Popular Tags: [View All]
Paul Glickman
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
designer
Hi all,

I've looked into this game and it looks really neat, but I immediately forgot about it because it doesn't fit my group well. I just realized... My father loves this kind of game!

Only issue is, he prefers things that aren't too massive and complex.

He loves Risk, Smallworld, Settlers, and Dominion. He found Warmachine too complicated. I can't think of any other games he's played that he didn't like (he can't stand coop), but could this be a really good Christmas gift idea?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
FPV
United States
California
flag msg tools
mb

I haven't played a full game yet, but I have played a solo play thru to learn the rules. It's stream lined and easy to learn. Not complex at all. I'm the same way, I hate massive and complex games. If your dad would love it, I say get it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oak Wolf
msg tools
Easy to play, but it'll take a while to master its depth.

Give him the humans for the first few games, it's easier.

If your father plays risk, he won't have any trouble with Cry Havoc at all.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Glickman
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
designer
Hm. There seem to be quite a few cards to me, with a lot of different ways to use them - how hard is it to figure out what you can do on your turn? It seems like a very dense game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Dickson
United States
Orlando
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The cards can do a lot, but they don't do anything that's unfamiliar to someone who's played games before: move guys, add guys, move/activate buildings, or whatever the card text says. Deciding which to use for which is a challenge, but not incredibly daunting.

Where the depth is in figuring out the best way to play each faction. I didn't click on to the Pilgrims' crystal generating ability until about halfway through our first play; I was too busy playing it like a typical wargame, moving and fighting and conquering, which wasn't to their strength.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
E. Strathmeyer
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
This is maybe just a little more complicated than Smallworld, but it's nowhere near as complex as Warmachine.

Rodney's instructional video (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x7KS4ijLh14) is about 20 minutes, so going purely by video length it's less complex than Mansions of Madness, Scythe, or Seafall.

Here's a playthrough video, so you can get a sense of how the game flows.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xYS1eHYYJbk

I think if your father likes Risk and Smallworld, and he's okay with the space theme, he'll get a real kick out of this game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
E. Strathmeyer
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Paul G wrote:
Hm. There seem to be quite a few cards to me, with a lot of different ways to use them - how hard is it to figure out what you can do on your turn? It seems like a very dense game.

It's pretty easy to figure out what to do. There are different cards, but not a Magic the Gathering level of complexity.

For example, each terrain decks cards have exactly the same symbols on them. They only vary in the Battle power, and there's 2 copies of each.

If there's complexity, it comes from the various powers of each faction. It means there's a small learning curve. Kinda like in Smallworld where you might not be able to fully utilize the Spirit ability on your first game, you'll need to get used to a certain faction in Cry Havoc. I'd say the Humans are easiest to learn, so maybe give him that to start.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grant Rodiek
United States
Redwood City
CA
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Paul G wrote:
Hi all,

I've looked into this game and it looks really neat, but I immediately forgot about it because it doesn't fit my group well. I just realized... My father loves this kind of game!

Only issue is, he prefers things that aren't too massive and complex.

He loves Risk, Smallworld, Settlers, and Dominion. He found Warmachine too complicated. I can't think of any other games he's played that he didn't like (he can't stand coop), but could this be a really good Christmas gift idea?

It isn't nearly as complex as Warmachine (most miniatures games are quite heavy), but it's definitely more complex than anything else you've listed.

I don't want to dissuade someone a sale because I LOVE MONEY, but you should really watch the Watch it Played video someone linked. I'm not sure this is the right fit.

The game is full of Skills and Structures, all of which are exceptions to the rules. It's a big game, without apology.

If you can, I'd try before you buy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Derr
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
Get off my Avatar NERD!
mbmbmbmbmb
I've played a few times and the hardest thing about this game isn't the complexity of the rules. The rules are fairly straight forward with the exception of a couple of fringe cases.

Honestly, what I found to be the hardest part of this game is just remembering to do everything. Remembering to add a crystal before you battle, making sure you reward all the points for each part of the battle, remembering to score prisoners, remember to flip the event token. Once you've played a few times and can remember all the smaller things that take place, you shouldn't have any issues.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.