Mechs vs. Minions» Forums » General

Subject: To the people who bought MvM, are you going to try LoL out? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Daen Dubrulle
Belgium
Limburg
flag msg tools
I was just being curious whether people who haven't played LoL (yet) are tempted to try it out.

Why or why not?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Mathias
United States
Hendersonville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Dubbie wrote:
I was just being curious whether people who haven't played LoL (yet) are tempted to try it out.

Why or why not?

No, I'm a console gamer, so I don't usually play PC games. Also I don't have a lot of interest in MOBAs in general.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Brown
United States
Colorado Springs
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
No, online multiplayer video games are what drove me to cardboard. I've yet to have a face-to-face game with a racist teenager calling me names, threatening me with sexual assault and questioning my mother's honor...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Antoine Bedard
Canada
Quebec
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmb
Tried it in the past but switched my MOBA playing interest to Heroes of the storm. :-) But still bought M vs M - look such a fantastic game to play with my twin 10 yo who love MOBAs.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Baker Odom
United States
Bluffton
South Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I was never into multiplayer video games unless it was with people I personally knew. The current exception is Hearthstone but on that the interaction beyond the game itself is incredibly limited.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Hostetler
United States
Warminster
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
MAJBrown22 wrote:
No, online multiplayer video games are what drove me to cardboard. I've yet to have a face-to-face game with a racist teenager calling me names, threatening me with sexual assault and questioning my mother's honor...

This. It looks like fun and if it was single player, or if I had a group of IRL friends to play it with I'd probably try it out. But I can't stand playing with strangers for the above reasons.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Sicher
United States
Slatington
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
No, I get my fill of toxic online communities with Overwatch.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Allen Cordell
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
No. I don't really play videos games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Palmer
Canada
Ayr
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I tried it out, and might play it more occasionally. I first played a couple single player games (it is possible to just fill all the other players up with bots.) Then I played a few intro level co-operative games.

It's pretty fun, but it would be a lot more fun to play with people I know. Also, in my second game, playing on the easiest mode designed for brand new players, I had someone yelling at me for being in the wrong "lane". I can't say whether this would be a common experience or not, as it only happened once to me.

In the end though, the 2 games are not really similar at all. and also, you can play as the Yordle characters, but none of them are intro characters, so you'll have to either spend money or a lot of time to be able to buy one of them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
oystein eker
Norway
Unspecified
sola
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
No.
Heavy flight simulations with 200 pages manuals for me on PC.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daen Dubrulle
Belgium
Limburg
flag msg tools
MAJBrown22 wrote:

Wow, seems like you have had some bad encounters with multiplayer games :s

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
WD Yoga
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
No.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
N. P. P.
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
No, I can't see myself doing that.
While my libraries on steam and gog keep growing, I rarely sit down to play a computer game these days, and when I do it only takes a short time until I start thinking that I should do something else instead.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian C
United States
Lansing
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Dubbie wrote:
MAJBrown22 wrote:

I think some people just going hard for the thumbs. Because any troll "questioning my mother's honor" would simply get laughed at.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darren
Canada
Calgary
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
My wife and myself played it for 3 years back in 2009 when it was first released. Back then we used Windows computers so it wasn't an issue. When we converted to Linux Ubuntu (and then eventually to Linux Mint), our LOL games ended as Riot has never created a Linux client for it.

As for the toxicity - you will get that in any MOBA game. The best way to remove it is to find 9 other friends and play together against each other. We used to have a MOBO game night once a year where all of us got together and played for hours against each other. Great fun.

As for today, I would give it a try every so often if they supported Linux. That is never going to happen so I just enjoy watching the online streams of the professional tournaments. It's quite enjoyable watching the experts play this game and the sports casting for it is just as good as watching professional sports. Watching the professionals take these characters and do the things they do against each other is incredibly exciting and gives the exact feelings you get watching your favourite sports team play. My wife would sit down without hesitation and watch a tournament as she really enjoys it as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Meeple Up
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
No. I tried it in the past (a couple of years ago) and I just am not very good at getting the last hit to kill.

To be brutally honest though, the attitude of the players turns me off. I am not on that same level of play and I don't enjoy being yelled at for being new and trying to learn and improve. Just not my cup of tea.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Brown
United States
Colorado Springs
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Exo Desta wrote:
Dubbie wrote:
MAJBrown22 wrote:

I think some people just going hard for the thumbs. Because any troll "questioning my mother's honor" would simply get laughed at.

Not going for thumbs, just relaying my experience with online gaming communities. Yes, you can laugh it off for a while, but it gets old. What is wrong with people who do this? And why would I choose to spend my time with them?

True, most the folks don't do it, but the few that do ruin the experience. If someone were to try those shenanigans over a board game, that person would be no longer welcome. However, I suspect that a VAST majority of the folks that do this are huge cowards and would never say it without the protection of anonymity.

Last, this isn't unique to LoL, it's ubiquitous among all online gaming communities.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Meeple Up
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
MAJBrown22 wrote:
Exo Desta wrote:
Dubbie wrote:
MAJBrown22 wrote:

Not going for thumbs, just relaying my experience with online gaming communities. Yes, you can laugh it off for a while, but it gets old. What is wrong with people who do this? And why would I choose to spend my time with them?

True, most the folks don't do it, but the few that do ruin the experience. If someone were to try those shenanigans over a board game, that person would be no longer welcome. However, I suspect that a VAST majority of the folks that do this are huge cowards and would never say it without the protection of anonymity.

Last, this isn't unique to LoL, it's ubiquitous among all online gaming communities.

Agreed.

Trash talking your competitors in a friendly nature is one thing. (like brothers or Tom Vasel and his crew.)

--

Trashy talking and being a jerk is another thing and should have no place anywhere.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Terence Lee
United States
Arcadia
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I downloaded it just to check it out by the probably won't play it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian C
United States
Lansing
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
MeepleUp wrote:
Agreed.

Trash talking your competitors in a friendly nature is one thing. (like brothers or Tom Vasel and his crew.)

--

Trashy talking and being a jerk is another thing and should have no place anywhere.

I agree, too. In fact when I play League now (only occasionally, and only ARAM) I will build the other team up if they are getting destroyed. "Meh we have superior comp." -- "Eh, don't stress, I suck at that champ too."

I was just commenting on how some of us like to post early in a thread with the hopes of grabbing up lots of thumbs. Gets old, but I suppose it's just human nature.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mr Suitcase
Canada
Burlington
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I tried DOTA2 and the HOTS. Both were not my style of game. I will give this a whirl, but doubt it will stick.

I'm getting into more turn-based play these days. Or at least less twitch-centric. I suppose that is the result of middle-age. I used to be a champ at medal of honour, CoD, and games as old as Unreal Tournament. Nowadays though, in SC2 or any FPS, I just get my butt handed to me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Omaha
Nebraska
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Only play the "fun" modes and ARAM. Don't enjoy spending 45 min of a slow buildup trying to get a last hit on minions to get to the fun 15 min of team battles. I agree though pretty toxic community just like on all online games. Not too bad to burn some free time just avoid the meta and elitists and it can be fun.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
steven smolders
Belgium
Heist-op-den-Berg
Antwerpen
flag msg tools
Love to play boardgames with my family and spending time toghter
mbmbmbmbmb
i have played 4005 games of Lol in the past before i started with boardgames. Sometimes i still play it if my wife and daughter aren't home but not as intence as i use to.

About the flaming and verbal abuse i just mute those guy's so they don't bother me.

The boardgame besides the minions and the characters has nothing to do with Lol gameplay anyway so you don't need to play Lol to understand or enjoy the boardgame.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Cantrell
United States
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
For whatever it's worth, I'm meeting more and more people who don't play but watch it as a sport. Right now, our World Finals is going on and I think the production value is pretty legit. Not saying whatching other people play video games is your thing, but I've often heard it's best to get into a sport during playoffs.

League Finals has consistently had more viewership than NBA or NHL Finals. It might all sound like gobbledee-gook at first, but eventually it starts to make sense.

lolesports.com

Today, there's an exciting match between this Russian underdog team, Albus Rox Luna, and a European power house H2K. Next weekend the semi's are at Madison Square Garden and the finals are the following weekend at The Staples Center.

Anyways, you don't need to do any of that to enjoy MvM, but I know many people who don't enjoy playing mobas but enjoy watching it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephan Rothschuh
Germany
Munich
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Nope. No time and not my style of game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.