Popular Tags: [View All]
Stephan Beal
Germany
Geltendorf
Bayern
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ho the forum!

i thought i had sleeves covered (as it were) with FFG-yellow size. It turns out that thick/premium Yellows are 1mm too narrow. Those don't fit, but my old/recycled thin/non-premium ones fit quite well (probably because they were stretched out from prior use on my Zombicide kit before i upgraded its sleeves to premiums).

i have found 43x65mm sleeves by Swan, but:

- 65mm is really too tall.

- My supplier (Smiling-Monster.com) is currently at SPIEL and is not shipping anything until Oct. 24th . (They also completely shut down their website for a few weeks when they go on summer vacation.)

41x63mm (FFG yellow size) are a great height but a tick too narrow.

Has anyone got a link to sleeves which are "best fit" for these cards?

PS: we've all seen the clean-room and ABC-suit pictures in response to sleeving conversations about a zillion times already. There's no need to respond with them here.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Turner
Australia
Melbourne
VIC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Interesting - my game has yet to arrive, but I am generally a Mayday or Swanpansia man (that said, they have quit doing free shipping recently, and actually refuse orders over $75 outside of the US, so have become suddenly very hard to acquire in bulk - time for a new brand ?) - I also have a few FFG mini sleeves, but rarely find they are the right size.

I have often found mini-sleeves to be a little longer with FFG than Mayday, so if the mini yellows are too thin in FFG, it might be time to move up to Chimera's

That said, I've had some Swanpansia Chimeras for over a year now, and every time I bring them out they are ALWAYS too short, so I end up using the Mayday ones I have. So I'm surprised to hear they are too LONG in your case? Maybe a bad batch (not sure to whom though).

Guess I'll wait for my Conan to slowly make it's way to me before investigating further, but keen to hear more. (Will also see if Smiling Monster will ship internationally where Swan won't - suspect shipping prices will also hurt though !)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephan Beal
Germany
Geltendorf
Bayern
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Phantomwhale wrote:
Interesting - my game has yet to arrive, but I am generally a Mayday or Swanpansia man (that said, they have quit doing free shipping recently, and actually refuse orders over $75 outside of the US, so have become suddenly very hard to acquire in bulk - time for a new brand ?).

Luckily i've got 2 good sleeve suppliers right here in Germany: docsmagic.de and smiling-monster.com.

Phantomwhale wrote:

That said, I've had some Swanpansia Chimeras for over a year now, and every time I bring them out they are ALWAYS too short, so I end up using the Mayday ones I have. So I'm surprised to hear they are too LONG in your case? Maybe a bad batch (not sure to whom though).

"Too long" might be overstated - i find anything >=2mm to be too long for my tastes. 65mm would actually probably fit really well. The closest match i have handy is 68mm, which is certainly too tall. i've ordered some Swan 43x65, but the company is currently at Spiel and won't be shipping again until Oct 24th .

The sleeves:

http://www.smiling-monster.com/Card-Sleeves/Premium-Sleeves/...

Phantomwhale wrote:

Guess I'll wait for my Conan to slowly make it's way to me before investigating further, but keen to hear more. (Will also see if Smiling Monster will ship internationally where Swan won't - suspect shipping prices will also hurt though !)

Smiling Monster does ship international. Rates are here:

http://www.smiling-monster.com/Payment-and-Shipping:_:1.html

However: the Southern Pacific countries (and the Americas) are not in that list, so you might be out of luck :/.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Meriadoc Brandibuck
Italy
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Do you think there is any sleeve size that will fit the character sheets? My gaming group kinda likes spilling liquids over the table
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephan Beal
Germany
Geltendorf
Bayern
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Merry38 wrote:
Do you think there is any sleeve size that will fit the character sheets? My gaming group kinda likes spilling liquids over the table

Coincidentally, i looked into that last night...

SmilingMonster sells a sleeve which is 13x21cm, and the character cards are the same size as those in Zombicide (12x21cm):

They're a bit too tall, but "probably fine" (i haven't tried them, as i prefer my sleeves to fit snugly).

However, there's a more generic solution: 21cm is exactly the width of DIN A4 paper, so you just need to get some clear paper sleeves, like those used for storing papers long-term in binders. You can make sleeves out of those by simply trimming them to the right height and optionally taping shut the edge which you had to cut along. (i did this for my Zombicide cards.) If you're in the U.S. you might be out of luck, because the paper sizes there are wonky, but most of the rest of the world uses DIN paper sizes (and A4 is the rough equivalent of U.S. Letter).

Optionally: if you ordered the add-on boxes, the character cards in those boxes come packaged in some heavy-duty plastic baggies which could easily be used as-is for sleeves.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Meriadoc Brandibuck
Italy
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
sgbeal wrote:
Merry38 wrote:

SmilingMonster sells a sleeve which is 13x21cm, and the character cards are the same size as those in Zombicide (12x21cm):

They're a bit too tall, but "probably fine" (i haven't tried them, as i prefer my sleeves to fit snugly).

However, there's a more generic solution: 21cm is exactly the width of DIN A4 paper, so you just need to get some clear paper sleeves, like those used for storing papers long-term in binders. You can make sleeves out of those by simply trimming them to the right height and optionally taping shut the edge which you had to cut along. (i did this for my Zombicide cards.) If you're in the U.S. you might be out of luck, because the paper sizes there are wonky, but most of the rest of the world uses DIN paper sizes (and A4 is the rough equivalent of U.S. Letter).

Optionally: if you ordered the add-on boxes, the character cards in those boxes come packaged in some heavy-duty plastic baggies which could easily be used as-is for sleeves.

Sounds great, thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thanee
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Merry38 wrote:

Maybe you can sleeve the glasses and bottles?

Bye
Thanee
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Meriadoc Brandibuck
Italy
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Thanee wrote:
Merry38 wrote:

Maybe you can sleeve the glasses and bottles?

Bye
Thanee

Or my friends
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thanee
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
sgbeal wrote:

I still had some Arcane Tinmen "Mini", which are the same size as the FFG yellow (41x63mm), so I gave it a shot just to get an idea what size would be perfect.

And ... they fit really well!

Cards slide in with no force, i.e. they are not too narrow. And they are only a little bit longer than the cards (1-2mm?).

Close enough to perfection for me.

Bye
Thanee
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephan Beal
Germany
Geltendorf
Bayern
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanee wrote:
sgbeal wrote:

I still had some Arcane Tinmen "Mini", which are the same size as the FFG yellow (41x63mm), so I gave it a shot just to get an idea what size would be perfect.

And ... they fit really well!

Cards slide in with no force, i.e. they are not too narrow. And they are only a little bit longer than the cards (1-2mm?).

Close enough to perfection for me.

My "thin" FFG yellow-sized clones fit perfectly, actually, but i far prefer "thick"/premium sleeves (in particular because i can get them from a 3rd-party supplier for about 1/5th of FFG's price[1]), and those are too narrow . i ordered some slightly larger ones, but they won't be here for at least another week.

[1] =
thin: http://www.docsmagic.de/100-Docsmagicde-Mini-American-Board-...
thick: http://www.docsmagic.de/50-Docsmagicde-Premium-Mini-American...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thanee
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Arcane Tinmen only has that one kind of sleeve thickness for their boardgame sleeves, I think, but they are of premium quality.

Bye
Thanee
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephan Beal
Germany
Geltendorf
Bayern
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Update: my 43x65mm Swan sleeves arrived:

Though they are as thick as i like, i find them too big (they fit, but too loosely for my tastes). i'm going to stick with my FFG yellow-sized "thin" sleeves, as those fit like a glove (whereas the thick ones are a tick too narrow).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug Nordwall
msg tools
sgbeal wrote:

Though they are as thick as i like, i find them too big (they fit, but too loosely for my tastes). i'm going to stick with my FFG yellow "thin" sleeves, as those fit like a glove (whereas the thick ones are a tick too narrow).

You are referring to https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/products/fantasy-fligh... ? Just to be clear.

Also, I'd like to thank you for all your posts both here and on google+. your information has been invaluable.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephan Beal
Germany
Geltendorf
Bayern
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
raleel wrote:
sgbeal wrote:

Though they are as thick as i like, i find them too big (they fit, but too loosely for my tastes). i'm going to stick with my FFG yellow "thin" sleeves, as those fit like a glove (whereas the thick ones are a tick too narrow).

You are referring to https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/products/fantasy-fligh... ? Just to be clear.

Actually, a 3rd-party clone, but AFAIK 100% compatible with FFG (and about 20% of FFG's price):

http://www.docsmagic.de/100-Docsmagicde-Mini-American-Board-...

i've used those same sleeves on several FFG games (Talisman (incl. all expansions), Elder Sign, Eldritch Horror, DungeonQuest), as well as Zombicide.

raleel wrote:
Also, I'd like to thank you for all your posts both here and on google+. your information has been invaluable.

My pleasure!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jens Larsen
Denmark
Horsens
flag msg tools
sgbeal wrote:
Merry38 wrote:

I bought the 13cmx21cm sleeves and they are indeed a bit too large. And also a bit too large for my taste. Your tip about using A4 paper sleeves was spot on, however. In goes the character sheet/turn tracker/skill reference sheet and snip-snip with a pair of scissors - perfect fit! Great tip!

The 13cmx21cm sleeves are not a total loss, though. They fit the character cards in DungeonQuest and in Eldritch Horror, except for being too large. So once again, scissors to the rescue!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephan Beal
Germany
Geltendorf
Bayern
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Uthin wrote:
The 13cmx21cm sleeves are not a total loss, though. They fit the character cards in DungeonQuest and in Eldritch Horror, except for being too large. So once again, scissors to the rescue!

There's a precise-fit sleeve for those:

http://www.smiling-monster.com/Card-Sleeves/Standard-Card-Sl...

Those perfectly fit:

- PC and Ending cards for Talisman
- PC and AO cards from Eldritch Horror
- PC cards from DungeonQuest

Alternately, 4x6" sleeves can be used for those, with the extra inch or so trimmed off using scissors.

There's a photo of these in action at:

https://plus.google.com/+StephanBeal/posts/7e1piKG6RNK

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Laine
United States
Whittier
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
sgbeal wrote:
raleel wrote:
sgbeal wrote:

Actually, a 3rd-party clone, but AFAIK 100% compatible with FFG (and about 20% of FFG's price):

http://www.docsmagic.de/100-Docsmagicde-Mini-American-Board-...

i've used those same sleeves on several FFG games (Talisman (incl. all expansions), Elder Sign, Eldritch Horror, DungeonQuest), as well as Zombicide.

Why are you referring to them as FFG sleeves? That's just an added layer of confusion. Refer to them by their own brand name. The size (Mini American) has nothing to do with whether or not they're FFG brand sleeves--only sleeves produced by Fantasy Flight Games are FFG.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephan Beal
Germany
Geltendorf
Bayern
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
miesdeldolor9 wrote:
Why are you referring to them as FFG sleeves? That's just an added layer of confusion. Refer to them by their own brand name. The size (Mini American) has nothing to do with whether or not they're FFG brand sleeves--only sleeves produced by Fantasy Flight Games are FFG.

i refer to the size as "FFG yellow" because that's the only way i remember them (i can never seem to remember the associated measurements). i admit, that's possibly confusing, and will be more careful about that in future posts.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Emerson
United States
Holden
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I sleeved mine with "real" FFG brand yellow sleeves and they fit perfectly...this whole thread had me very confused as FFG doesn't make thin and thick sleeves - they're all thick.

https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/products/fantasy-fligh...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Laine
United States
Whittier
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
sgbeal wrote:
miesdeldolor9 wrote:

i refer to the size as "FFG yellow" because that's the only way i remember them (i can never seem to remember the associated measurements). i admit, that's possibly confusing, and will be more careful about that in future posts.

You should edit your entire post to correct your mistake and stop misleading people. FFG brand Mini American sleeves fit perfectly. Your off-brand sleeves--which you should never refer to as FFG--are missized.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephan Beal
Germany
Geltendorf
Bayern
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
miesdeldolor9 wrote:
You should edit your entire post to correct your mistake and stop misleading people. FFG brand Mini American sleeves fit perfectly. Your off-brand sleeves--which you should never refer to as FFG--are missized.

i have updated them to reflect "FFG yellow-sized" rather than "FFG yellow". The colors are the only way i remember card sizes, so i'm not going to remove the FFG point of reference. i will be more careful about the branding in future posts.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Laine
United States
Whittier
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
sgbeal wrote:
miesdeldolor9 wrote:

i have updated them to reflect "FFG yellow-sized" rather than "FFG yellow". The colors are the only way i remember card sizes, so i'm not going to remove the FFG point of reference. i will be more careful about the branding in future posts.

That's exactly the problem. You're entirely missing the point. These aren't FFG anything, they're Mini American. Your brand of sleeve is not FFG, it'/ whatever 3rd party brand you're using. You should say "X Brand Mini American."

Damn, these posts should just be taken down. You're just sowing confusion by claiming your off-brand sleeves are FFG FFG brand for no reason.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.