Subject: How many buildings can you buy in one round? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Vijayakrishna Ranganathan
Singapore
Singapore
Singapore
flag msg tools
Suppose I have placed my two meeples in two different locations. During the buy buildings phase, can I buy two buildings - one each for the meeples? I've played only once and played this way. Not clear if this is okay. The rulebook says one building, buy its not clear if it's one per player or one per meeple.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike DePasquale
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
One building per round and you can only buy from location mats that you have meeples on. The only way to buy a second is to go to the "Additional Building" action space at the Sheriffs office.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Singapore
Singapore
Singapore
flag msg tools
indianajo883 wrote:
One building per round and you can only buy from location mats that you have meeples on. The only way to buy a second is to go to the "Additional Building" action space at the Sheriffs office.

Thanks. So that's one building per player, right? And NOT one building per meeple of a player? So, ifi don't use the 'additional building' option at the sherriff's place, the maximum number of buildings that I will have at the end of the game is only SIX, correct?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Saibo Ter
msg tools
Hello
mbmbmbmbmb
If the "Central Bank" and/or the "Auction House" are on porch slots and you have all three meeples available you could in theory buy up to 4 buildings in a round.

Two buildings in phase 2 (via the porch slots) and two buildings in phase 4 (normal buy and leftover buy) or three buildings in phase 2 (via the porch slots) and one building in phase 4.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Singapore
Singapore
Singapore
flag msg tools
I'm sorry. I'm still not clear. WITHOUT any special abilities or locations or card features, all other things being equal, am I allowed to buy only one building per player OR one building per meeple?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Saibo Ter
msg tools
Hello
mbmbmbmbmb
In phase 4 each player has the option of buying one Building card.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Singapore
Singapore
Singapore
flag msg tools
Saiboter wrote:
In phase 4 each player has the option of buying one Building card.

Nailed it. Thanks!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry Miller
United States
Saint Charles
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Perhaps a lot of the above confusion could be dealt with by actually quoting the rulebook?

From the "Phase Four - Buy" rules on page 14:
Quote:
...each player has the option of buying one Building Card at a location where they have at least one Posse Token.

(bold font is from the rulebook)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
United States
Texas / Tennessee
flag msg tools
When you gain this card from the deck, gain 2 Clues. ;)
mbmbmbmbmb
bgm1961 wrote:
Perhaps a lot of the above confusion could be dealt with by actually quoting the rulebook?

Quote:
...each player has the option of buying one Building Card at a location where they have at least one Posse Token.

I can see where the confusion is. If I have at least one Posse Token on two locations, that rule quote could be interpreted to mean that I can buy one building for each location. (Because I am still buying only one building at the location where I have a Posse Token. I'm just applying that rule twice.)

The rules would be clearer to me if it stated "each player has the option of buying a Building Card from one of the locations where they have at least one Posse Token."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Singapore
Singapore
Singapore
flag msg tools
arkhamnative wrote:
bgm1961 wrote:

Quote:

I can see where the confusion is. If I have at least one Posse Token on two locations, that rule quote could be interpreted to mean that I can buy one building for each location. (Because I am still buying only one building at the location where I have a Posse Token. I'm just applying that rule twice.)

The rules would be clearer to me if it stated "each player has the option of buying a Building Card from one of the locations where they have at least one Posse Token."

Exactly this was the reason for my confusion. So are we sure that it's one per player or is it one per posse? Can the designers clarify?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Almes
United States
Pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
You may buy one building. It's not one per posse.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Singapore
Singapore
Singapore
flag msg tools
scottbalmes wrote:

Thanks for the response, Scott. Much appreciated. Awesome game, by the way!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
'Panda ThatsMe
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
scottbalmes wrote:

Oh wow, that really makes a difference in how we were playing it. The xtra building buy at the Sheriff's office now makes a lot more sense as well. Thanks for the clarification!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Urban
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
scottbalmes wrote:

Even if you are occupying the Sheriff 'Buy' slot? We had some disagreement over this in our last game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Almes
United States
Pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Ostadan wrote:
scottbalmes wrote:

Even if you are occupying the Sheriff 'Buy' slot? We had some disagreement over this in our last game.

The Sheriff spot lets you buy a second building after everyone had a chance to buy one.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry Miller
United States
Saint Charles
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Ostadan wrote:
scottbalmes wrote:

Scott was answering the OP's question about the normal Phase Four "Buy a Building" step. The later Sheriff's Office "Buy a Leftover Building" step was not addressed by Scott's answer, so it remains intact.

Bottom Line: Everyone, is allowed to buy only one building during Phase Four (where they have a Posse). And then, whoever placed a Posse on the Sheriff's space, can buy any of the leftover buildings.

Edit: Whoops.... looks like I was ninja'd ninja by Scott himself. I'll keep this post here incase my "Bottom Line" helps to wrap everything up.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rodney Cockrell
United States
Corona
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I just wanted to jump in and say that theoretically you could buy 4 buildings in one turn. This would require the following conditions:

1. You have 3 meeples to play.
2. You place one on the Sheriff spot to buy a 2nd building.
3. The Central Bank is available at a porch location and you place a meeple there.
4. The Auction House is also available as a porch location for your third meeple.
5. You have a LOT of influence.

Best of luck! Let me know if you unlock this achievement!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad103
United States
Skaneateles
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Rodzilla68 wrote:
I just wanted to jump in and say that theoretically you could buy 4 buildings in one turn. This would require the following conditions:

1. You have 3 meeples to play.
2. You place one on the Sheriff spot to buy a 2nd building.
3. The Central Bank is available at a porch location and you place a meeple there.
4. The Auction House is also available as a porch location for your third meeple.
5. You have a LOT of influence.

Best of luck! Let me know if you unlock this achievement!

I was going to mention this too, but Saiboter posted it above already. Still, it's good to point out.

In my last game, on the last round, my opponent went to the Central Bank and bought an extra building. To have a chance at winning I needed to do that as well, so I dueled her and won easily. She didn't even put up a fight! ...because she had a third meeple I forgot about. She dueled me again (and got +2 to duel as the Outlaw), and got to use the building a second time, and got the Wanted Card. Ya...she won. Not my best game

TLDR: Through dueling mechanics you can use the central bank or auction house twice in one turn and get your 4 buys that way as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rodney Cockrell
United States
Corona
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Gah! I should have read the whole thread. Fun stuff. I played a 4-player game last night and was the only one to have a 3rd meeple on the last turn of the game which I used to get in a duel with a guy who had already revealed his card. I was able to win the duel and one of my other meeples was on the buy a second building slot and that combo helped me win 25-22-15-8.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Stewart
United Kingdom
Newcastle-upon-Tyne
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So, in principle, you could buy 6 buildings in one round:

Playing as Entertainer, Central Bank and Auction House in play, 3rd Posse available:

Place your first Posse at one of Central Bank or Auction House. Before your next turn, lose a Duel there and pay to move your defeated Posse to the other one. Lose a Duel there before placing your 3rd Posse to move your twice defeated Posse to the Buy Leftover space. 2nd and 3rd Posse win duels on Central Bank and Auction House.

That's 4 buildings purchased during Posse Placement at the low cost of 6 resources plus the cost of the buildings and then potential for 2 purchases in the Buy Phase.

If you happen to get all 6 3-resource buildings, you can do it without needing any income from your Porch - you spend 18 resources buying the buildings during Posse Placement, win 6 resources with your poker hands in Resolution, and then spend those 6 on the remaining buildings.

Of course, the odds are definitely not in your favour on this one - you'd pretty much need other players to be co-operating (as well as the deck working in your favour) and for the dice to roll out right.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry Miller
United States
Saint Charles
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Technically, that is possible. But then so is getting struck by lightning twice in the same spot. Regardless, I'm impressed with the "figurin'" it took to arrive at that scenario!

The only part of your post that you got wrong is that you misspelled favor.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Timothy Young
United Kingdom
Keighley
West Yorkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Do the rules allow the replacement of buildings inside the game 'wheel' if purchased during a turn? Could you potentially run out of buildings if someone manages this?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.