Tanks: Panther vs Sherman» Forums » General

Subject: Buyer's Aid: Double Deal Tanks rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Crazy Fella
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello,

If a list like this is already somewhere else, I apologize and fully admit to being lazy.

After receiving my first order and putting my tanks together this weekend I wanted to compile a list of "double deals" to help others interested in expanding their game by adding tanks. When I say double deals I mean tanks that you are able to put together yet still maintain variant options.

For example:

Starter Set Shermans: Comes with 75mm and 76mm turrets. After assembly you can switch the turrets at will.

Does this make sense? I'll continue with the tanks I have thus far:

Starter Set Panther: Comes with parts for Panther or JagdPanther. If you glue the bottom half of the chasis together and don't glue the top half to it you can switch between the two tanks at will.

SU-100: Comes with parts for SU-100 and SU-85. If you glue the bottom half of the chasis together you can switch the top halves at will.

IS-2: Comes with parts for an IS-2 or an IS-85. You must choose one or the other.

Pershing: Comes with parts for a Pershing or a Super Pershing. You must choose one or the other.

Panzer IV: Comes with parts for a Panzer IV.

StuG: Comes with parts for a StuG.

I was going to complain about this at first but it's not really a complaint. I was quite surprised to open the IS-2 and see I could also use it to make an IS-85, but then a little bummed to see there wasn't a way to build it and use it for both like with the Shermans or the Panther. Of course, with a tank like the Pershing you could buy it, build a Super Pershing, then order the Pershing Platoon from Flames of War, build one more Super Pershing and two Pershings and save some money if you wanted 4 Pershings eventually.

I just want for other people looking to get into the game like me to know that some of the expansions have options that you will want to plan for. It might change what you do and don't buy.

If anyone else wants to add the ones that I don't have and the options for them that would be great. I would assume the expansions for the Sherman and the Panther are the same as the Starter as far as parts.

I guess the other good point to note is that even if you have the Sherman and the Panther from the starter, the expansions might be worth getting as they each come with a Hero that is not available anywhere else. Each expansion comes with a unique hero for that matter. I play Fantasy Flight's Star Wars X-Wing so I'm used to companies doing things like that but it might be new for some people.

So hopefully that helps, and happy tanking!

tl;dr Read this to learn which tanks can serve as multiple models and which cannot.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aradraug
Czech Republic
Novy Jicin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
T-34: Comes with T-34 and T-34/85 turrets. After assembly you can switch between them.

Cromwell: Only Cromwell.

Sherman Firefly: You have to choose between Sherman Firefly or Sherman V. One or another.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marco Signore
Italy
Napoli
Italy
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Comet: you can only build a Comet, no variations
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Troy Mullineaux
United States
Fridley
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Haven't put mine together and still waiting on starter set.
Is leaving top part unglued wonky, could a magnet help if so?
Looks like a second starter set could be really useful then as would looking for Flames of War additions.
Thanks for the info!

Are any bottoms interchangeable across different tanks?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
my eye
United States
Pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
US Jackson: You can build out both an M10 and M36 (Jackson) turret and swap them out on the one common hull and chassis.

I strongly suspect that this kit is/will be the same one in the British Achilles and Soviet M10 (Lend lease) expansion, as there are alternate parts and a third barrel option on the sprue.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig H
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
earache wrote:
US Jackson: You can build out both an M10 and M36 (Jackson) turret and swap them out on the one common hull and chassis.

I strongly suspect that this kit is/will be the same one in the British Achilles and Soviet M10 (Lend lease) expansion, as there are alternate parts and a third barrel option on the sprue.

I can't speak for the Lend Lease but it is the same sprue as the UK Achilles. But if I were a betting man, I'm sure the Lend Lease is identical.

The UK M10 does share parts with the US one so you can't build both turrets. You could however, build the M36 turret from the UK kit.

Your best reference is usually the Flames Of War site - look under "all plastic" in the store for the boxed sets.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.