Subject: Tank duels with 3 or 4 tanks rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Craig Nicholls
Australia
Perth
Western Australia
flag msg tools
We played the 501st Heavy scenario today which pits a ton of T34s vs Tigers and panthers. It was fun, although raised a few questions:

1. How do you handle assaults where there are 2 vs 1 tanks or 2 vs 2? The tanks duel rules only cover 1 vs 1, and I don't imagine you would want to use the general melee rules (ie using He factors).
2. How can you kill Tigers in this scenario with T34s - even 2 vs 1 assaults weren't really touching them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ivan Kent
Australia
Narara
New South Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
From my reading, Tank Duels only exist if there is 1 vehicle from each side present, which seems to suggest that if a second unit reinforces the melee, it can only be a non-vehicle. And then it would not be a Tank Duel, but a normal melee, and if unbalanced then this could be a concentrated attack.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ed Pacitto
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I agree with Ivan.

Quote:
Tank Duel
1. When Melee occurs between 2 vehicles only, the
action is resolved with AP attacks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shayne Logan
Canada
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
In general, tanks cannot group move/assault move, so multi-tank Melee would only happen if 1 tank assault moved into an enemy hex with 2 tanks. In that case, iniative roll for first 2 shots of the tank duel, and then an additional shot for the third tank.

Part 2 of the question. How do you kill Tigers with T34s?
Answer, not easily.
Much the same as some German vehicles taking on KV tanks. It is possible to destroy, but just as effective for victory to keep Tigers Shaken/Broken or damage their main gun.

When Volume 2, comes out there will be a few tweaks to the Armor rules.
These will include a vehicle abandonment roll. This will be a part of the damage rolls. Crew fails Gut check and abandons the vehicle.

Another tweak will be in Tank Duel. As it stands now in the rules, a tank's front Armor is used in the duel. I will be adding a 1D6 roll before your attack roll. 1-2 and the enemy tanks front armor is hit, a 3-6 and its flank Armor is hit.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Pultorak
United States
Hudson
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Shouldn't the tank's hex entry direction determine angle of attack?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig Nicholls
Australia
Perth
Western Australia
flag msg tools
Thanks for the responses.

Jamm22 wrote:
In general, tanks cannot group move/assault move, so multi-tank Melee would only happen if 1 tank assault moved into an enemy hex with 2 tanks. In that case, iniative roll for first 2 shots of the tank duel, and then an additional shot for the third tank.

So If I have read you correctly Shayne in a 3 tank only melee you roll for initiative twice and resolve each attack immediately before moving onto the the next attack, with the remaining un-fired tank (if it has survived) then making the final attack roll? This makes sense to me as it is just extending the 1-1 tank duel rules.

It is also possible to have a 2 vs 2 tank melee as well though? If this was the case would it just be 3 rounds of initiative rolls with a final attack by the 4th in-fired tank if possible at that time?

Cheers, Craig

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eddie Carlson
United States
Clarksville
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Steve Pultorak wrote:
Shouldn't the tank's hex entry direction determine angle of attack?

Once they enter the same hex they start to "dance" and I wouldn't think that their entry facing matters as much since they are so close they are maneuvering for advantage. I just imagine them circling each other looking for the weak spot.

It reminds me of the Tiger duel scene in the movie Fury. At range, the Shermans are facing their fronts toward the Tiger. Once the last Sherman enters the "hex" with the Tiger, the circling duel begins.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.