discard pile and my draw pile is only 1 card, that means instead of drawing 2 cards, I can only draw one. Hopefully that clears up what I was trying to describe in my original post.

That being said, does the same concept go for this game? Or when I play cards from my hand, do they immediately go into the discard pile?

The origin of this thread is about that very question and I answer it above.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.