Harry Potter: Hogwarts Battle» Forums » Rules

Subject: Broomstick Rule Question (Game 1 & 2) rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Sean Mulder
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
I've come across three broomstick cards while playing through Game 1 & 2. They are -

Firebolt (Harry Starter Deck)
Cleansweep 11 (Ron Starter Deck)
Nimbus Two Thousand and One (Game 2 expansion for Hogwarts Deck)

In addition to the attack tokens each of these cards provide, each card also state "If you defeat a Villain, also gain 1 [influence]." (The Nimbus gives you 2 influence)

My question is, if a non-active hero, lets say Ron, has the Cleansweep 11 on the table and Harry (Active Hero) defeats a villain, does Ron gain the 1 influence from his cleansweep 11? Or does the "you" literally mean Ron can only benefit from this rule if he defeats a villain when he is the active player?

The group I was playing with debated this and decided that a hero would only benefit from this rule when that hero was the Active Hero. Does anyone see it differently?

WINGARDIUM LEVIOSA!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seth Goodnight
United States
Newmarket
NH
flag msg tools
mbmb
I think you played it correctly, but I suspect you may have misinterpreted how items are played. All cards work the same, you play them on your turn, gain the benefit, and then they go away. There's never a situation where the broom would be "on the table". You play it (on your turn), gain the attack, and if you defeat a villain you gain the influence.

Hope that helps.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Webster
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree with responder. Not sure how this debate would even come up. Items do not remain in play after your turn. In games 1 and 2 the only card that can be activated in your hand is Harry's cloak.

Once your turn is over all of your cards go into your discard pile
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moo Cow
msg tools
mb
Like the two above me mentioned, you're missing a crucial rule in this game. At not point during someone else's turn would you ever have cards on the table, in play.

You discard all of your cards at the end of your turn, and you cannot play cards during someone else's turn.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
@TheRustyMeeple
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You do have cards in front of you during others turns. See Step 4.6.

This is important because you can lose cards during another's turn. You'll want to choose Alohomora or other lower level cards. Additionally, if Harry has his cloak in his hand, he won't take more than 1 damage from any one source. This comes up when you can discard or take two damage often.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Webster
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
joelstout wrote:

This is important because you can lose cards during another's turn. You'll want to choose Alohomora or other lower level cards. Additionally, if Harry has his cloak in his hand, he won't take more than 1 damage from any one source. This comes up when you can discard or take two damage often.

If you were able to use the brooms like Harry's cloak then the broom cards would be worded like Harry's cloak card
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moo Cow
msg tools
mb
joelstout wrote:

Those cards aren't "in front of you", though. They're in your hand, unplayed. They shouldn't be sitting on the table, face-up as though you've played them. They should be in your hand, off the table.

At the beginning of your turn you play your cards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Krajewski
United States
Fitchburg
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Moo Cow wrote:
joelstout wrote:

Those cards aren't "in front of you", though. They're in your hand, unplayed. They shouldn't be sitting on the table, face-up as though you've played them. They should be in your hand, off the table.

The rules have all the cards face-up on the table below your player board, not in your hand. I don't see any reason why you couldn't play it with your cards in your hand, but that is not how the rules read.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moo Cow
msg tools
mb
mkrajew wrote:
Moo Cow wrote:
joelstout wrote:

The rules have all the cards face-up on the table below your player board, not in your hand. I don't see any reason why you couldn't play it with your cards in your hand, but that is not how the rules read.

Curious. Where in the rules are you reading this? In my rules you have a hand of cards and you play them on your turn to the table. Do you have a page where it specifies to take your cards and place them face up on the table after drawing them?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Krajewski
United States
Fitchburg
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Moo Cow wrote:
mkrajew wrote:
Moo Cow wrote:
joelstout wrote:

Curious. Where in the rules are you reading this? In my rules you have a hand of cards and you play them on your turn to the table. Do you have a page where it specifies to take your cards and place them face up on the table after drawing them?

Page 4: Step 6 - Shuffle and stack your Hero deck of 10 cards face down, then draw 5 cards.

The diagram shows the 5 cards laid out, face up, under the hero's board.

If they had intended them to be hidden in your hand, it would say that.

Page 8 then goes on to say when you play cards, you "set them aside to indicate they have been played". That says to me that they are already face-up and not just "played" from your hand. You move them from under the board to the side to indicate you've played them, then when you are done with your turn, they all go into the discard pile to the right of your player board.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moo Cow
msg tools
mb
mkrajew wrote:
Moo Cow wrote:
mkrajew wrote:
Moo Cow wrote:
joelstout wrote:

Page 4: Step 6 - Shuffle and stack your Hero deck of 10 cards face down, then draw 5 cards.

Page 8 then goes on to say when you play cards, you "set them aside to indicate they have been played". That says to me that they are already face-up and not just "played" from your hand. You move them from under the board to the side to indicate you've played them, then when you are done with your turn, they all go into the discard pile to the right of your player board.

Interesting. It doesn't say to keep them face up in front of you anywhere, but the wording on page 8 about playing cards to the side does seem to indicate that perhaps that's the case.

I think the instructions on this are poorly written/explained and I'd like to hear what a developer has to say.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seth Goodnight
United States
Newmarket
NH
flag msg tools
mbmb
mkrajew wrote:

The way I read that is that you don't put them directly into the discard pile, you put them aside so that you know what you played. That way when you play things that trigger off other events in your turn (like a broomstick or playing wingardium leviosa, or something like that) you can easily remember if you played the card this turn or not.

My guess is that holding cards in your hand is so universal in games that they just didn't think to specify that you had to.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Krajewski
United States
Fitchburg
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Darwins_Dog wrote:

My guess is that holding cards in your hand is so universal in games that they just didn't think to specify that you had to.

When a diagram shows people holding cards in their hand, they would be shown together and fanned out, like you hold them in your hand. They would not be shown as 5 individual cards spaced out neatly on the table, like it is in this illustration.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Cordeiro
United States
Cumberland
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think some responses are conflating "on the table" with "in play". Whether you hold those 5 cards in your hand or place them face up below your player board, they aren't in play. In fact, the instructions in the booklets and on the cards specifically mention the terms "play", "played", "in play", "unplayed", etc. This implies that the cards are not in play at the beginning of your turn, and you have to put them into play.

If you're looking for precedence, I don't know of any other deck builder where the cards you draw at the end of your turn are automatically in play.

Also, this game would be WAY too easy if the "in play" benefits of my cards triggered on everyone's turn.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
@TheRustyMeeple
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
As for the cards, I was just quoting the rule about having them in front of you. Again, when you are forced to discard on someone else's turn, you can choose the discard, when Harry gets two damages but has his cloak, he can forgive one heart but this does not apply everywhere.

To go back to the initial question - someone cannot get the Ron broomstick bonus for killing unless ~it is their turn and they defeated the villian~. At least that is how we played it, since the card specifies "You".

Hope this helps and clarifies things. Thanks for the discussion.

@TheRustyMeeple
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Fletcher
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Moo Cow wrote:
mkrajew wrote:
Moo Cow wrote:
mkrajew wrote:
Moo Cow wrote:
joelstout wrote:

Interesting. It doesn't say to keep them face up in front of you anywhere, but the wording on page 8 about playing cards to the side does seem to indicate that perhaps that's the case.

I think the instructions on this are poorly written/explained and I'd like to hear what a developer has to say.

Guy that worked on the game here; Mike is right, the cards are on the table. Each player’s cards are visible to all players at all times. The cooperative nature of the game makes hiding your cards fairly needless, and there are some effects like Harry’s cloak that work from your “hand” regardless of who’s turn it is.

Spoiler (click to reveal)
I’m looking at you, Fred and George.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Webster
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I am kind of disappointed with the answer. Holding the cards in your hand cuts down on alpha gamer in coop games. There have been times when I took 2 hearts of damage instead of getting rid of a card and didn't have to hear how other players thought it was a bad move while I thought it was good. They would just assume I didn't have the card.
But if it is suppose to be cards on the table it will be cards on the table.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J Emmett
Canada
Surrey
BC
flag msg tools
Win it or bin it
badge
Win it or bin it
mbmbmbmbmb
We don't have room on our coffee table to lay our cards, and I don't have the brainpower to think about two hands and two decks. So we'll keep holding our cards and discussing them openly, Pandemic-style.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.