Subject: GLORY OR TANNENBERG. rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Freddy Dekker
Netherlands
Friesland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've long wanted a WW1 game, but usually they have a huge footprint so I don't have the space for them.

At the moment I'm trying to decide if I should buy this game or if I'd be better of trying the TANNENBERG intro game of that other ww1 series.

That series has campaign aswell, but as I won't have room for those anyway..
I wonder is someone has tried both.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Cornthwaite
United Kingdom
London
Greater London
flag msg tools
In the last few months I have tried both 'Tannenberg' (the introductory game to the DER WELTKRIEG series) and 'When Eagles Fight'.

Despite its designer's excellent and highly commendable video tutorials, I found for some reason that 'Tannenberg' didn't really suit me, possibly because of the unfamiliar hex design, or possibly because of the intricacy of the movement and combat mechanics. By contrast, 'When Eagles Fight' worked very well indeed for me, though I have not yet tried its companion game 'Glory's End'.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Freddy Dekker
Netherlands
Friesland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks, for some reason I felt there was no point in owning both.

I would like a game that allowed me to play the whole war, and no doubt one does exist but..... space....soblue

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Terry Lewis
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi, Freddy

If you are looking for one map games of all of WWI in Europe, let me recommend two that have been in my collection for years: "The Great War: 1914-1918" (1976, Morningside Game Project / Rand Pub., Albert A. Nofi; John Prados; Ania B. Ziolkowska); and, "World War I: 1914-1918" (1975, SPI / S&T # 51, James F. Dunnigan; Redmond A. Simonson). There are copies of both listed for sale on BGG. The SPI game was one of my favorites for years, I just haven't had the time to have a go at it recently! Check out the descriptions and pictures on BGG.

terry (a retired professor in Oregon)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donald Johnson
United States
Seguin
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
There is now a 3rd edition of S&T WWI, published in the DG S&T. It won the best DG wargame mag game last year and I think it is very good. Army level for the most part and the whole way, 6 month turns.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Freddy Dekker
Netherlands
Friesland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you.

Appreciate the help.

I did manage to find Albert Nofi's The Great War: 1914 - 1918, Publisher: One Small Step, so apparently that's still around.

Sofar no luck with the other one.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.