Subject: Best starting matchups for first few games rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Robert Derderian
United States
Troy
Michigan
flag msg tools
So that the first few games we play are fun and competitive and close in VP, what would be the best starting races to play in a 2 player game...especially the first game for learning. My guess for the first game should be Human vs Pilgrim but let me know if the Machines in the first game would be better or more interesting.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Evan McKinney
msg tools
mb
It's really going to depend on the play styles of everyone playing.

The general consensus seems to be that humans are the easiest to use and machines are the hardest.

So I would go with humans and pilgrims.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grant Rodiek
United States
Redwood City
CA
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
rderderian wrote:
So that the first few games we play are fun and competitive and close in VP, what would be the best starting races to play in a 2 player game...especially the first game for learning. My guess for the first game should be Human vs Pilgrim but let me know if the Machines in the first game would be better or more interesting.

Alternate suggestion: Play your first few games to get a feel for things and be less concerned with winning. They are all different, all lend to different play styles.

Two player is FAST if you don't AP. Just play, explore the space, and have fun.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Samuel Taylor

Alabama
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would actually suggest Humans and Machines (with only default skills) for the first two-player games as they are both a bit more battle oriented than the pilgrims. However, I actually do think all the factions are fairly balanced for the most part (though the scouting/occupation combo is very powerful and can be difficult to deal with in a two-player game... though if you're just using the default skills at first then this won't be a concern).

Note: it can be easy to forget that you need to discard a card from your hand to use the humans' default skill, but it is really important that you remember to do so in order to maintain balance (since this makes it more difficult for humans to save tactics cards for battles).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Derderian
United States
Troy
Michigan
flag msg tools
We played our first game as humans vs pilgrims and I had a bad first turn and never recovered as the pilgrims....I had too many tolls to conquer my first area and I had no where to retreat to. We got a few rules wrong but was fun and very fast.

Next game will be better and now we have the rules right.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oak Wolf
msg tools
All factions can be used in a first game, give humans to the least experienced gamer.

1. Read the strategy guides! Especially important for the pilgrims (and soon the Machines) as they have a steeper learning curve.

2. Use the default skills at first. Other skills will open up options, but you have more than enough to learn at first.

Then pick a faction that suits your mentality and learn over the course of the first few games. You will do mistakes, you might get a few rules off, but having a blast anyway is a sign of a really great game.

By now i've done 5 games and i can say all factions have won at 2p. Humans have won twice, machines twice and the pilgrim once.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.