5 Posts

Antike Duellum» Forums » General

Subject: Should I buy Antike Duellum if I already have Antike II? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Puresand
Finland
flag msg tools
First of all, I want to say that I love Antike II. Only complaint about the game I have is that it does not play with two. Is Antike Duellum basically a two-player version of Antike II? Is it worth getting if you already have Antike II? I understand it largely it depends also on how much you play with what player count, and I sometimes play with two, but more frequently with more than two.

After reading the comments, it seems like Polis: Fight for the Hegemony and A Few Acres of Snow could be good options for Antike Duellum. Any thoughts on them, or maybe there are other good options?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Filip Cam
Belgium
Kontich
Antwerp
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
puresand wrote:
Is Antike Duellum basically a two-player version of Antike II?

Yes, though it came first.

puresand wrote:
Is it worth getting if you already have Antike II?

Yes, definitely. Antike Duellum is a fantastic 2p experience. I think Antike plays best with 5 or 6, I've never even tried it with less than 4. Seems like a bad idea.

puresand wrote:
After reading the comments, it seems like Polis: Fight for the Hegemony and A Few Acres of Snow could be good options for Antike Duellum. Any thoughts on them, or maybe there are other good options?

Polis is a much more complex and longer game, where Duellum has very simple rules. AFAoS is not so satisfactory as a dudes-on-a-map game imo.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Puresand
Finland
flag msg tools
Thank you for the reply. Would Navegador be another good choice?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Walt
United States
Orange County
California
flag msg tools
In memorium. Bob Hoover died 25 Oct 2016 at 94. In WWII he was shot down in a Spitfire and stole an FW-190 to escape. He spent decades at air shows flying Ole Yeller, shown
badge
Please contact me about board gaming in Orange County.
mbmbmbmbmb
krommenaas wrote:
puresand wrote:
Is Antike Duellum basically a two-player version of Antike II?

Yes, though it came first.

Just to clarify, Antike (2005) was the first of Mac Gerdts's rondel games. Antike Duellum is from 2012. Antike II is from 2013, and is a lightly modified version of Antike [I].

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Filip Cam
Belgium
Kontich
Antwerp
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
puresand wrote:
Thank you for the reply. Would Navegador be another good choice?

Navegador is a completely different kind of game. The rondel is just an action selection mechanism. I personally didn't like Navegador, but that's just my taste, it obviously has a lot of fans.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.