Subject: Heavy Cuirassiers rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Andrewzgamez AzGzEz

Sarasota
Florida
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
On the quick reference card , in the notes section , it reads ' No Lancer flag re-rolls ' for the Cuirassiers . I can't see anything in the manual to clarify what this means . When are there re-rolls ?
Regards
Andrew

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Dippel
Germany
Rheinhausen
Baden-Württemberg
flag msg tools
I am from Bavaria
badge
King Ludwig II of Bavaria
mbmbmbmb
1.) Do you know the Light Lancer Cavalry unit?
If not, you should take a view first to these unit, which is available since the expansion 3 "Austrians"

http://www.commandsandcolors.net/napoleonics/the-game/game-b...

Maybe then you have already your answer

And if you have any missunderstanding, the notes don´t refer to any rerolls of the Cuirassiers, but to the Lancers
(very easy to understand if you reading/knowing both rules beside)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrewzgamez AzGzEz

Sarasota
Florida
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Danke schlon , Michael . I hadn't investigated at all , the possible expansions . I just opened up the core set last week . All makes sense now . And having enjoyed this game , as I have all other by R Borg , I am interested in the Austrian expansion army . I have seen fit to introduce house rule though . ' Roll one die less than you would otherwise do so when Battling-back ' . Otherwise play becomes to defensive-minded , and players just hold-out too long for the right cards , something of a luck-fest . Attack should be more greatly rewarded .

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Malczak
United States
Fairfax
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Obviously with House Rules, you can season to taste but I think you'll find melee combat a bit too powerful for the attacker if you further reduce a defenders battle back.

The defender already has to suffer through the initial attack and that will often reduce (sometimes greatly) their ability to battle.

And I think you'll also find that both players can play defensive for a bit and try and build a good hand. But eventually one will get there before the other and launch their attack. In any case, there is a lot of incentive to attack and make use of the strength of your army rather than letting the enemy use his. If you haven't already, read the post 'Why attack?' for some additional details. It just demonstrates the basics, but it's repeated in game over and over again with various decisions.

Have fun with the game and I'll be curious to see how your house rule works out. My guess is that it will favor the French (who want to melee and who have 4-block cav units).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrewzgamez AzGzEz

Sarasota
Florida
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Thanks for your input , Steve . In the three games that I have played so far , all without my proposed house-rule , the French lost . That was what first gave me the idea . I have now left my set with a different opponent , so that he may have a better idea of game play , before I can hopefully take him on next week . I'll let you know how it goes , as amended .

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Guillaume Gleize
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello,

1) Yes there are many many official and fans scenario and you will experiment numerous situations and believe me: The French are not underdog at all in general! Thanks to Richard Borg! In addition some scenarios are more or less balanced so it may be more or less difficult to play this or that side. Stats here: http://www.commandsandcolors.net/napoleonics/maps.html

2) For sure attacking in CCN is more complex than doing it in M44 or CCA! You must prepare your attack. The very common newcomer error is to attack with the front troops, then isolating them and creating a big gap between them and the back troops! So typically getting smashed by the defender and loosing the game while their back troops are still in full shape and never moved nor fought!

3) So if the winner in general is not the one who attack with isolated units, believe me: In general the winner IS NOT EITHER OFTEN THE ONE WHO ONLY DEFEND! When you attack you choose you strong point with numerous and stronger units (together with chosen hand section)! You put the enemy in emergency to answer in a specific place with specific cards he didn't chose (and may not have)! YOU DECIDE NOW! He doesn't! Plus you must prepare it with the many specific cards that can reduce or cancel the problem of the "no man's land" of two hexes (the usual shooting range)!

4) I must add that now many of us own all the expansions and the 5th one that add a second red deck of "tactical cards" with many bad surprises against the players who want to stay on top of their hills for the rest of the battle ... He He ... But still the core deck is enough to prepare and choose you point of attack for the win! CHARGEZZZ!

TAKING GUNS!

2D HUSSARD REGt CHARGING!

4TH HUSSARD REGt CHARGING!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrewzgamez AzGzEz

Sarasota
Florida
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Hello GG , thankyou for the response . Nice pictures . Now you have me wanting to get the Russian expansion too , along with the Austrian . My regular mid-week opponent , and best friend , is also a Frenchman . He is from Le Havre . We are both about 50 , and live 10 minutes away from each other , in the Japanese countryside . It is he to whom I have left my game . I am hoping he will play France ( with my proposed house rule ) .
I usually win the first time we play any game ( player experience , and rulebooks normally only being available in either English or Japanese ) . There might be a French version available , but our generation tends to shy away from computer technology when possible .
Regards
AndrewMandrew

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt G
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Crossing the no-man's land successfully in the face of withering fire is the essence of the game. Think carefully about applying the bouse rule or you may never be challenged enough to deduce the answer. I started with an Ancients bias and it took me a while to learn the different tactical style. It's worth the effort
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrewzgamez AzGzEz

Sarasota
Florida
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I like your ' fog of war ' photo . One thing that bothers me though ,about the game , is that I don't really see it as being similar to other games that have what I consider to be the Fog of War element . And that is the degree of mystery that surrounds the strength of units/leaders partaking . I think the likes of ' Ceasar's Gallic war ' or ' Hammer of the Scots ' fall more into such a category . Both excellent .

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Guillaume Gleize
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
---> Andrewzgamez: TY - appreciate

Two 50's europeans playing CCN in the Japanese countryside? WOW great!

I'm a 50's too (don't tell the women) living and playing in the center of France - City of Tours on the Loire river valley.

No French translation of the game even here in France where they sell it. This game had few success here maybe because of the Waterloo thema of the core game instead of Austerlitz or any of the other 60 Napoleon victories LOOOL!

I understand you lack of real fog of war but you know: The success of this game is that it is a LIGHT wargame who marvelously plugged the long time gap that existed between the boring complex real wargames and the "Risk-like" boring too simple children wargames!

So Richard Borg had this great idea to plug that hole and propose a light wargame for adults! Then it attracted people from both sides: "real" wargamers and light boardgamers to meet here. THEN ... sometime to time a "real" wargamer wants to take us back to their universe full of boring charts and two days long battles but it doesn't often work because most guys like me RESIST (lol) and tell them we want to stay in this beautiful "ONE BUDDY - ONE BOOTLE OF WINE - TWO HOURS" game!

Regards,
GG
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrewzgamez AzGzEz

Sarasota
Florida
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Entertaining post , thanks GG . Your last line is right on the money . I don't like having to consult long boring charts and rulebooks either , and even moreso French friend , Franc . 2 games that do have the fog-of-war element , that you might like , are ' Hammer of the Scots ' and ' Ceasear's Gallic War ' . Being French , you would probably prefer the later . Just an 8 page rulebook , and no charts . I like a fog-of-war game called Strike of the Eagle , but I couldn't recommend it in this case .
Regards
Andrew
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls

Minot
North Dakota
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The cards represent the "Fog and Friction of War" in this game. While it is true (barring one or two very specific exception scenarios), that you always know which units the other player has, you often do not know which ones are able to be ordered. Though it is not strictly realistic, it does a fair job of representing the Fog of War dealt with on a real battlefield, where general OOB and disposition is generally known, but how those troops were move and react is not.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.