Subject: Time vs. tribes, territory token limit, and Zeus ties rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Brian Harris
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Believe it or not, I just got a new copy of this game recently and finally got it to the table today. We screwed it up pretty good, even with two player aids. I've resolved a few questions via the forums, but there are still some remaining.

1. If you have zero swords and you combat a tribe, how many APs does it require? The rulebook says "...the tribes do not possess any swords," and "If both players have the same number of Sword symbols (including zero), the attack costs 2 action points." However, Ajax's Quick Reference in the Files sections says, "Both have 0? 1 AP." So I want to be sure there isn't a rules correction I missed somewhere.

2. In a 4-player game, if the eight territory tokens placed during setup as X's are put on legal territories, each with a corresponding matching resource, is there any risk of running out of territory tokens of a particular resource during the game? We did, and I think we botched the setup placement of X's, but just want to make sure there isn't a contingency rule for that sort of thing if we didn't.

3. When the Zeus Olympos card was pulled, two players were tied for Zeus icons/tokens. On page 9 of the rules, under Effects it says, "If the effect is beneficial, it is applied to the player(s) with the most Zeus symbols (at least one Zeus symbol) when the card is drawn." However, on the same page in the rules under the description of the Zeus card, it says, "...the player with the most Zeus symbols earns 3 points, which he places face down in front of him." So do they both get it or is there some sort of tiebreaker?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Maarten D. de Jong
Netherlands
Zaandam
flag msg tools
badge
1. Look at the player aid reference on the board, in the top-ish left. Equal number of swords = 2 Time Points (TP). You have more? 1 TP. You have less? 3 TP. If that file you reference says 'Both have 0 thus 1 TP', then it has it wrong, as both you and the tribe have an equal number of swords. Put another way: only the relative amount of swords matters, not the absolute amount.

2. Sounds very odd. In a 4 player-game you condemn four pairs of resources, each pair of a different type. There is no way to run out because the resource tokens (the printed ones) are linked 1-on-1 with what people occupy. They represent one inexhaustible unit of that resource. Only wooden tokens can run out, as they are one time use only and therefore in theory can be hoarded.

3. Both get it. You're reading too much in the singular.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Harris
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
1. That's what I figured, but I didn't think someone would let that player aid error go uncontested for so long unless there was a printing error in the original game and I missed the official clarification somewhere. So I'll just write that in on the printout...

2. Yeah, we probably botched setup then. I think we picked random locations, disregarding matching the territory tokens up with a corresponding resource on the board.

3. At the risk of continuing to read too much into it, if players can share the Zeus card then where do you put it when the rules say, "...which he places face down in front of him"?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Maarten D. de Jong
Netherlands
Zaandam
flag msg tools
badge
Olympos is not a popular game, so I doubt there will be many player aids in actual use. That said, I've made my own. (You'd be unable to use it though because it is in Dutch.)

As for your third point: it's not the card that is placed in front of the players, but the victory point chits.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Harris
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Right, it does say the point tokens, doesn't it? I feel kinda foolish for missing that.

It's not doing too terrible at #684 in the rankings, and my group seemed to be willing to play again, so I'm hoping we can keep it alive a little longer around here (tho the art on the cards kinda limits the sales in the states). I hope I can find the expansion for cheap somewhere...

Thanks very much for the rules answers!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Stearns
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I consider this a very under rated game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.