6 Posts

Descent: Journeys in the Dark (Second Edition)» Forums » Rules

Subject: RtL - Monster actions rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Linio Shay
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So yeah, sorry I tried to search for the answers of those but didn't find any. We played yesterday and did the quest with the Crypt Dragon.

Came several questions.

1) Whenever a unique pops up (in our case the dragon, and there was the same question with the tutorial Ettin), is a group coming along with him or not? Because it is only specified to pop a master without considering group limits, and then when monsters are activated there is the "minions", and unique right after, so we were a little bewildered, we assumed there was just one big boss, not like a bunch of dragons waiting for us, so each time we popped only one monster, the unique, is it ok? If the group should pop up with only a red monster, how are we supposed to handle it (that's why we assume no normal monsters)?

2) We managed to burn said dragon. Since, there were no actions specified for him to get rid of status effect (and I assume no action anywere for any monster to do so), are those effects always active? Like the dragon would loose 1 health point each turned until death? The rules tend to assume so, but it seems bizarre, a little OP.

3) It is said "The dragon has two activations", but it's nowhere mentioned again. So we played the little fellow twice, but didn't know whether for example the burning status would affect him twice or not, and didn't know if we were supposed to do the action list twice, or do like 4 actions from a list (at some point it was : engage, attack, engage, attack, so we wondered whether the double action was embedded in the action list).

Thanks for your kind answers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seth Goodnight
United States
Newmarket
NH
flag msg tools
1) The game specifies whether you set up a single monster, a specific number of monsters (like 5 goblins), or the group. In both the dragon and ettin cases you mention it says one master ignoring group limits, so that means only 1 master. The ignoring group limits refers to 2 hero games where the group would normally be one minion). It will always have both minions and master in the activation, which is confusing, but I think it avoids problems in other situations.

2) From page 14 of the RtL rules:
Quote:
Burning: If a monster cannot perform any action in the current
activation and has at least 1 action remaining, it performs the special
action to discard “Burning” from itself or an adjacent monster. If a
monster has multiple monsters from which it can discard “Burning,” it
discards “Burning” from the monster with the least Health remaining.

There are plenty of situations where a monster can have an extra action (like it's already engaged), but also times where that will kill it. We had a similar situation with bleed.

3) Did you kill it really quickly? What happened when I fought it (if I'm thinking of the same mission) is that the activation went hero -> dragon -> hero -> other monster -> hero -> dragon -> hero.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
thiago k
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
1)The app is pretty clear when you need spawn a certain type or number of monsters ( spawn a master crypt dragon ignoring group limit). The confusion come because the app always give instructions for the minions and master monsters in a activation. In this case, spawn a unique master crypt dragon and ignore the minions activations as if they are dead.

2) for monsters with condictions, you can follow the appendix IV or the decision making rules from road to legend rules.

3) the app activate the dragon twice, just play as a normal round. Example, assuming only the heroes and the dragon are present - one hero activate, than the app activate the dragon (2 actions), another hero activate, than the app activate the dragon again and so on.

edit: Need some research in the burning condiction case. See below.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kallan Greybe
msg tools
The dragon's multiple activations are handled by the app, not the players. That means it doesn't get two sets of two actions each activation, rather it gets two actions, ends its activation and then later in the round after another hero has gone the dragon will activate again. Bleed and burning effects will, as far as I know, apply at each activation as each activation is considered a "turn".

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
thiago k
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
ThatGuyMontag wrote:
The dragon's multiple activations are handled by the app, not the players. That means it doesn't get two sets of two actions each activation, rather it gets two actions, ends its activation and then later in the round after another hero has gone the dragon will activate again. Bleed and burning effects will, as far as I know, apply at each activation as each activation is considered a "turn".

They differ:

Bleeding
For each other action you resolve while you have this card or token, suffer 1 Fatigue

Burning
At the end of your turn, you and each friendly figure adjacent to you suffers 1 Hearth.

Turn - when you can expend all yours actions (2 ore more in some cases).

Exemple: Grey Ker hero ability and heroic feat

ability
After you have performed your first action each round, you may choose to suspend your turn. If you do, resume your turn after another hero finishes his turn this round.

feat
Use at the start of your turn to receive 1 additional action this turn.

Don't known if you can interpret activation = turn in the dragons case.

Assuming as the app take the role from the Overlord, from the core rules:

Overlord Turn Summary
During each overlord turn, the overlord player performs the following
steps in order.

1. Start of Turn: During this step, any effects affecting the overlord that
last “until the start of your next turn” end. Then, the overlord player
draws one Overlord card, and he may play any number of Overlord
cards that specifically state they may be played “at the start of your
turn.” Then the overlord player refreshes his exhausted cards (see
“Exhausting and Refreshing Cards” on page 8).

2. Activate Monsters: The overlord activates each of his monster
groups, one at a time, in any order he chooses. Monsters are grouped
together by type, and a monster group can contain both minion and
master monsters (see “Monsters” on page 16).

3. End of Round: Each hero flips his Activation card faceup. The next
game round then begins, starting with a hero player’s turn.

Burning take effect after the end of the figure turn.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Linio Shay
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow, great, thanks for all your kind answers, weird, it didn't felt like he activated that much, but Oh well...

I'll reread toroughly the rules, i have to print them to have them at the ready.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.