9 Posts

Star Trek: Attack Wing» Forums » Rules

Subject: Improved hull resource with Improved Deflector Screens rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
M Y
msg tools
Hi

Quick question, if you have a 3 hull ship with improved deflector screens, and then pick improved hull as a resource, does anything happen or is it all fine as the improved hull bonus applies at the start of the game, rather than when purchasing upgrades?

Cheers

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Montgomery
United States
Modesto
California
flag msg tools
badge
The Shipyard - Star Trek Attack Wing spoilers and reviews
mbmbmbmbmb
Improved Deflector would immediately be discarded because it is attached to a ship with hull 4+. If an upgrade doesn't fit the build requirements it is discarded. That's a ruling from Quark and/or the Vulcan combat vessel variant.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Redfearn
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Re:
Does "considered to be +1" actually assign an extra hull point like Flagship does? I'm not so sure it does.

**I dont think its the intention of the resource to hand out extra hull points, but rather say the hull you do have can take an extra hit.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Montgomery
United States
Modesto
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think it does. The specific text on Improved Hull says "The Hull Value of each ship with a Mission Token on its Ship Card is considered to be +1."

That is boosting the stat value of hull. Combat Vessel Variant uses the exact same wording - "Your Primary Weapon and Hull values are each at +1."

Those cards change the fundamental values of the ships they are attached to.
So I actually do think the intent of this resource was to increase your hull value. Otherwise they would have worded it differently.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Redfearn
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Re:
But they are using different wording. "Considered to be +1" is not the same as "your hull value is +1".

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Montgomery
United States
Modesto
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
They're both increasing the stat by 1.

If I consider my hull to be +1, then it is 1 more than what is printed. By increasing the hull, it nullifies IDS.
If it wanted to cancel a hit, it could have been worded like Parametalic Hull Plating, but it's not. This actually increases the hull value.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Evan
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, I don't often agree with David, but "considered to be +1" definitionally seems like it has to be the same as "your hull value is +1." If there are effects that treat it differently, then you're not really considering it to be +1.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Redfearn
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Re:
Maybe I'm over thinking it, but this is why I wish they would use a uniform or standardized language for their card effects. At first I thought it was a strait out +1, but then re-read the resource and thought, well its only considered to be +1 its not actually a +1.
So we're going to think of this hull example like a 4 but its actually a 3, which is just fuckity for a game mechanic because which value do we end up using?
It would have been better to just say "If you have a mission token, your ship gets +1 hull", but they didn't which leads me to think theres something else going on with the effect.
But, barring a WORF ruling its probably better to go with the flat +1 value increase.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will Holsclaw
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This may be cold comfort, but you can still use IDS while assigning Improved Hull to your fleet. You can simply choose not to put a mission token on that ship and leave its Hull Value at 3 while getting the bonus on the rest of your fleet. Obviously not ideal (you still have to pay for each ship in the resource cost), but technically possible.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.