Popular Tags: [View All]
Andi Kasper
Germany
Aachen
NRW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hallo dear geeks,

so I finally got this game and the first small box expansion.
Now I am a little overwhelmed with all the card piles etc. For somebody who never played the game, would you recommend to add the expansion cards to the matching piles of the base game straight away or play the base game a few times?
I did not see any big new mechanic that would make everything much more complicated.

How do you handle it? Do you have all the piles mixed up and always use the big card pools or mix them in sometimes when you want to play the specific expansion?

Also it is a question of storage. Do I have to seperate the cards all the time and store them seperately?

I watched all the Dice Tower reviews on the small box expansions but I still don't know how to handle this but I know that I want to have all of 'em

Sorry for the stupid question but I want to get the best possible experience especially because I have to convince my wife that the game is something we could play more often. Sometimes she does not want to play games that had a bumpy start for us although those were great games.

Regards Andreas

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark L
Singapore
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just mix everything in and leave them mixed in. Especially since Forsaken Lore adds a lot of variety to all the encounters, even for the base game Ancient Ones.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron
Austria
Vienna
flag msg tools
All you need is love :)
badge
Devoted Follower of the Most Holy Church of the Evil Bob. Possessed and down the road to become chaotic, evil & naughty. All hail the Evil Bob and his Stargate.
mbmbmbmbmb
I learned the game with FS already shuffled into the decks.
No problem meeple

Regarding your storage question: if you mean "separate the expansion from the base game" the answer is "no, that's absolutely not necessary!"
If you mean "how to store them easily" I suggest printing out some of the dividers available here on the Geek file section of the game.
This game surely uses a lot of cards and organization helps to reduce setup/cleanup time a lot.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Le Roux Van Der Vyver
msg tools
mb
Hey Andi,

I also had the Base game and Forsaken Lore expansions sitting on my table one faithful day.... As mentioned above you can mix everything in, no problems at all. I really recommend it as it adds a lot more variety to everything, which I found to be a pleasant gaming experience.

I will note that Forsaken Lore does make the game harder, so if you find yourself losing a lot don't be discouraged. My first win came through on my 6th or 7th play!

With regards to breakdown, you will not need to separate out any cards from Forsaken Lore, they all stay in their respective decks. This expansions just expands the content for the base game and gives you an extra Ancient One.

I don't think your question is stupid, I had the very same question months ago! With regards to getting the game to the table, try to read one or two of the Strategy Guides, I found these useful:

https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1233643/your-trusted-circle...
https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1086903/things-i-wished-i-k...

Although at first it may seem like you are reading a walk-through to a boardgame, I have found that I enjoy Eldritch Horror a lot more once I understood the "objectives" Investigators had to achieve and how they could go about it. Try to have an idea of the role each investigator will full-fill and re-asses if your strategy should change each round.

Of course, if you are the type that wishes to discover all of this for yourself during multiple play-through then this would spoil a lot of that discovery process. I only mention it as you said you would like to convince your wife that this is something you can play more often.

I also suggest playing 2 Investigators each if you are 2 players. 4 Investigators for me is the Sweet-Spot. You should also read the Encounters to one another, pausing at tests, and not informing the other person of the consequences of Pass or Fail. It can really immerse you in the theme and make the game tense.

Good luck and Welcome to the Horror!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andi Kasper
Germany
Aachen
NRW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks a lot for the information. I assume it is the same with the other two small boxes, right? Just mix it in and leave it that way.

Really looking forward to getting it on the table

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Driss
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes pretty much everything from all expansions are mixed in. They mostly just add more variety. You will find yourself with some extra decks that are only used with certain Great Old One.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.