Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Sid Rain
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
In working on a sacrilegious variant for a simplified, "dumbed-down" version of Kingdom Death, I'm curious what all everyone considers to be the essential Gear from each Settlement Location?

In this simplified version, the goal is to whittle an entire campaign down into a roughly 2-3 hour experience or less (about 1-7 min per Lantern Year). I'm truncating the Hunt/Showdown phases into quick dice rolls with limited choices of Gear for the Hunting party as a whole. Gear still affects your chances for survival, but it doesn't take up as much of the game. Essentially the Settlement phase becomes the biggest part of the game. So I'm wanting to bring the amount of craftable Gear down to about 4 items max per location. Most Weapons and Armor sets are being condensed into general items: White Lion Armor, White Lion Weapons, Rawhide Armor, Lantern Armor, Lantern Weapons, etc. Some exceptions are being made for notable Gear, but that's the gist.

Not working on the expansions just yet until I can actually get a workable version of the Core Game working, but here's the Settlement Locations I'm working on:

• Bone Smith
• Skinnery
• Organ Grinder (I only just caught the connection that Intimacy is initiated at the Organ Grinder, brilliant Double entendre)
• Weapon Crafter
• Leather Worker
• Stone Circle
• Barber Surgeon
• Blacksmith
• Catarium
• Plumery
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Wirtz
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Interesting idea! If you're counting the set as one item, that's a fair bit of flexibility. I'd say these are the big ones (some choices made for broader weapon options at different tiers and not because I take them particularly often):

Bone smith: darts; axe or sword; harvesting tools
Skinnery: set; bandages; whip, I guess?
Organ Grinder: luck; grease; monster tooth
Weapon Crater: sword; axe; skull hammer; dagger (I guess?)
leather: set; shield; whip, I guess?
Stone circle: set; katars; bone earrings; blood paint
barber surgeon: gear grabber; elder earrings?...don't often get one
blacksmith: beacon shield; scrap shield; guess a sword and poleaxe if I needed to choose, not the armor set
catarium: set; bow; spear; cat eye
plumery: set; shield; IDK, maybe steal the WC's katana?

There's a fair bit of nuance in gear, so, with a highly truncated showdown, a lot of those choices seem like they'd be pretty hard to represent in shorthand, but interested to see what you come up with.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan Bryan
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
One thing I always found essential from Weapon Crafter was the Zambato. Combined with Cats eye it is almost 2 guaranteed damage every round.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.