Hide
58 Posts
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » General Gaming

Subject: Poll to find out if people buy the games seen on ads on BGG rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Poll: Game Purchased by Ads on BGG
I am curious as to how many people purchase a game that they see on a ad here on BGG and if this is a good option for a small publishing company.

If you would like to add a comment explaining your answer or maybe giving one that is not on the poll that better explains your position that would be great.

Thank you.

P.S. I may make a another poll if I feel I am not getting the answers I need or am looking for.
Do you buy the games seen on BGG.com banner Ads?
  Your Answer   Vote Percent Vote Count
Yes
6.2% 23
No
50.1% 186
After much research
30.7% 114
Only if they are Kickstarter games
2.4% 9
Only if they are NOT Kickstarter games
1.6% 6
Other (Please explain in post)
8.9% 33
Voters 371
This poll is now closed.   371 answers
Poll created by TheSpiceOfLife
Closes: Sat Dec 31, 2016 6:00 am
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephanie Prince
Canada
Lacombe
AB
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I never see any banner ads (blocked.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin V
United States
Victorville
California
flag msg tools
badge
Fan of Cartoonist Phil Foglio
mbmbmbmbmb
While I voted "After much research," truth be told 1, maybe 2.

I rarely click on the adds, and when I do, it's more out of curiosity.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J J
Australia
flag msg tools
No, and I make a point of avoiding things that I see advertising for.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Liam (Away/AFK)
Scotland
flag msg tools
admin
badge
I am BGG's official honey trap
mbmbmbmbmb
(Just another user who happens to be a volunteer admin).

If I've heard of a game and I like the idea of it, I will then research it, if I still like what I've learned I will buy it.

Adverts for me are crucial at the exposure (hearing of a game) part. If I've never heard of a game there is no chance of me buying it... a dish best served cold.Ensuring that information about your game is disseminated is also a crucial part.

Timing adverts to be in synergy with a launch/buzz/Crowdfund are, IMO, key to getting the maximum return for your buck.

Guide to Promoting Crowdfunds and Games on the Geek

If you contact the Advertising Manger Chad he'll answer any questions you have a go over options, perks and costs.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jay
United States
Fargo
North Dakota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The dirty secret in advertising is that seeing an add doesn't make you go out and buy a thing. Seeing something several times in different contexts will however make things a lot more familiar so you are more likely to buy it when you do see it. Marketers try to breed familiarity. Its a human weakness that makes trust something the more often you see something.

If I see an add 10 times on this site and 3 days later I see it on kickstarter, chances are I'll click to see what it is without thinking.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lluluien
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
monkeyhandz wrote:
(Just another user who happens to be a volunteer admin).

If I've heard of a game and I like the idea of it, I will then research it, if I still like what I've learned I will buy it.

Adverts for me are crucial at the exposure (hearing of a game) part. If I've never heard of a game there is no chance of me buying it... a dish best served cold.Ensuring that information about your game is disseminated is also a crucial part.

Timing adverts to be in synergy with a launch/buzz/Crowdfund are, IMO, key to getting the maximum return for your buck.

Guide to Promoting Crowdfunds and Games on the Geek

If you contact the Advertising Manger Chad he'll answer any questions you have a go over options, perks and costs.

In my opinion, this is especially important because of supply chain problems in this industry. The industry seems to have a problem with the logistics of getting reprints into the hands of people willing to pay for them, so this timing phenomenon is pretty important if pre-order volume is telling you how many copies to make. If I hear about a game after I can't buy it anymore, it does the publisher no good, because even if I buy it on the secondary market for a ridiculous price, the scalper is the one that got the benefit, not the publisher.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
marc lecours
Canada
ottawa
ontario
flag msg tools
mbmb
Don't read the ads. But I notice the names of games in the ads. The ads can put a game's name into my consciousness. If a game is already getting a lot of buzz then the ad has no effect.

If the ad is for a game that I have never heard of, then I might start noticing the game's name here and there. That will often lead me to read the reviews for the game.

Much bigger impact comes from reviews. I prefer the written reviews to the video reviews.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Netherlands
flag msg tools
       This space              intentionally              left blank.
badge
I have never bought a game due to having (consciously) seen it in a banner ad.

I have, however, acquired two games where my familiarity with the game could be primarily attributed to a BGG contest for that game. A favorable impression of the game's mechanics and theme from the contest is what made me try out the game months later, and that then led to me buying the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J C Lawrence
United States
Campbell
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
I don't see the ads (blocked). My general response to all advertising is to avoid/ignore the advertised item.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fenmar
Italy
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
As a European player, shipping rates add a lot to most of the games that are sold on BGG (say, about 12 dollars for a game that costs 30-40$). I rarely buy online then... :-)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lluluien
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
clearclaw wrote:
I don't see the ads (blocked). My general response to all advertising is to avoid/ignore the advertised item.

I actually like seeing targeted ads like what I see on BGG so long as they're not video and more importantly, that they are policed for malware or runaway scripting. There are sites I have to block ads on because they don't do that. Like anything connected in even the most remote way to Yahoo. Ugh.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason
United States
Ogden
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't see the ads, because I've paid to disable them. I don't feel like ads, as much as they try to target me based on internet history or other data, are useful.

I tend to seek out the products I'm interested in. And, having a product advertised to me will actually decrease my desire to buy it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Homo Ludens
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
slprince wrote:
I never see any banner ads (blocked.)

+1
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron
Austria
Vienna
flag msg tools
All you need is love :)
badge
Devoted Follower of the Most Holy Church of the Evil Bob. Possessed and down the road to become chaotic, evil & naughty. All hail the Evil Bob and his Stargate.
mbmbmbmbmb
As a supporter, I have all ads deaktivated. Makes for a much cleaner layout on the screen without any disctractions.

However, I often log out just to see the ads here on the Geek. I'd wish for a function to see all ads on one page!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drew
United States
Dallas
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I also do not see ads, but I rarely click on targeted ads on other websites.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have only blocked ads when a video one is running, the others I will click into if the subject interests me, then research further if needed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Rogers
United States
Yakima
WA
flag msg tools
badge
Receive with simplicity everything that happens to you.
mb
Ad block.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron
Netherlands
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Even though I support BGG, I keep the ads turned on. Sometimes there are actually games that interest me in there, so I use them as one of my ways to learn about stuff
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Stephen
Scotland
Dundee
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Never pay attention to banner ads on any website, assuming they aren't blocked.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Jones
United States
Gainesville
Florida
flag msg tools
Yeah it's here! Really it's right here.
mbmbmbmbmb
Ads blocked, so don't see them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
roger miller
United States
California
flag msg tools
publisher
As a small publisher I can say ads on BGG are effective. But key to understanding this is that all ads, internet, print, TV, radio, have very low rates of response.It is an investment over time in making people aware of your company and your product. It is not a way to get some huge number of sales in a short time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexander Ord
United Kingdom
Darlington
County Durham
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I specifically keep adblock disabled on BGG. I discover more games this way and they don't bother me at all. They're just tiny banners, nothing to get worked up over even if they don't interest me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thom0909
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
lifelesspoet wrote:
The dirty secret in advertising is that seeing an add doesn't make you go out and buy a thing. Seeing something several times in different contexts will however make things a lot more familiar so you are more likely to buy it when you do see it. Marketers try to breed familiarity. Its a human weakness that makes trust something the more often you see something.

Also, people don't admit to being influenced by advertising. Market researchers know this. You ask directly, people say "no, I don't pay attention to ads." But you can track sales before and after, and the impact is there.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Prop Joe wrote:
lifelesspoet wrote:

Also, people don't admit to being influenced by advertising. Market researchers know this. You ask directly, people say "no, I don't pay attention to ads." But you can track sales before and after, and the impact is there.

Yep. Pretty easy to predict the responses in this thread. I click game ads once in a while if they look interesting.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.