Recommend
16 
 Thumb up
 Hide
14 Posts

Terraforming Mars» Forums » General

Subject: Terraformin Mars foam core insert rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Markus Lundin
msg tools
mbmbmb
So this is what I came up with.


To have the cards in a custom holder is especially good when you have your cards sleeved. I am quite satisfied with this insert. It serves its purpose well.
20 
 Thumb up
1.25
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Léo Chabanne
France
Grenoble
FRA
flag msg tools
I forgot one tiny rule..
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Pretty neat. Well done.

Question aside: how do you cut the foam board, because I'm using a utility knife and it's never a super clean cut?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Markus Lundin
msg tools
mbmbmb
Just an ordinary snap-off knife. Changing the blade often. I enjoy doing inserts a lot.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Florian Ruckeisen
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Looking sharp. But unless something like this is available for reasonable money, I guess I'll stick to bags like the pleb that I am.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Mulholland
United Kingdom
Bradford
West Yorkshire
flag msg tools
I really like squid.
badge
I really like squid.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
leochab wrote:
Pretty neat. Well done.

Question aside: how do you cut the foam board, because I'm using a utility knife and it's never a super clean cut?


Use a new blade and a metal edge/ruler.

Make a light, gentle cut just going through the top layer of paper. Then make a second firmer cut to go through the foam and bottom paper. You could even do three cuts (if you have the patience): paper, foam, paper.

Trying to go through everything at once will make the blade snag and tear the board.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Jackson
United States
Fort Collins
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
PeterM2158 wrote:
leochab wrote:
Pretty neat. Well done.

Question aside: how do you cut the foam board, because I'm using a utility knife and it's never a super clean cut?


Use a new blade and a metal edge/ruler.

Make a light, gentle cut just going through the top layer of paper. Then make a second firmer cut to go through the foam and bottom paper. You could even do three cuts (if you have the patience): paper, foam, paper.

Trying to go through everything at once will make the blade snag and tear the board.


Also, I find that touching up the blade using a fine diamond sharpener ($15ish) after every couple of cuts help keep the cuts cleaner...
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Roberts
United States
Independence
Missouri
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Very nicely done. I never have the patience to make them so clean. As an aside, folks do realize, you can do decent foam inserts even if you are not this fancy. I have done a few, and while not so pretty, they are very functional. The game box provides a nice structural template and will help fortify your insert once you put it in the box.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Newsham
United Kingdom
Halifax
West Yorkshire
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Markus, are those raised sections in the base hollow, or are they stacked up sections of foamcore?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Markus Lundin
msg tools
mbmbmb
They are hollow boxes. Because it uses less foam core, I think it is better to build hollow boxes when you want to create different levels. It's very good to build levels if you want shallow boxes for certain components.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Newsham
United Kingdom
Halifax
West Yorkshire
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks! Also I suppose you can modify the base and build new removable boxes if expansions need more room
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Markus Lundin
msg tools
mbmbmb
Tarnop wrote:
Thanks! Also I suppose you can modify the base and build new removable boxes if expansions need more room


Yes. I did that with my Mage Knight insert. No problems.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jelle Daems
Belgium
Laakdal
Vlaamse Gewest
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I really really like this insert. I have just begun making inserts in foamcore. Would you be so kind to share a plan where I could see the measurements? That would really really help me a lot. Thank you in advance!
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jan R.
Germany
Meiningen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I decided to use sandwichman's excellent design for the Terraforming Mars foam core insert as a basis to create an updated version: one combined tray for all sleeved cards, first player marker, and parameter cubes. However, I used plywood (4 pieces; 285 x 285 x 4 mm) instead of foam core. Seemed appropriate for this really great game. May be painted orange in the future.







Edits: Inserts painted. Board game link set.

2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom
Germany
Dresden
Saxony
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmb
sandwichman wrote:
Just an ordinary snap-off knife. Changing the blade often. I enjoy doing inserts a lot.


Hello looking really nice. Any chance to get the measurements? Or are you doing this also as a job?

I really like the Card-Holder!


Thanks in advance. I think mine will be white.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.