Hide
5 Posts

Stellar Armada» Forums » Variants

Subject: Stellar Armada goes FTL rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
A T
msg tools
Here is an idea I had for turning Stellar Armada into a challenging single player experience:

Begin the game by placing lock markers on level 2 of missiles, masers, engine, and repair, on level 3 of shields, on level 4 of the reactor, and on 6 of ammo of your ship.

The locks limit your maximum system level. You can move a lock to the next level by spending a scrap marker. If a system is fully unlocked, the lock marker is removed from the game.

You begin the game with zero scraps. Scraps are earned by winning encounters. After combat, scraps can also be used to repair the reactor. All other systems are repaired automatically.

Move to next field on the game map and draw a card from the encounter stack indicated by the field you are on.

On blue fields, you visit a friendly space station that repairs your reactor for half the price and trades missiles against scrap, and vice versa.

There are three stacks of encounter card: green/1 star, orange/2 stars, and red/3 stars.
Encounter cards look like this:

If the encounter is a combat, use lock markers to limit the levels on the enemy ship as indicated on the card.
In combat, you can spend 1 action point to attempt an escape. Roll a die and add the number of your activated engines minus the enemy engine level. You need a 6 or more to escape.

Get to the end of the game and you are the winner :-D

If you like this, reply with ideas for encounter cards!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Red L
msg tools
I really like this idea. Question on rules: is everything but your reactor repaired between encounters?

I haven't had a chance to play Stellar Armada, so I don't have good suggestions of mechanics for encounters, but thematically, running into a salvager ship that at random either sells you missiles for cheap (as long as you don't ask where they came from) or engages you in a battle where you can run away by ejecting all of your ammo or something.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A T
msg tools
I clarified the rules: yes, all systems are repaired after combat. Although it might be tempting to throw in an extra rule that if the repair system is destroyed entirely, you'd first have to spend a scrap to get repairs.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
HANJEL T
Spain
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't have new ideas. I write to know more about this version of the game. whistle

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Louis Johnson
United States
California
flag msg tools

Here's another ship close to a Federation Shuttle ...

It would have the 5 shields, 2 Missiles, 2 Mazers, 3 Engines, 2 Repair, 2 Replicators, and 6 Reactors - the replicators and reactors are flexible either working as repair, replicating missiles or reactor parts, or transporting a Missile to another ships magazine. ( like the opposite
corner player as you both have the same enemy's!

So the ship would have limited Missile ammo say 4 or 6 to start. The replicators work like repair as long as you divert energy to one it can repair a system (even reactors) or fabricate a Missile reload. So the player of that ship needs to choose to fight repair or rearm with the energy left to them.

Here's the trident ship info again.

Trident ship -

5 Shields, 3 Missiles, 3 Repair, 3 Mazers, 3 Engines, and 6 reactors.

The systems are stacked in 3 columns under the shields around the reactors so if you destroy one side there are still 2 remaining sets of systems that can function.

The Ship can launch 3 missiles in a turn with the proper energy allocation, but those missiles only do 4 damage when they hit.

Also this ship can use the Mazers as missile point defense for inbound attacks. One for each working Mazer - BUT - if the pilot elects to do so he has to hit the missile as a full speed ship (5 or 6) AND they commit one reactor power from the NEXT TURN!

Just adding 2 new ships as 4 expansion cards would make the game fresh and keep costs down to the magic $1 cost point. no new things need be added. Just new cards with the new rules printed on the back.

Louis

:^)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.