Popular Tags: [View All]
Douglas Bush
United States
Arlington
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
The 6 week war appears to be heading toward a limping finish, with what little forces are left on each side trying to grab a little more territory before the cease fire.

Turn 12

Weather
Storms. What else?

Initiative
VP last turn were 16 India / 15 Pakistan, so both well short of an initiative turn. That results in a contested turn, with Pakistan as the first player.

The UN continues to just talk.

Electronic Detect
High rolls, so nobody finds HQs.

Air Phase
Indians put in 4 squadrons, the Pakistanis just one. The 4:1 ratio after combat is ineffective keeps the Indians at Air Superiority. AWACS to India +0.

2nd SOF
Indians try to raid the Pakistani AH-1 unit that has amazingly survived the war to this point, but the mission fails.

1st Strike
No nukes or missile left and the storms make air strikes almost impossible. So, only some artillery exchanges that see the Indian rocket brigades get strike 1s on two Pakistani defenders near Lahore. Pakistani artillery hits an Indian armored division in the same area in return.

1st Supply
The Indian XII corps on the far left flank in Punjab is finally back in supply thanks to an MSU that links its HQ up.

Basic Movement/Combat
In the Punjab front what little is left of the Pakistani army pulls back to try to hold on to Amritsar and Lahore.

In Kashmir Pakistan launches its final attack of the war, which is a desperate 3 column attack on Srinagar by 3 brigades of the FCNA corps. Both sides put in air that gets through. A good roll isn't quite good enough and a 1/1 result means Srinagar will remain in Indian hands.

In the Indian basic movement/combat phase, another division is airlifted into Kashmir and the Indian move up armor and mech units that are very close to Lahore. They launch an attack on the city of Kasur (2116) with strong artillery and air support. They manage a solid 12 column attack that results in a -/1R result, but the Pakistanis amazingly hold on a "0" roll to void the retreat result (needing a 2 or less).

Reorg
The Indians clear the city of Okara for 2VP, which also cuts the major highway leading from Lahore to the south. The Pakistan X Corps finally marches into what little is left of the Jammu highland town of Sunderbani, which has been fought over for a month, including a nuke strike.

Victory Phase

India 163VP + 2VP = 165VP
Pakistan 132VP + 2VP = 134VP

India, with the net of +31VP, wins a "Substantive Victory".

Final Positions and Analysis
Here is where things ended up on and off map:

Pakistan Viewpoint:

Overall, I got way to aggressive with the Pakistan Army, especially on the Indian left flank in Punjab where I was able to eventually break through and grab several cities, but was wiped out once the three Indian corps that come in over there showed up. Taking Amritsar early was helpful, and I was able to hold it to the end. The push to take Jammu and Trikuta Nagar was probably one attack too many. I only got one of the cities and only for a few turns, and being bogged down there made it impossible to shift those forces anywhere else.

I used the Chinese in the Jammu highlands and Kashmir. They were helpful, but greatly limited by both the early loss of all my airmobile points (due to great Indian collateral damage rolls) and the bad weather, which took away airborne drops as an option on most turns. Still the Chinese were critical in making the progress I did before I had to fire off the nukes. Unfortunately the Chinese left that turn. I was hoping for at least one turn with them to help exploit the nuke attacks. In the end the Pakistanis took half of Kashmir and most of the Jammu highlands. In real life these would be hugely important advances due to the political value of that terrain. However, to do so required using 4 nuke strikes, so I'm not sure what real value either area would have after being largely destroyed.

A better strategy would have been to only attack in three areas: Amritsar, the Jammu Highlands, and in Kashmir, while holding elsewhere on the defense. That way I could have used the reinforcing corps to strengthen those attacks, rather than having to spread them across the line to try to hold the gains made earlier. The nukes were a gamble that almost paid off, at least in taking all of Kashmir.

Indian Viewpoint:

I didn't think Amritsar would fall so quickly, but it ended up taking just a few good rolls at critical times. I was able to at least avoid a big exploitation of that early success by withdrawing enough forces and reform the line. My left flank defense was also a disaster, with the Pakistanis running wild until my 4 reinforcing corps came in and pushed them back the last four turns.

I am pleased with the defense of Jammu, which was a near-run thing. Limited troops from XVI and IX corps managed to hold back the Pakistanis after they surprised me and took Trikuta Nagar. Help from the Indian II corps was critical, especially the heavy armor and artillery.

While I eventually lost all but one town in the Jammu highlands, I was able to tie down most of the Pakistan X corps and a Chinese division for the entire game with just a handful of divisions.

In Kashmir the Russian paratroopers were critical in stabilizing the lines and even counter-attacking. The poor weather and Chinese dominating the air did stop me from getting reinforcements in early, which almost cost me the entire valley after the series of nuke strikes and the Russian departure. A better approach probably would have been to send at least a couple divisions from XVI and IX corps by road toward Kashmir in the first turn.

My nuke strikes were fairly effective, but I started the exchange down 3 points due to Pakistani and Chinese missile attacks on my nuke sites. I also had one site overrun in Punjab, which didn't help. Still, my focus on off-map sites helped the VP exchange, so I was able to retain the lead I had built up by turn 10 through the two turns of tactical nuke exchanges.

In the end it was a solid win on points, but losing most of Jammu and Kashmir will make the final "peace" negotiations difficult.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexandre Carmel-Veilleux
Canada
Charlottetown
Prince Edward Island
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
What's the house rule to use artillery brigades for strike? Just treat them as a normal HQ?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Douglas Bush
United States
Arlington
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
AlexCV wrote:
What's the house rule to use artillery brigades for strike? Just treat them as a normal HQ?

Right, they can do strikes like "other" HQs. It's a rule that may show up in future games in the series.

Doug
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.