Scott Caputo
United States
Santa Clara
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I just want to make sure I understand which money Fortune doubles:

* All treasure cards (this seems obvious)
* All money listed on action cards (I think yes?)
* All coins collected from cards like Baker/Butcher (I'm not sure)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
Glory to Rome!
badge
"Let each man pass his days in that wherein his skill is greatest" Propertius Sextus
mbmbmbmbmb
scottwildcatman wrote:

All sources of get doubled. Any coins you generate after Fortune is played are not doubled. Only the timing matters, not the source.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clive Jones

Cambridgeshire, UK
msg tools
mb
scottwildcatman wrote:

It doubles the amount of coin you have available for buying stuff.

So...
Quote:

Yes.
Quote:

Yes.
Quote:

It doesn't double how many coin tokens you have. But if you've played any of your coin tokens before playing Fortune, it does double the spending money you now have as a result.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Teverbaugh
United States
Anderson
Indiana (IN)
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would say no to coins. The others yes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dale Stephenson
United States
Buford
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The only restriction on coin tokens is that they be spent in the Buy phase before a card is purchased. Since Fortune is played in the Buy Phase, there would be no issue in turning coins tokens into virtual money before playing Fortune, at which point Fortune would double the virtual money.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pawel Pawlak
Poland
near Poznań
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
rickert wrote:

Then you'd be wrong.

You could be right, however, if you mean "unplayed coins", but that would also be true for "unplayed Treasures" (those you still have in hand when you play Fortune).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Teverbaugh
United States
Anderson
Indiana (IN)
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There was no mention in the original post that the coins had been spent but rather that they were gained as I recall.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Schumann
United States
Saint Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
scottwildcatman wrote:

Maybe an example would help:

You play Market (you have 1 coin to spend). You play Militia (now you have 3). You play Silver (up to 5 now). You spend a Coin Token. At this point, you have 6 coins to spend.

Then you play Fortune. This doubles what you have to spend at that moment... so you'd then have 12 coins to spend. Just like Bank gets you 1 coin per Treasure you've played so far, it matters exactly when you play Fortune.

You could then play another Copper and a Coin Token. Those would not get doubled, and you'd end up with 14.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Crawford
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
m_knox wrote:
rickert wrote:

Then you'd be wrong.

You could be right, however, if you mean "unplayed coins", but that would also be true for "unplayed Treasures" (those you still have in hand when you play Fortune).

He's right (given that by "coins" he means "coin tokens"). It's all semantics as none of us actually disagree on the rule, but all coin tokens that you have are "unplayed coin tokens". Playing Fortune does NOT double the number of coin tokens you have. It doubles the amount of money you have, no matter where that money came from, including money that came from previously spending coin tokens.

Also, it's helpful in general to realize that Dominion has no "memory" of where money came from. No card exists that mentions or cares about the source of your money. If you have $8 to spend, nothing in the game "knows" if that came from 8 Markets, or spending 8 coin tokens, or playing 8 Coppers. And with various new cards/events, it's possible to trash cards that are in play, meaning that there would't even be a physical reminder of where the money came from.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.