A Touch of Evil: The Supernatural Game» Forums » Rules

Subject: Rule about moving 4 instead of rolling rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Dizdi
Greece
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Since the rules for the expansions aren't up on the web, can someone confirm about an official variant rule about moving 4 spaces instead of rolling the die?

Thanks in advance!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chuck Hurd
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Not aware of such a rule for ATOE. You may be thinking of the official variant offered in Fortune and Glory:

"During a Hero’s Move, they now have two options;
they may either take a fixed movement of 4 Spaces (Sea
Space still have a movement cost as listed), OR they may
roll a die for movement and if the roll is 1 or 2, they get a
Free Event card. Note that they must choose which to do
before rolling the die."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Clevidence
United States
Woodburn
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've not been able to find it since either (maybe because I have checked (F&G's forums), but I was under the impression that I'd read about it in one of the ToE forums. The rule I heard was slightly different: Move 4 spaces, but still roll the die. On a 1, draw a free event card. It's the way we've been playing since we got the game and it's worked fine.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Davy Ashleydale
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Do you play that you have to move exactly 4 spaces, or it could be up to 4?

It seems like it would be too powerful to move 4 spaces and get an Event card -- the drawing of the Event card is supposed to be kind of a consolation for only getting to move one space.

Maybe if a player chooses to move 4 spaces instead of rolling, they still roll the die, as you suggested, but if a 1 comes up, they get an Event card and they can only move 1 space.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chuck Hurd
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Null Field wrote:
I think the 4 space move is in the Something Wicked expansion...

It does not exist in any of the ATOE official rulebooks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Evan Francis
Australia
Maryborough
Queensland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
No, I remember the move 4 variant rule too. I'll have a look.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Bos
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Fortune and Glory: A Cliffhanger Game has the 4 move rule. Also from Flying Frog Productions. It could be used I suppose if it is not already in the rules or errata.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc Bowling
msg tools
mb
Any word on this? Or thoughts about how this would affect balance to mayne house rule move up to 4 or even 3 or take chances and roll die? Dont have this game yet but I really want to get the wife into adventure games and eldeitch horror was a miserable failure (length and complexity)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Davy Ashleydale
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The Yellow Meeple wrote:
Any word on this? Or thoughts about how this would affect balance to mayne house rule move up to 4 or even 3 or take chances and roll die? Dont have this game yet but I really want to get the wife into adventure games and eldeitch horror was a miserable failure (length and complexity)

Do you think she wouldn't like the movement rule as is? I'm fine with it, myself.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chuck Hurd
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The Yellow Meeple wrote:

My opinion is that such a house rule will substantially affect the balance of the game because it will take some teeth out of the villain's evilness.

Eliminating natural movement rolls of 1 or 2 will fairly eliminate the Linger Dilemma. That is, do I decided to move 1 or 2 spaces to an empty road and effectively skip my turn, or do I decide to Linger and possibly have to roll on the Minion Chart.

I'm certain this is why an auto-move 4 spaces official variant was not offered for this game. Unlike FnG, the Linger Dilemma is a relied upon mechanic for creating interaction with the Minion Chart. Without it the game will suffer. It will become unnecessarily easier and quite bland IMO.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.