GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!

9,532 Supporters

$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
17 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
7 Posts

Clank!: A Deck-Building Adventure» Forums » Rules

Subject: Card Actions rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Tom McGreevy
United States
Naples
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Do card actions happen as soon as you play card? For example I have the Boots that reduce clank by 2 and I need the card's money to buy a card that will give me +2 clank. Can I buy the card adding 2 clank and then reduce the clank by 2?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Dennen
United States
Denver
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmb
The -2 clank lasts until the end of the turn, so you can use it when you buy the +2 clank card to end up with 0 clank.

Generally speaking, the game was designed (and the rules were written) to be player-friendly with the way cards interact and you don't usually have to worry about timing. Another example is with teleport actions such as with Ancient Invoker or Wand of Recall -- you can use the teleport action whenever you want during the turn, you don't have to use it as soon as you play the card.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Georg Wolgast
Sweden
Lund
Skåne
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
IIRC the rulebook mentions that every card happens at the same time and lasts until the end of your turn, meaning that no matter what order you play your cards, their effects apply for the entire round. So yes, you can reduce your clank.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom McGreevy
United States
Naples
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks,Paul. Enjoyable game

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
vince wang
msg tools
a follow-up regariding card effect order,
if I draw a +1 clank card and a "discard a card and draw 2" in the same turn,
am I allowed to cancel the +1 clank by using "discard" ability?
can i decide which one take place first, +1clank or being discarded before taking effect?

can i discard a card without triggering the effect or do i have to discard it after its effect taking place??

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Hendee
United States
Frisco
Texas
flag msg tools
I do not think it means what you think it means.
badge
Whenever you become anxious or stressed, outer purpose has taken over, and you have lost sight of your inner purpose. Your state of consciousness is primary. All else is secondary.
mbmbmbmb
invinciblewood wrote:
a follow-up regariding card effect order,
if I draw a +1 clank card and a "discard a card and draw 2" in the same turn,
am I allowed to cancel the +1 clank by using "discard" ability?
can i decide which one take place first, +1clank or being discarded before taking effect?

can i discard a card without triggering the effect or do i have to discard it after its effect taking place??

You choose the order in which to play your cards. All cards must be played, unless an earlier card lets you discard a card.

By playing the card that lets you discard a card, you can discard the clank instead of playing it. This avoids generating clank with that card because it is not played.

See the last sentence in this post by the designer.
https://boardgamegeek.com/article/24171648#24171648

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
vince wang
msg tools
Thank you very much for your clarification.
that's very helpful.
regarding the sequence issue, it seems that i can play clank like all the other dbg game, such as starrealms.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.