Subject: Most new user friendly starting decks rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
John Zuber Jr
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Just starting to play Ashes, and wanted to know which decks of the six core and first two expansions are the most new user friendly. Listening to some of the starter deck reviews on Team Covenant's YouTube channel, as well as reading at different places—including here, it was suggested that Jessa and Saria would not be best. That said, which decks would allow my son and I to get started and grasp the game the quickest?

Also, I have seen on third party websites that the Leo and Victoria reprint decks are scheduled for October, but does anyone have any insight into whether that is truly the case?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Rohrer
United States
Warsaw
Indiana
flag msg tools
visit my blog at http://www.alittlelatetothetable.blogspot.com/
badge
“The way a man plays a game shows some of his character. The way he loses shows all of it."
mbmbmbmbmb
i agree, saria and jessa would be tough to start with. the coal deck is pretty easy to grasp as well as the aradel deck. the maeoni deck isn't too bad to pick up either. the noah deck is easy-ish to grasp but it is the worst pre-con deck as it is pretty weak. i'd probably suggest people go with either coal vs. aradel or maeoni vs. aradel. the newer decks i'd wait on as well till you grasp the basics of the game. good luck and hope it helps!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jared Ridinger
United States
Philadelphia
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll second Aaron on this, either Coal vs Aradel or Maeoni vs Aradel. I lean more towards the latter, its usually the match up I use for demos but either would be a good choice.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Zuber Jr
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Thanks, guys! Those three decks were the way I was leaning, so nice to know I was on the right path.

Still, I have heard nothing positive about the Iron Rhino, so, if I play Coal with the son, should I just run the pre-con with the Summon Iron Rhino Ready spell or would it make sense to substitute something from another deck than Aradel or Maeoni?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Pittman
msg tools
mbmbmb
Summon Iron Rhino is an excellent card to discard to Coal's Phoenixborn ability, Slash. That's about it.

In saying that, Coal works best when he is Slashing occasionally if not frequently, so there's no huge need to replace it in the deck ... just don't bother trying to play it and actually summon a Rhino unless you're really just goofing around (it can be a fun-ish win-more card).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Zuber Jr
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Makes sense on the Summon Iron Rhino. Thanks for the tip!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Rubinstein

Long Beach
California
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just DON'T do Aradel vs Noah. That's the most one sided matchup there is.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Hewlett
msg tools
mbmb
DreadFool wrote:
Summon Iron Rhino is an excellent card to discard to Coal's Phoenixborn ability, Slash. That's about it.

In saying that, Coal works best when he is Slashing occasionally if not frequently, so there's no huge need to replace it in the deck ... just don't bother trying to play it and actually summon a Rhino unless you're really just goofing around (it can be a fun-ish win-more card).

What I like about the pre-con decks is it can force you to use cards that might not be your first choice in a constructed matchup. I only really use this card in pre-con vs pre-con matchups where the decks are not so optimised.

Rhino's are not an early game card. You might play the summon spells down if you can spare the mana, but I tend to hold off until the third round or so before summoning one. If you can wait until the late game when you have the spell focused before dropping a Rhino - they are great at closing the game out.

The big problem with a Rhino is it burns a lot of dice. That means you end up sitting around with a lot of cards in hand that you cannot use. Luckily for us, Old Man Muscles has an ability which turns those cards into damage.

So late game, maybe around the time you find yourself running out of allies on your battlefield, you can start dropping 4-5 dice rhinos onto the field and wrecking shop. Remember that in pre-con, no deck has a glut of removal options so these guys can really put the pressure on.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Pittman
msg tools
mbmbmb
albino_penguin wrote:
DreadFool wrote:

What I like about the pre-con decks is it can force you to use cards that might not be your first choice in a constructed matchup. I only really use this card in pre-con vs pre-con matchups where the decks are not so optimised.

Rhino's are not an early game card. You might play the summon spells down if you can spare the mana, but I tend to hold off until the third round or so before summoning one. If you can wait until the late game when you have the spell focused before dropping a Rhino - they are great at closing the game out.

The big problem with a Rhino is it burns a lot of dice. That means you end up sitting around with a lot of cards in hand that you cannot use. Luckily for us, Old Man Muscles has an ability which turns those cards into damage.

So late game, maybe around the time you find yourself running out of allies on your battlefield, you can start dropping 4-5 dice rhinos onto the field and wrecking shop. Remember that in pre-con, no deck has a glut of removal options so these guys can really put the pressure on.

Agreed. However, I've found Rhinos to only be effective (even in the mid to late game) if Coal is essentially already winning. Chump blocking is too easy, so they only do work if you have taken firm control over your opponent's battlefield.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Zuber Jr
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I appreciate all of the input, guys! I am stoked to have the time and play some.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.