Popular Tags: [View All]
László K.
United States
Hopatcong
New Jersey
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
For this question, use the two subsequent images (i.e., Illustrations 1 & 2) for visual reference.

Illustration 1: Current Game

Assumptions:

(a) It is the Austrian player's turn.
(b) The Austrian cavalry maneuver attacks via secondary road from Locale #26 (Spinetta) into Locale #15. Since this maneuver attack is successful (as per page 6 of the 2006.04.09 rulebook), the two French infantry units retreat (with appropriate losses) into Locale #24. [Assume that this is the 1st command "spent" by the Austrian player this turn.]
(c) The two Austrian units on the 16/15 approach no longer face enemy units in the opposite locale (#15).

Question:

When do the two Austrian units (i.e., the cavalry and 3-strength infantry) in Locale #16 move back to that locale's reserve?

(1) Immediately upon the resolution of (b) above, -or-
(2) At the end of the Austrian player's turn.

If the answer is (1), then as a follow-up question:

Can the two Austrian units described in the question above still move during this same turn?

Illustration 2: Locale Identifier Reference

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Garry Haggerty
United States
flag msg tools
Re: Units blocking an approach 'unopposed' must move back...
Quote:
When do the two Austrian units (i.e., the cavalry and 3-strength infantry) in Locale #16 move back to that locale's reserve?

The rules only require the units to fall back to 16 reserve by the end of the current turn.

To avoid confusion, the easiest way to handle these mandatory "fall backs" to the reserve is to do them all at the end of the turn, after all other movement is complete.

Quote:
Can the two Austrian units described in the question above still move during this same turn?

Yes. They can use a command to enter 15 because they hadn't already moved in the current turn (as you specified the maneuver attack was the first command used that turn).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
László K.
United States
Hopatcong
New Jersey
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
As follow-up question to my original follow-up question:

Is the "fallback to reserve" considered to be a unit's movement?

I ask this additional follow-up question based on Garry's reply and because the rules* state that:

Quote:
A piece may only be moved once in a turn. Once it has been moved, it may not be moved again that turn.

*See rulebook 2006.04.09, page 4, section "8. Movement", middle column, 9th paragraph from top.

Oh, and... thank you Garry.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Was George Orwell an Optimist?
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
Randy Weston - The Spirits of Our Ancestors
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The fallback to reserve will be the unit's movement if it doesn't do something else (at appropriate cp cost) first.

For example, you could pay a command point and push those units into 15, at which point they would no longer have a requirement to fall back. Or you could wait until the end of your turn, and let them fall back to reserve for free.

What you could not do is let them fall back for free and then pay a cp to move them elsewhere. That would be moving twice, which is not permitted.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Garry Haggerty
United States
flag msg tools
What George said.

To be clearer, what I should've said was that the pieces could move from 16/15 to 15 (only) by spending a command.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
László K.
United States
Hopatcong
New Jersey
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I know this wasn't in my original example, but...

What if the "fallback locale" (that is, the locale that the unit(s) would fallback into reserve for free) contained a primary road? Would cavalry moving via primary road (for free) be allowed to do so after "falling back" from an approach?

Sphere wrote:
What you could not do is let them fall back for free and then pay a cp to move them elsewhere. That would be moving twice, which is not permitted.

Based on George's quote, methinks that the answer would be nay.

OK, ok... I've put down the lead pipe and I'm now backing away from the dead horse...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Was George Orwell an Optimist?
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
Randy Weston - The Spirits of Our Ancestors
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It's a nay alright. That would just be another way of moving twice in a turn, which is prohibited. Not to mention that units can't move by road unless they begin the turn in reserve.

There are no loopholes here. Those units can either pay to move across the approach into the opposing area, or fall back for free. If they fall back, they're finished.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rachel Simmons
United States
Los Altos
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Ladislaus wrote:

(1) Immediately upon the resolution of (b) above, -or-
(2) At the end of the Austrian player's turn.

They can move at any time during the movement phase of the Austrian turn (the choice is up to the Austrian player). If they move back into reserve, they can do so at no command cost. If they move forward into the attacked locale, command points must be paid (one command point per group). Either way that is their move for the turn; they do not get another move.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.