Popular Tags: [View All]
Brian Bankler
United States
San Antonio
Texas
flag msg tools
"Keep Summer Safe!"
mbmbmbmbmb
Specifically, I was singing through a good chunk of Sting's Dream of the Blue Turtles. It's amazing how much of that I remember (I think I have most of the lyrics for Moon over Bourbon Street and Fortress around your heart, I can hear the instrumental DotBT play, and snippets from other songs).

Talking with another gamer he recollected hearing a song he hadn't known he knew, but that he heard as a child.

I know that this is just caused by repetition(I had DotBT on cassette in the 80s, and most have listened to it dozens of times), but it's still somewhat amazing -- "hearing" a song I haven't heard played in decades.

So, I guess its a non-current, current-earworm.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geeky McGeekface
United States
Manassas
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
Clemson shocks Alabama in a classic title game to claim the championship of college football!
mbmbmbmbmb
This happens to me all the time with older popular songs. I'm particularly susceptible to TV theme songs from my youth. In many cases, I haven't heard them for 40 or 50 years, but I can still recall them clear as a bell. The brain is a very strange organ.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Norris
United States
Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
...and J-Pop too!!!!
badge
Raina rocks!!!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
Last night I listened to Alice in Chain's Dirt cd. Its been about 20 years for me, and I sang right along.

Now, what I ate for breakfast yesterday....gone....
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Andersen
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My computer plays the '60's. My Echo plays the '60's. My Sirius plays the '60's. My iPod plays the '60's.

I'm constantly reliving my childhood.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
¡dn ʇǝƃ ʇ,uɐɔ ı puɐ uǝllɐɟ ǝʌ,ı
Canada
Chestermere
Alberta
flag msg tools
There are 10 kinds of people who understand binary: Those who do, and those who don't.
mbmbmbmbmb
I have the lyrics of most songs that I own memorized. Several thousand of them.
Amazing to me is that when one song ends, I usually know what song comes directly after it on the album.

I heard "Ballroom Blitz" on the radio the other day and, when it ended, I was disappointed that "The 6- teens" didn't come on afterward.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mindy G
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
Mold the chaos into something beautiful
mbmbmb
MABBY wrote:

Amazing to me is that when one song ends, I usually know what song comes directly after it on the album.

I wonder if that is more prevalent with those of us who grew up with tapes and LPs versus CDs where Shuffle buttons would have killed getting the proper order drilled into your brain.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wendell
United States
Yellow Springs
Ohio
flag msg tools
All the little chicks with crimson lips, go...
badge
Hey, get your stinking cursor off my face! I got nukes, you know.
mbmbmbmbmb
oriecat wrote:
MABBY wrote:

I wonder if that is more prevalent with those of us who grew up with tapes and LPs versus CDs where Shuffle buttons would have killed getting the proper order drilled into your brain.

Good point. I am always cued up for the next song on the album. Or even the next unrelated song on some mix tape I made 25 years ago and threw away 15 years ago...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Salamone
United States
Billerica
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
Aggravating people worldwide since 1964
mbmbmbmbmb
Occasionally, I hear a song and I remember the point within the song where the 8-Track tape switched to the next track.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
TonyKR
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
I ended up in one of those rent-a-room karaoke places last night and experienced the same thing. There were quite a few songs that started sounding a little familiar (ie, they began ringing a bell from way back when) just as they were ending.

Definitely weird how the brain works with sounds and smells and whatevers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob
United States
30° 12′ 38″ N, 95° 45′ 2″ W
flag msg tools
You can't rob Peter, Paul and Mary to pay yourself.
mbmbmbmbmb
A couple days ago I heard the full version of Michael Martin Murphey's "Wildfire" - which includes the piano intro and outro. Those parts are usually edited out for radio. I had forgotten how beautiful they were.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Heidenreich
United States
Milwaukee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
MilwaukeeTEG
badge
mbmb
MABBY wrote:
I have the lyrics of most songs that I own memorized. Several thousand of them.

I heard "Ballroom Blitz" on the radio the other day and, when it ended, I was disappointed that "The 6- teens" didn't come on afterward.

Now the 6-Teens is in my head.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Heidenreich
United States
Milwaukee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
MilwaukeeTEG
badge
mbmb
joe_salamone wrote:
Occasionally, I hear a song and I remember the point within the song where the 8-Track tape switched to the next track.

Funny!

We were just talking about that. We were talking about 8-tracks (friend and I) and I told him my uncle had an 8-track player that recorded on blank 8-tracks. I had made one that had Boston - Don't Look Back on it.

This one would switch over, but in my little portable 8-track player, it would just start at the beginning of the channel again.

Anyways...it would cut off right before the money shot in that song. Bah, dun dun bah dun dun bah dun dun dun dun WHOOOM, into the solo. Except it would stop right before the WHOOOM.

Wait, this is 2016. Below is the song. Go to the 3min mark, listen to about 3:25

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chapel
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
"32 inches of Plexi....for your pleasure"
mbmbmbmbmb
I "only" remember songs from 25 years ago.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chapel
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
"32 inches of Plexi....for your pleasure"
mbmbmbmbmb
joe_salamone wrote:

Every time I hear a song on the Radio from say an album like Rumours, I always have the next song cued up in my head when it finishes...."Loving you, isn't the right...thing...to do..."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Prewitt
United States
Granada Hills
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
It's odd how this works. I've only been alive for 25 years but even songs I haven't heard for ~5 years I can remember every lyric and the guitar solo notes in my head when I hear them again.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Australia
flag msg tools
The worst is I have songs from 20 years ago in my head that I don't know what they are. Largely from mix tapes I think, or songs off the radio I taped. Occasionally I'll hear something that I know is close in sound and go down a youtube wormhole looking for it.

Thought I had nailed one the other day when I heard a sound on a podcast, went through the band's entire back catalogue that was on youtube..... nada.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benj Davis
Australia
Summer Hill
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
casualcasual wrote:
The worst is I have songs from 20 years ago in my head that I don't know what they are. Largely from mix tapes I think, or songs off the radio I taped. Occasionally I'll hear something that I know is close in sound and go down a youtube wormhole looking for it.

Thought I had nailed one the other day when I heard a sound on a podcast, went through the band's entire back catalogue that was on youtube..... nada.

That sounds vexing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dana R.
United States
Claremont
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
Devotium Popcornicus
mbmbmbmbmb

I heard this just the other day now I am humming The Beatles since.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Australia
flag msg tools
Jlerpy wrote:
casualcasual wrote:

That sounds vexing.

That's one way of putting it.

So... if anyone could point me in the direction of some 20 year old female led Scandinavian street punk verging on d-beat, or alternatively some traditional sounding heavy on the brass instrumental but still clearly 90s ska, that I haven't already checked out, I'd ,uh, appreciate it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.