$30.00
Summers Family
msg tools
Hi there,

To introduce myself: I am a mom of 4 children, helping my oldest (11) complete the process of turning idea that he and my husband originally came up with into a board game. We have been at this for 4 years and are on prototype #4. We are entering into BGG to build some online community pre-Kickstarter. We have play tested the game with about 150 people so far.

Here is the most current board:

[IMG][IMG]http://i67.tinypic.com/xc7uop.jpg[/IMG][/IMG]

The rule book is in the design process but I will post as soon as I can. The concept involves geologists, magicians, etc on a journey to collect gems by using artifacts to defeat monsters along the way. It has a fixed board at this point, but this is something we have considered modifying after this next phase.

Right now we are working on sizing the new prototype components and I am seeking feedback.

The game is for game playing families who might play games like Carcassone, Ticket to ride, or Catan and want something thoughtful but still kid friendly.

Board size? Do folks like 18 x 18" or is there another size that allows for really nice art, with more compact size?

How important are mini fig pawns vs basic pawns for players? (there will be upgrades on the kickstarter, but I am asking in terms standard version)

Size of chits to provide to represent for coins and gems for basic version: small or medium (basically .5" or 1")? The upgrade will have acrylic 3d gems/ coins, but we have been thinking about making this standard... how important is this?

Lastly, we will soon be needing playtesters for the newest version (plan to offer a printable here on BGG), so stay tuned for that!

Thanks so much,
Jeramie and Seamus, age 11

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sturv Tafvherd
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I disliked pawns as a kid; I would have been happier with paper standees that showed an actual figure. Ironically, now I'm the complete opposite as a gamer dad. The ideal, of course, would be fully painted mini; but that's not very realistic.

Round "coin" tokens for both gems and currency works fine. For "tracking token heavy" games like Runebound (Second Edition), the half-inch tokens work well. Otherwise, I'd rather use 1 inch "USA quarter size"

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sturv Tafvherd
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The gameboard: I'm going left field ... meaning, an unusual suggestion.

You seem to be far along the design work, so it may be time for a super durable prototype. Something that you can bring everywhere and survive the wear and tear of being used constantly.

Look for a company that does custom printing onto big heavy surfaces. Like tarps, or mouse pads, or easels, or white boards, or rubber welcome mats.

It probably won't be the end product for a retail release.

But for a rigorous prototype that may become a worthwhile keepsake of the time your family invested into this activity, I think it is worthwhile.

edit:

I actually dream of having a piece of art hanging on my wall, taking it down and it actually is the game board for a game I designed. And all the little knick knacks in the room are the tokens and mechanisms for the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Summers Family
msg tools
Thanks for your response.
We have considered printing it on wood, so far just been on cardboard old boardgame boards (glued on).
I haven't posted anything else because I am waiting for the images from the illustrator and will post as soon as I have them. I am leaning towards mini figs or stand up hard stock paper.
Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.