Apex Theropod Deck-Building Game» Forums » General

Subject: How good are the expansions? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Lior A
France
flag msg tools
Hi,

I am getting Apex and I thought of also getting 1-2 expansions.

How good are they?
Are they just more variety, and if so how much variety does the base game offers?

Thanks
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bret Gaidos
United States
Gresham
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
How often do you think you will be playing? I was given the game and all the expansions as a gift, and I enjoy the game, but haven't been able to get it to the table often enough to use anything but the base game yet.

The main game comes with enough content to keep my playing for a long time, so I would not buy them. Having said that, I believe the company has gone out of business and you might want to pick up the expansions if you can get your hands on them. They may be hard to come by very soon if they aren't already.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David A
United States
Yorktown
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
They add not only a new species deck, but also a couple more cards for the base set's deck as well as new Prey, Titan, Boss, Minion, Big Game, and Menace cards.

If you can get them, get them!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Redd

San Diego
California
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
Thud105 wrote:
They add not only a new species deck, but also a couple more cards for the base set's deck as well as new Prey, Titan, Boss, Minion, Big Game, and Menace cards.

If you can get them, get them!

I agree, if you have the opportunity pick them up (at non-scalper prices) they are worth it. Die Hard LLC has gone bankrupt and future of the license uncertain, but it is a great game!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lior A
France
flag msg tools
Thanks.

Which ones are the better ones?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
kimchi fried rice
United States
Alameda
California
flag msg tools
AKIMBO!
badge
반갑습니다!
mbmbmbmbmb
I honestly would be Stomping grounds if you were to only pick one, since they add new Apex cards to every class, opening up the opportunity to deck build your apex decks, since the pool of cards is expanded.

In addition, the stomping grounds ability adds another layer of player interaction the game desperately needs.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lior A
France
flag msg tools
xBino wrote:
I honestly would be Stomping grounds if you were to only pick one, since they add new Apex cards to every class, opening up the opportunity to deck build your apex decks, since the pool of cards is expanded.

In addition, the stomping grounds ability adds another layer of player interaction the game desperately needs.

Thanks.

And between the Saurophagana, Suchomimus and Therizinosauru?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Big Sixer
United States
Eagan
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Badigel wrote:
xBino wrote:

Thanks.

And between the Saurophagana, Suchomimus and Therizinosauru?

These are all equally "good". Pick the Dino you like best.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
sean stockton
msg tools
mbmb
Saurophaganax is actually one of my very favorite to play
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doc H

Tennessee
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I vote get them all because:
1. Since the company is now extinct, these will become harder to find.
2. I thnk each expansion has some environment cards (someone correct me if I'm wrong). So, instead of choosing 7 out of 10 environment cards, you can mix all of the various environments together and you are choosing 7 from 17 or so---this gives a lot more variability in the environment phases.
3. You need them. You deserve them. Splurge.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
kimchi fried rice
United States
Alameda
California
flag msg tools
AKIMBO!
badge
반갑습니다!
mbmbmbmbmb
I say get Stomping Grounds if you can only afford/want to get one expansion.

If you want more Apexes, it really makes sense to them all since they add new environment cards to the pool and more new cards to the base game dinos
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.