Popular Tags: [View All]
Sebastian Grawan
Germany
Lehrte
Niedersachsen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi!

I got my kickstarted copy of the game at SPIEL 2016 and now have some questions about the game rules...

1) Page 6, Reaction: Defense, "defeated Hero retrieves all his cards, except the red card, which is placed on the turn 1 slot of the player mat"

-> Which 'red card' is this? Does this mean that the 'red card' is what my Hero has to do in his next 'turn 1'? I thought defeated heroes only return to the game at the end of the next 'turn 1' (page 4, index number 3)?

2) How do I keep track of the current level of my Hero?

3) Wuk & Hanu are supposed to be fielded at a odd player count. But which team is supposed to field them? The team with the odd number of players or the other one? If the odd-numbered team fields them, are they supposed to split Wuk and Hanu to two seperate players?

4) Don't minions ever move when not moved by the action of a Hero or when a lane push happens?

5) Ranged attacks are not blocked by miniatures or terrain features, right?

6) Mountain spaces only affect movement, right?

Thanks for any help!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Arty N.
Latvia
Riga
flag msg tools
designer
rashktah wrote:

1) Page 6, Reaction: Defense, "defeated Hero retrieves all his cards, except the red card, which is placed on the turn 1 slot of the player mat"

-> Which 'red card' is this? Does this mean that the 'red card' is what my Hero has to do in his next 'turn 1'? I thought defeated heroes only return to the game at the end of the next 'turn 1' (page 4, index number 3)?

Page 4, index 3:
Heroes defeated in the previous round return to play at the end of Turn 1.

I.e. you skip the first turn of the round in which you return to play. And to indicate it the red card is placed in the "Turn 1" slot of the player mat.

rashktah wrote:

2) How do I keep track of the current level of my Hero?

By looking at the number of items you have.

rashktah wrote:

3) Wuk & Hanu are supposed to be fielded at a odd player count. But which team is supposed to field them? The team with the odd number of players or the other one? If the odd-numbered team fields them, are they supposed to split Wuk and Hanu to two seperate players?

Page 2:
"their combined power level is equal to that of a single hero"

So if you have a 2 v 1 player situation, the team with 2 players will have to use Wuk and Hanu with each player playing one of the apemen.

rashktah wrote:

4) Don't minions ever move when not moved by the action of a Hero or when a lane push happens?

Yep.

rashktah wrote:

5) Ranged attacks are not blocked by miniatures or terrain features, right?

Right!

rashktah wrote:

6) Mountain spaces only affect movement, right?

Right! :)

rashktah wrote:

Thanks for any help! :)

Ask any question. I`m here to help :)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sebastian Grawan
Germany
Lehrte
Niedersachsen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
More questions
Thanks!

The 'red card' is supposed to be the one red attack card the hero had equipped at the time he was killed? Doesn't that impede the hero's strength quite seriously in the turn he is respawned?

Another question: the target&arrow symbol with the number in it is the attack strength of the ranged attack of a given hero, right?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Arty N.
Latvia
Riga
flag msg tools
designer
rashktah wrote:
Thanks!
The 'red card' is supposed to be the one red attack card the hero had equipped at the time he was killed?

The "red card" is your current (and only) red card. Since you can only have one card in each color slot.

If you somehow still have enough gold to level-up after being killed, the new red card is locked in place of the one you had.

In other words, if die, you join the game after the first turn of the following round and your red card is already discarded when you enter the game. (you can still get it back using the right skills)

rashktah wrote:

Doesn't that impede the hero's strength quite seriously in the turn he is respawned?

That's the plan :)

Dying leaves you in a weakened state for one round which allows the other team to utilize it to push the lane.
Otherwise attacking heroes would be pointless and it would become a race of who kills the minions quicker.

rashktah wrote:

Another question: the target&arrow symbol with the number in it is the attack strength of the ranged attack of a given hero, right?

Nope :) It's range icon. See the 2nd example on page 6.
The strength of the attack is always swords.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sebastian Grawan
Germany
Lehrte
Niedersachsen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Rickenbacker1978
Ah, I see! Thank you very much!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Achim Zien
Germany
Oldenburg
flag msg tools
designer
There's a theory: if ever anyone discovers exactly what the Universe is for and why it is here, it will instantly disappear and be replaced by something even more bizarre and inexplicable. There's another theory: this has already happened.
mbmbmbmbmb
nichik wrote:

rashktah wrote:

Doesn't that impede the hero's strength quite seriously in the turn he is respawned?

That's the plan

I think it's easy to remember if you realize that the red card is not your regular but your super-skill attack. When you respawn, your super-skill attack simply is not yet ready for use. You have to charge it up, first.

You can still attack a bit, walk (will be necessary!), not die and be of utility.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Iradian
Canada
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
PiHalbe wrote:
nichik wrote:

rashktah wrote:

That's the plan

I think it's easy to remember if you realize that the red card is not your regular but your super-skill attack. When you respawn, your super-skill attack simply is not yet ready for use. You have to charge it up, first.

You can still attack a bit, walk (will be necessary!), not die and be of utility.

Also want to point out that as one of the testers of the game, the game did drag quite a bit when people had all of their cards when they respawned. The deaths usually occurred in Turns 3 and 4, so if you died at those Turns, the advantage to the enemy team was minimal at best. By having your red card taken out for an entire round plus the number of turns in the previous round, it's pretty much a guaranteed push for the enemy team while forcing your team to be on the defensive. It's a good way to simulate a MOBA game where if there was a 4 v 5 player advantage, the offensive strike starts.

I can understand the potential frustration behind it, especially if you are new to the game, but the death system makes sense once you have a group of players that have good familiarity on what other characters can and cannot do. Unlike most Skirmish games, there are times in Guards of Atlantis where not engaging the enemy whatsoever is your best option.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Heiko Schmitz
Germany
flag msg tools
Another Wuk & Hanu Question:

They seem to be missing some Cards (or is it just my Box)

Wuk (the big one) does not have a blue Tier II
Hanu (the small one) does not have a red Tier II
Both have no ultimate.

I think it's intended to be so, but how does leveling up work with them? Like when u are level 4, can u already skill a Tier III or do u skip skilling? When they are level 6 they cannot level up anymore ?

Edit: Ignore me, I just found it on Page 9
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.